• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FUCK YOU, RON WELLMAN

Damn. Duke probably has more conference wins than we have total wins.

I realize this isn't the popular thing to say here, but the man spent over 25 years here to this University, and while Gene Hooks was by all means a great man and wonderful representative of the university, some of the facilities issues were in dire straits and in need of improvement by the late 80's. You like those improvements to Groves Stadium? There was some work that went into play behind the scenes to get this funded.

You can disagree with some of the latter issues down the road, but he also gave us GDO (along with Childress, Duncan, and 2 ACC titles), Jim Grobe (2006 ACC Football Championship), Skip Prosser, and Dave Clawson. Pretty sure we've got a Soccer Championship along with a few great Baseball teams as well (ACC champs 1998 - 2001). I'm just as frustrated as everyone else over the past 15 years or so, but to blame everything on the prior AD for what's currently going on is ridiculous.

I realize this isn't the popular thing to say here, but the man spent over 25 years here to this University, and while Gene Hooks was by all means a great man and wonderful representative of the university, some of the facilities issues were in dire straits and in need of improvement by the late 80's. You like those improvements to Groves Stadium? There was some work that went into play behind the scenes to get this funded.

You can disagree with some of the latter issues down the road, but he also gave us GDO (along with Childress, Duncan, and 2 ACC titles), Jim Grobe (2006 ACC Football Championship), Skip Prosser, and Dave Clawson. Pretty sure we've got a Soccer Championship along with a few great Baseball teams as well (ACC champs 1998 - 2001). I'm just as frustrated as everyone else over the past 15 years or so, but to blame everything on the prior AD for what's currently going on is ridiculous.
Wellman was hired in 1992. Odom was hired in 1989. Wellman didn't get GDO.

Wellman was hired in 1992. Odom was hired in 1989. Wellman didn't get GDO.
Correct, but he extended GDO on at least two separate contracts in the 90's if I recall correctly. GDO was one of the final Gene Hooks hires. We started winning and consistently competing with the blue bloods again around 92-93 in Men's Basketball.

There's no argument Wellman absolutely did some good things for WF. He undid all of that good will by being an arrogant asshole (in general and towards the fanbase) while doubling down on [redacted] and the ridiculous contract extension for Mannequin.

Correct, but he extended GDO on at least two separate contracts in the 90's if I recall correctly. GDO was one of the final Gene Hooks hires. We started winning and consistently competing with the blue bloods again around 92-93 in Men's Basketball.
so...he didn't give us GDO.

Back