• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FUCK YOU, RON WELLMAN

He’s the Athletic Director. You can’t possibly expect him to turn around address every childish concern and outburst that some people will display in public. The AD and head coach was harassed daily in games (by our own fans), pestered repeatedly on phone calls and emails (I feel bad for the secretary), deal with silly newspaper ads and billboards, etc. etc. etc.

He’s not an idiot. He knew that folks were upset about the trajectory of our basketball program. But what did you expect him to say at the time? “By jove, you’re right Dan. [Redacted] is truly an abysmal coach. I shall fire him right now in the middle of the season”

There’s a time and place for everything.

No. I expect him to say "No, we are not happy with the results we are seeing on the court and neither is our coach. We continue to assess the situation and fully expect to see improvement. Wake Forest expects excellence from all of our coaches and players... blah blah blah" You know, normal, reasonable comments from the AD of a school that expects success from its flagship program.

No. I expect him to say "No, we are not happy with the results we are seeing on the court and neither is our coach. We continue to assess the situation and fully expect to see improvement. Wake Forest expects excellence from all of our coaches and players... blah blah blah" You know, normal, reasonable comments from the AD of a school that expects success from its flagship program.

As I read this, I realized it had been so long since I had heard reasonable comments from an AD I was completely surprised. Thanks for the reminder.

Afraid that’s not possible. Too easy for misguided posters to continue to channel their hatred towards a man that spent over 25 years of his life dedicated to this university, and who doesn’t even work here anymore. He’ll continue to be their boogeyman and the bane of their existence for decades to come.

Hahaha it's too much fun. Get over it poser. What do you expect here? This particular corner of the interwebz has always smelled a bit like a freak show with a fringe "radical" element and it ain't gonna get any better till the demons have been purged from this abortion of a basketball program.

Might as well start with you since you are a foolish abetter of this shit show dumpster fire. Out ya go, and feel free to let the door swiftly and resolutely smack you on the rear-end as you go.

To act like Wellman spent the last decade of his career acting like a normal rational AD is completely asinine and insulting. At Any other major university he would have been run out of town with his tail under his legs. At Wake he gets a fucking street named after him. Unbelievable.

It is 100% the fault of chrisdueche89. Even if he is a parody there are without a doubt people who propped Mr Wellman up that think just like that.

During the Bz years I ran into some AD employees at a bar. They were in their 20s and total wet sandwiches. They were whining about how unfair everyone was to Bz and how good of a guy he was and how it's pretty much impossible for WFU to compete against ACC teams and how unreasonable some fans' expectations were...blah blah blah.

I remember thinking then how fucked we were as a program. Currie would have to clean house and basically start over with a new culture. He was never going to do that. If we wanted a change of direction we would have hired a young up-and-comer who was hungry and ready to prove himself. Instead we bailed out a recently fired AD heavily influenced by our former AD who pretty much got a lifetime contract if he doesn't rock the boat too much. If our boosters weren't giant pussies they would have forced Manning and Wellman out together and hired the most promising AD money can buy and given him a shitpile of money to throw at the most promising young coach we could land.

Basketball is dead. It would take too many risks to turn it around. More money than we will ever spend on a coach with promise but maybe not the resume we usually look for.

He’s the Athletic Director. You can’t possibly expect him to turn around address every childish concern and outburst that some people will display in public. The AD and head coach was harassed daily in games (by our own fans), pestered repeatedly on phone calls and emails (I feel bad for the secretary), deal with silly newspaper ads and billboards, etc. etc. etc.

He’s not an idiot. He knew that folks were upset about the trajectory of our basketball program. But what did you expect him to say at the time? “By jove, you’re right Dan. [Redacted] is truly an abysmal coach. I shall fire him right now in the middle of the season”

There’s a time and place for everything.

I would expect him NOT to give an extension with a massive buyout to a losing coach. That was an idiotic and possibly criminally negligent move.

$500 this moron is a close relation to Ron. There’s literally no other explanation.

Or maybe moonz has somehow gotten better at being a nuisance.

Surprisingly, he isn't a parody account of any existing posters. He is a true believer and is clearly getting off on trolling the shit out of us with his supposed insider info about the Gaudio firing.

Surprisingly, he isn't a parody account of any existing posters. He is a true believer and is clearly getting off on trolling the shit out of us with his supposed insider info about the Gaudio firing.

Ouch. What's the deal with 80's Deacs?

Ouch. What's the deal with 80's Deacs?

The Staak era sucked any actual standards out of them. Probably some of it is growing up in the Reagan era and having a strong deference to authority.

During the Bz years I ran into some AD employees at a bar. They were in their 20s and total wet sandwiches. They were whining about how unfair everyone was to Bz and how good of a guy he was and how it's pretty much impossible for WFU to compete against ACC teams and how unreasonable some fans' expectations were...blah blah blah.

I remember thinking then how fucked we were as a program. Currie would have to clean house and basically start over with a new culture. He was never going to do that. If we wanted a change of direction we would have hired a young up-and-comer who was hungry and ready to prove himself. Instead we bailed out a recently fired AD heavily influenced by our former AD who pretty much got a lifetime contract if he doesn't rock the boat too much. If our boosters weren't giant pussies they would have forced Manning and Wellman out together and hired the most promising AD money can buy and given him a shitpile of money to throw at the most promising young coach we could land.

Basketball is dead. It would take too many risks to turn it around. More money than we will ever spend on a coach with promise but maybe not the resume we usually look for.

Good post. This is what scares me about the AD. I get the sense that winning is considered an occasional thing that happens when things line up and not a goal and expectation.

Do you have a boogeyman for all of your issues? Mr. Wellman was put in an unfortunate position with the [name redacted] hire, which was only made worse by some of the posters here treatment of him (billboards, phone calls, emails, awful fan treatment at games, etc.). We were lucky to get Danny Manning after that. He’s not working out, we get it, his time will come to leave soon enough, and John Currie will hopefully make a more youthful hire.

As far as everything else is concerned, we are leaps and bounds ahead of where we were before Mr Wellman came here. New facilities, basketball success in the 90’s and 00’s, football success in mid 00’s and more recently with Coach Clawson, and a drastic increase in revenues. That all happened under Mr Wellman’s leadership.

trollolololololololol

gtfoh

This is the same shit that has gone down in Columbia SC with the football team. AD (Ray Tanner) hires Muschamp and it is not a popular hire at all (concerning he got fired at Florida). Muschamp goes 6-7 1st year then produces a 9-4 in 2nd season by beating up on a bunch of nobodys. At this point Tanner begins to panic and goes to BOT for extension since everybody and their brother is going to come and try and take this idiot away from Gamecocks. As a side note the BOT in Columbia is a bunch of idiotic OWG's that could give a shit. As long as they get paid and get to keep being called BOT members, what do they care what happens on field. Extension is granted and buyout goes up to 25 million. For Will effing Muschamp!!

In Danny's case all this happened a little later but still for Wellman the reup this clown with his record is simply mind boggling. Like Turk, I think glory days of Wake bball are gone forever at least as I know them. I was there when they won those tourney crowns with Duncan and Chill. That was forever ago and no one but folks who witnessed it remember it.

This is the same shit that has gone down in Columbia SC with the football team. AD (Ray Tanner) hires Muschamp and it is not a popular hire at all (concerning he got fired at Florida). Muschamp goes 6-7 1st year then produces a 9-4 in 2nd season by beating up on a bunch of nobodys. At this point Tanner begins to panic and goes to BOT for extension since everybody and their brother is going to come and try and take this idiot away from Gamecocks. As a side note the BOT in Columbia is a bunch of idiotic OWG's that could give a shit. As long as they get paid and get to keep being called BOT members, what do they care what happens on field. Extension is granted and buyout goes up to 25 million. For Will effing Muschamp!!

In Danny's case all this happened a little later but still for Wellman the reup this clown with his record is simply mind boggling. Like Turk, I think glory days of Wake bball are gone forever at least as I know them. I was there when they won those tourney crowns with Duncan and Chill. That was forever ago and no one but folks who witnessed it remember it.

I live in Columbia and my wife is a USC alum. We were just talking last night about how their situation with Muschamp and our's with Manning are so similar. Unfortunately for them they're still stuck with Tanner.

And yes, their BOT is a complete train wreck.

He basically said that on numerous occasions.

Thanks I guess? It doesn’t take an insider to know that they didn’t get along.

The Staak era sucked any actual standards out of them. Probably some of it is growing up in the Reagan era and having a strong deference to authority.

Basketball was in a lull back then. We still came out for the games, but the program really started trending upwards when GDO started coaching.

At the rate some posters here have been acting, Bob Staak would have been chased to his car after every game.

Basketball was in a lull back then. We still came out for the games, but the program really started trending upwards when GDO started coaching.

At the rate some posters here have been acting, Bob Staak would have been chased to his car after every game.

Was [Redacted] chased to his car? Was Wellman chased to his car? Is Manning chased to his car?

Stop it.

Back