• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

FUCK YOU, RON WELLMAN

80-84 was one of the best runs in Wake basketball history culminating with a close regional final loss in 84. I was at Wake the same four years as Staak, no one was happy with the basketball program then. Odom came in and as we went out into the working world Wake went on its best run ever for 20 years. 80s deacs have as high of expectations for the hoops program as any. It was a big topic at homecoming a couple of months ago.

Basketball was in a lull back then. We still came out for the games, but the program really started trending upwards when GDO started coaching.

At the rate some posters here have been acting, Bob Staak would have been chased to his car after every game.

Only for a ride to Village Tavern after the game though.

Green names haven't been a thing in quite some time

You just gave a tell that you aren't a new "March 2019" poster

I’ve already explained that. If you’re so interested, feel free to look up my older posts. But yes DV7, I’ve been aware of your annoying complaints since at least 2005-2006.

I’ve already explained that. If you’re so interested, feel free to look up my older posts. But yes DV7, I’ve been aware of your annoying complaints since at least 2005-2006.

meh, I don't care enough to look through your posts

but i do find it funny that you created a new name at the end of last basketball season for some reason

I said at this rate. I don’t know if you knew this or not, but Bob Staak wasn’t exactly a high quality coach.

He was 100 times better than Manning and as good as BZz with X’s and O’s. Tacy left him with a bare cupboard and he actually was starting to turning things around when he was fired. He and Wainwright had recruited Chris King and Anthony Tucker and had been recruiting Rogers very hard. Moreover, the Joel wasn’t completed until 1990. Hooks did the right thing by firing him, as he clearly wasn’t a good fit for WFU and otherwise needed to go, but he wasn’t a bone head and walking dead man like Manning.

He was 100 times better than Manning and as good as BZz with X’s and O’s. Tacy left him with a bare cupboard and he actually was starting to turning things around when he was fired. He and Wainwright had recruited Chris King and Anthony Tucker and had been recruiting Rogers very hard. Moreover, the Joel wasn’t completed until 1990. Hooks did the right thing by firing him, as he clearly wasn’t a good fit for WFU and otherwise needed to go, but he wasn’t a bone head and walking dead man like Manning.

Staak at least beat Clemson, UNC, & Duke within 4 years. Can't remember if he ever beat UVA. Easily a better coach than dipshit.

I said at this rate. I don’t know if you knew this or not, but Bob Staak wasn’t exactly a high quality coach.

At this rate? We've been Staak level bad (or worse) for twice as long as Staak was bad and no one has been chased to their car yet. The "worst" or most aggressive thing the fan base did was take out a news paper add that listed [Redacted]'s record and a hash tag, and that was 7 years ago. If anything, the trend is away from actions like chasing a coach to their car.

At this rate? We've been Staak level bad (or worse) for twice as long as Staak was bad and no one has been chased to their car yet. The "worst" or most aggressive thing the fan base did was take out a news paper add that listed [name redacted]'s record and a hash tag, and that was 7 years ago. If anything, the trend is away from actions like chasing a coach to their car.

Agree.

The trend is toward indifference which makes a full recovery extremely difficult. Today's press conference had an almost pleading Dave Clawson asking people to show up for a team that is 7-3. Two different sports you say?? Yes. But it's ONE school and many in the community have become totally indifferent to basketball and I can't help but think it's had a significant impact elsewhere such as football. Yes, there other factors as well but Wake has done itself absolutely NO favors endearing its sports programs to the community over the past decade. The Wellman bunker mentality was not wise in a relatively small city with a small student population.

Not many people will be chasing anyone to a car these days. Those folks, many whom actually cared, have now found other things of interest after a decade of abject failure in the school's flagship sport. I certainly have.

Last edited:

You’re more far gone than I thought if you think [Redacted] and Manning are quality coaches.

Agree.

The trend is toward indifference which makes a full recovery extremely difficult. Today's press conference had an almost pleading Dave Clawson asking people to show up for a team that is 7-3. Two different sports you say?? Yes. But it's ONE school and many in the community have become totally indifferent to basketball and I can't help but think it's had a significant impact elsewhere such as football. Yes, there other factors as well but Wake has done itself absolutely NO favors endearing its sports programs to the community over the past decade. The Wellman bunker mentality was not wise in a relatively small city with a small student population.

Not many people will be chasing anyone to a car these days. Those folks, many whom actually cared, have now found other things of interest after a decade of abject failure in the school's flagship sport. I certainly have.

Amen brother. Haven’t watched a game in at least 2 years. I just listen/watch as my friends complain over text.

At this rate? We've been Staak level bad (or worse) for twice as long as Staak was bad and no one has been chased to their car yet. The "worst" or most aggressive thing the fan base did was take out a news paper add that listed [Redacted]'s record and a hash tag, and that was 7 years ago. If anything, the trend is away from actions like chasing a coach to their car.

No we’ll just put up billboards instead, so they and everyone else in W-S can drive by it everyday. I think that publicity stunt is worse.

Bob Staak was 45-69 and never above .500 in any of his seasons. I remember them. His sole redeeming highlight was the recruitment of Anthony Tucker and Chris King.

I didn’t say that. Do please try to pay attention.

Yes you did. You think we’d be harder on Staak than we have been with two horrible coaches. You must think they’re better than Staak.

Back