• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon - (and beyond) Discussion (spoilers allowed)

Yeah the NK's entire focus and existence is predicated on killing the Three Eyed Raven. So when he breaks through the castle, reanimates his dead army halfway through the battle, and has Bran cornered after killing all of the men protecting him, it doesn't seem absurd (to me at least) that he would be solely focused on finishing the job rather than keeping one last eye out for a many-faced-god-trained "no one" to come flying through the air and kill him with valyrian steel.

typical human mistake, to get so focused on the target that you overlook alternate threats

As an aside, how pitiful was Theon's effort to kill the NK? He knew he was going to die regardless, but he pulled the Rickon and ran in a straight line without any thoughts to deviate and the NK didn't even have to try hard to finish him off. NK didn't even flinch - just killed him immediately.

should have serpentined

The dragons were so underutilized.

Dany and Jon were torching the entire dead army with their strafing runs, and then just went up in the clouds to look for the Night King when they didn't know he was there?

Lighting the too small moat on fire was a great idea, and that makes sense, but why not have them keep torching the dead if that's working so well?

I guess it's not as fun a battle if you get to use your BFGs too often.

Well they know that if they kill the NK then all the dead will remain dead (based on Jon's experiences beyond the wall fighting the dead). The entire plan was to hold the castle as long as possible and try to kill the NK - either by luring him to Bran or by killing him one-on-one if they can. When they saw the third dragon and realized who was riding it, they figured it made more sense to try and finish the battle once and for all instead of continuing to kill the dead who can just be reanimated by the NK if he's still alive.

man just went back and watched Helms Deep and whoo boy that just may never be topped in 2D cinema

kinda silly to compare this to that at all

look y'all i'll come clean

i bet someone ten dollars that Arya was gonna kill the NK but I said she was gonna use a face swap so I lost on a technicality and I'm just pissed that they went with Arya's superhuman speed and quiet instead because why not face swap because faceswapping is hella dope

i feel like you can't lose because we can't verify.

NK and the WW were dumb. Why not just wait it out? Stand out there for 15 more minutes and there's no one left alive. Clearly they have some sort of tactical thought process byt the way they waited behind the trench then built human bridges. Tell the wights not to touch the guy that looks like Stephen Hawking then go do your thing when it's all over.

Gotta zig zag bro.

He also should not have telegraphed his 100 yard charge. "Weapon? Check. Boots tied? Yep. I'm pretty far away at the moment... hmmm i'll just yell and start running. He'll be too shocked to stop me."

NK and the WW were dumb. Why not just wait it out? Stand out there for 15 more minutes and there's no one left alive. Clearly they have some sort of tactical thought process byt the way they waited behind the trench then built human bridges. Tell the wights not to touch the guy that looks like Stephen Hawking then go do your thing when it's all over.

or unleash the blizzard, fly the dragon directly to weirwood and ice-fire his dumb ass before anything else happens

so is Bran gonna do anything the rest of the series or mostly continue to be useless. at least he set up the NK's death this ep.

or unleash the blizzard, fly the dragon directly to weirwood and ice-fire his dumb ass before anything else happens

Sure, but I was working under the assumption that the NK wanted to be the one to directly kill him, like Voldy in HP

He did give Arya the dagger so he probably knew what would happen.

There's a reddit theory that Bran is the Lord of Light embodied to fight the Night King (lord of ice/dark). Everything that has happened, including the dagger's location (with Arya) and the random people brought back to life (Jon, Thoros, Beric, potentially the Hound - where he basically died a few seasons ago before coming back to build houses), was orchestrated by Bran to ensure that Arya was at Winterfell for this battle specifically to kill the NK.

Melisandre is the Lord of Light's true prophet and once the NK is dead, she has no reason to continue living.

Did anyone else think Jon Snow's dragon died and then he was fighting it at the end? According to Twitter there are still two alive.

Did Bran die? Wasn't that the goal, to keep Bran from dying?

Did the NK die?

Right but it was only through an indirect and completely unforeseeable circumstance that Theon's pitiful charge at the NK kept Bran alive. And Theon certainly didn't know at the time that if he could only delay for a few more seconds, then Arya would come flying in to kill him.

I also think the show did a great job of setting up this episode from the overall carnage from previous seasons. Entering the episode there wasn't the typical sense of plot armor and so it felt like anyone could die. This only heightened the anxiety and foreboding as the battle unfolded. That no major protagonist died in the battle turned the show's themes on its head. While in most stories the protagonists survive everything until the end when one or two may die, protagonists have died throughout so when they survived it was equally as shocking when they all made it out.

That said, I'm sure plenty of death remains for the final battle in King's Landing.

Eh I disagree. I think it has been more of since the source material ran out, the showrunners have been gunshy about killing people off. There have been multiple times they could have killed off major characters but didn’t. Littlefinger and the tyrells being the only ones I can think of and they aren’t close to the stark/Lannister surprise deaths

Back