• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon - (and beyond) Discussion (spoilers allowed)

there was a lot of anticipation for the show and i don't think it lived up to the hype. the plot is laid out for you in the first episode, but unlike GOT there is not really a character you really can pull for in the story. Tyrion brought a lot to GOT, a lovable loser with a great storyline like a rollercoaster of epic ups and downs. all characters are one note...but it was just the first episode. we will keep watching...

my $0.02

But Tyrion did not bring all that in the first episode. The great thing about GOT was the character development. A lot of initial baddies were far more nuanced characters, some even becoming not-so-baddies.

I think HBO just relishes in excess these days. I mean, I don't need to see the dude's junk laid out on the chopping block. I know what happened. Don't need to see heads smashed in. One graphic sex scene in the brothel is probably enough. It is a pilot, and they normally push things in pilots, but it seemed so unnecessary. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the violence in GOT to me always seemed to a be natural extension, and not forced. The only real cringeworthy thing I recall offhand is when The Mountain crushed that dude's head.

But Tyrion did not bring all that in the first episode. The great thing about GOT was the character development. A lot of initial baddies were far more nuanced characters, some even becoming not-so-baddies.

I think HBO just relishes in excess these days. I mean, I don't need to see the dude's junk laid out on the chopping block. I know what happened. Don't need to see heads smashed in. One graphic sex scene in the brothel is probably enough. It is a pilot, and they normally push things in pilots, but it seemed so unnecessary. Maybe I'm just getting old, but the violence in GOT to me always seemed to a be natural extension, and not forced. The only real cringeworthy thing I recall offhand is when The Mountain crushed that dude's head.

I still think about that from time to time.

There are a couple scenes in this story that I am really looking forward to seeing on tv. Martin initially wrote this story in the style of a history, so there were some attempts to downplay some really cool action sequences. There is also some character developments that are glossed over in the story so I am looking forward to the show leaning into it, like you see with Alicent in the first show. So I’m pretty excited.

There are a couple scenes in this story that I am really looking forward to seeing on tv. Martin initially wrote this story in the style of a history, so there were some attempts to downplay some really cool action sequences. There is also some character developments that are glossed over in the story so I am looking forward to the show leaning into it, like you see with Alicent in the first show. So I’m pretty excited.

So is this part of the story kind of like The Silmarrillion (sp?) where you have some tales woven into a general history? Or is it mostly pieced together from bits and pieces and remembrances in the original GOT books?

So is this part of the story kind of like The Silmarrillion (sp?) where you have some tales woven into a general history? Or is it mostly pieced together from bits and pieces and remembrances in the original GOT books?

Its based on a couple chapters from the Book Fire and Blood, which Martin wrote as a history of the Targ family in Westeros. So the Silmarillion was a book of myths about the creation of the world and ancient histories, while this is only about 150 years before Game of Thrones. So more the former than the later.

it's really astonishing how hard GOT fell off the pop culture map. i haven't interacted with anything GOT since they butchered the ending of my favorite book series (lol) since the author moved on before writing an ending.

this first episode got me back. the world is still rich and assuming whoever is driving this thing actually wants to make a good show, i'm excited to see where it goes. lots of interesting threads to pick up at the end of the first hour.

The Crabfeeder was wearing a Son of the Harpy mask and had greyscale.

Daemon Targaryen could have taught Rickon Stark something about zig zagging.

Not feeling the whole Crabfeeder plot line, what am I missing? They have 3 catapults firing at ships blocking the shipping lanes. Cool. Why could Daemons dragon not just take them out in 5 seconds? The showed a scene earlier where Daemon took a faming arrow and had to retreat, which is fine, if Daemon has to be riding on the Dragon for it to attack. But then the Dragon comes in on its own during the battle scene and just wrecks havoc. Seems like this whole plot line could have been solved in 5 seconds or less

Same reason we wouldn't just wipe the taliban out in the hills in Afghanistan using air superiority. They hid in caves.

How do you think that whole Afghan war would have gone if we had a dragon though ?

Not feeling the whole Crabfeeder plot line, what am I missing? They have 3 catapults firing at ships blocking the shipping lanes. Cool. Why could Daemons dragon not just take them out in 5 seconds? The showed a scene earlier where Daemon took a faming arrow and had to retreat, which is fine, if Daemon has to be riding on the Dragon for it to attack. But then the Dragon comes in on its own during the battle scene and just wrecks havoc. Seems like this whole plot line could have been solved in 5 seconds or less

It shows Daemon and Corlys having military experience which may be useful later on in the series. As Rhaenyra said when picking someone for the Kings Guard, no one has fought a battle in a generation. It also shows Daemon is reckless and has something stuff to prove.

A dragon without a rider cant really be directed at an enemy, it does its own thing. And yes in the book this whole storyline is like maybe a page.

It shows Daemon and Corlys having military experience which may be useful later on in the series. As Rhaenyra said when picking someone for the Kings Guard, no one has fought a battle in a generation. It also shows Daemon is reckless and has something stuff to prove.

A dragon without a rider cant really be directed at an enemy, it does its own thing. And yes in the book this whole storyline is like maybe a page.

The actual dragons continue to be a problem for TV as it's a difficult balance between them being overpowered or useless. It's my understanding from the books that they were basically just overpowered which was kind of the point.

Given that crabfeeder is now dead, I think the bigger significance was that (1) the king is weak and lazy and (2) the crabfeeder supposedly had powerful people in that area supporting him. I would assume those powerful people are not pleased that he's dead.

Back