• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones - House of the Dragon - (and beyond) Discussion (spoilers allowed)

The significance is the king believes himself (and the Targaryan dynasty) to be unassailable. His hubris will contribute to their fall from power. (I've not read this source material. Only read GoT)

It feels too much like a soap opera so far that isn't nearly as smart or compelling as the original series was, even this few episodes in. I'll keep watching in hopes things improve.

It feels too much like a soap opera so far that isn't nearly as smart or compelling as the original series was, even this few episodes in. I'll keep watching in hopes things improve.
I agree with this. It is just also really easy to see what is going to happen each episode and in the series (and I havent read the history or anything). I think that is what I miss most from the original GoT series. Every episode had multiple twists and turns. It kept you on your toes. This is straightforward and the writing and acting doesnt make up for it

however, it does seem like all these shows are just writing in gay scenes to avoid the twitter backlash of not being inclusive

Counterpoint: a lot of g damn breeders in these stories. What's up with that?

I always find it silly when people use the excuse "well historically this was normal for the time" about GOT, when it comes to intermarrying and child brides and the like. There is no historical for this, its fantasy, it was written in the 2000's. If it makes you feel comfortable, its because the author wanted you to feel uncomfortable with it. We are supposed to view this show through a modern day lens.

I always find it silly when people use the excuse "well historically this was normal for the time" about GOT, when it comes to intermarrying and child brides and the like. There is no historical for this, its fantasy, it was written in the 2000's. If it makes you feel comfortable, its because the author wanted you to feel uncomfortable with it. We are supposed to view this show through a modern day lens.
Yes, and it's all directly inspired from the War of the Roses.

Yes, and it's all directly inspired from the War of the Roses.
Yes, the basis of Song of Ice and Fire was, but this is a fantasy world of his creating at his point, and it is written by a modern guy who knows that it creeps people out to talk about child brides and incest.

Yeah but as pointed out even if it’s fantasy and written to be viewed through todays world most people attribute any fantasy world, when stripped of the fantasy, to the technological level portrayed. So most of these shows people will relate it to the non-fictional historical period, so when knights and kings and shit existed.

Yeah but as pointed out even if it’s fantasy and written to be viewed through todays world most people attribute any fantasy world, when stripped of the fantasy, to the technological level portrayed. So most of these shows people will relate it to the non-fictional historical period, so when knights and kings and shit existed.
So you're not creeped out by the Corlys putting forth his young daughter to marry the king because during some thousands or so years of history this could potentially be related to it could be possibly legal? Or the Uncle-Niece stuff?

For me it’s a completely fictional show so pretty meh on anything that happens because it didn’t really happen. As far as relation to historical real world precedent another meh because it happened 100s to 1000s of years before I even exist, also the average lifespan was like 25. Now if you throw a show together based on 2022 or child brides in the present day Middle East etc… then sure fuck right off.

How about we just agree the show is lacking the luster of the original
Which season of the original? I think the show is somewhere between decent and good. Not yet great. I think that Matt Smith's Daemon is really good.

Back