• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game of Thrones Season 4: Valar Morghulis *No Book Spoilers*

With 100,000 men you'd think you could just build your own tunnel.

Anyway, it's a story.

I'd like to see whatever laborious/time-consuming solutions texasdeac10 will have during the zombiepocalpyse. Don't you remember the dead dudes marching??

Btw,

if you aren't reading "Ask the Maester" on Grantland, you should be, esp if you're not a book reader.

PRO TIP. This is great.

I've only ever read netw3rk for his NBA coverage. I should have known he'd have a GoT column too.

would prolly be difficult to tunnel due to frozen ground.

Well assuming a lot of things and simplifying the process a lot, heat of fusion of ice being like 350kJ/kg, then the combustible properties of wood being something like 15,000 kJ/kg you could melt 42kg of ice for every kg of wood. Now solid ice comes in at 28kg per cubic foot, so to walk through need about 6 feet high and 2 feet wide, so for ever foot through the wall need to melt 336kg of ice. Assume the wall is 300 feet thick? So need to melt 100,800kg of ice, or 2400kg of wood which isn't a ton, well it is around 3 tons but they just lit way more of that on fire. Then again the wall is made of magic and shit, and fire isn't going to be direct heat to ice transfer but you really should be able to just melt the damn thing.

Well assuming a lot of things and simplifying the process a lot, heat of fusion of ice being like 350kJ/kg, then the combustible properties of wood being something like 15,000 kJ/kg you could melt 42kg of ice for every kg of wood. Now solid ice comes in at 28kg per cubic foot, so to walk through need about 6 feet high and 2 feet wide, so for ever foot through the wall need to melt 336kg of ice. Assume the wall is 300 feet thick? So need to melt 100,800kg of ice, or 2400kg of wood which isn't a ton, well it is around 3 tons but they just lit way more of that on fire. Then again the wall is made of magic and shit, and fire isn't going to be direct heat to ice transfer but you really should be able to just melt the damn thing.

I'm just going to assume these were all made up numbers

Nope real numbers, but should of just googled Game of Thrones Melt the Wall with Fire, because more precise math has been done.

Did anybody else instantly think this when Sam was talking to Gillie in that storage room at Castle Black?

Just+promise+you+ll+never+die+_456653dbea87dacb6fe526e229bc4376.jpg

If we can figure out how to jerk off 800 dudes in 10 minutes, we can figure out how to tunnel through the wall.

God that giant swinging scythe thing was just ridiculous. The hand left holding onto the rope, oy.

Apparently he just started grooving up the aisle and they kept filming. That cast/crew have a good time and you can really tell they like each other. Helps the chemistry w/in the show.

Back