• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Thread: ODU 12:00 noon 9/16 ESPN2

I think he's got a solid arm and accuracy when he can actually see where he's throwing the ball/makes a decision on where it's going.

His decision making could use a good bit of work.

Last edited:
Mitch is one of those "if you had to have someone else in your bunker" type guys.

He will also not have a mental/emotional flameout and throw 3 picks in a row.

Now, is he Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts or even Sam Hartman. Maybe not.

But based on his comments post-game, you can see and hear the leadership skills.

We are gonna beat Ga. Tech - one game at a time. And a big reason why will be his solid overall play.

I think he's got a solid arm and accuracy when he can actually see where he's throwing the ball too/makes a decision on where it's going.

His decision making could use a good bit of work.
I'm not sold on functional accuracy. There have been more than a few passes that were behind the receivers on slants/crossing routes that would have been completions if they had been on target. These are small misses and not huge overthrows, etc. but several times it has been the difference between a completion and a near int.

I do think this comes back to decision making more than skill. He's thinking way too much on the reads (and looks like he's giving too much weight to what could go wrong than the opportunity that will be opening up - obviously this is speculation because I don't know the guy and can't read his mind during a game). The big difference so far that I see between Sam and Mitch isn't necessarily ability, but mindset. Sam was at times reckless and overconfident in his ability to make a throw - and that got him in trouble, especially early in his career. I think Mitch is the opposite, where he's being too cautious and that causes mistakes/gives the defense an opportunity to recover and make plays. There are times he just needs to fling it and trust it will be ok.

I agree with you there, and I think that's more to timing than anything, which can be fixed with better and quicker decision-making.

Hopefully that will be fixed with more time under his belt. I think we are just so used to having a sure thing at QB for at least 10-11 games out of the year that we forgot what it was like to have a guy with growing pains. We knew Sam was going to have THAT game at least once a year, but basically every other game he was elite.

Mitch has something to work with. The coaches have enough film on him and the offense. It’s time for them to figure out which mechanics he needs to focus on this week, and then call plays that will put him in excellent position to succeed. Time for the coaches to coach! Which they’ve proven they can do. I’m expecting good things Saturday.

It may work or may not, but a "quick fix" could be to just scramble as a default after a rough 3 count in his head. They've got way more angles and film than I do on it, but it seems to me that there have been plenty of holes for even 3-4 yards once it breaks down after his second read, and that would prevent the big losses/forced throws that he is making. He's got wheels and that utilizes them in a positive manner up and down the field instead of side to side.

Mitch is one of those "if you had to have someone else in your bunker" type guys.

He will also not have a mental/emotional flameout and throw 3 picks in a row.

Now, is he Josh Allen, Jalen Hurts or even Sam Hartman. Maybe not.

But based on his comments post-game, you can see and hear the leadership skills.

We are gonna beat Ga. Tech - one game at a time. And a big reason why will be his solid overall play.

Not to pile on the kid, since overall I agree with IaT's assessment, but Griffis threw what could / should have been picks on three consecutive passes towards the end of the 2nd quarter.

Last edited:
Mitch's 2nd half stats, when WF scored 27 to win on the road:

15 for 19 200 yards 3 TDs 1 pick. Not terrible.

Realize that he was horrible in the first half, and the opponent was ODU, but with the game in the balance, Griffis raised his game and helped WF win. Griffis has played meaningful snaps in 4 college games and 2 of those games were against FCS schools. Last Saturday was his first road start. Even with his experience in the program, it's going to take game reps to raise his game. Think he will get there.

Mitch's 2nd half stats, when WF scored 27 to win on the road:

15 for 19 200 yards 3 TDs 1 pick. Not terrible.

Realize that he was horrible in the first half, and the opponent was ODU, but with the game in the balance, Griffis raised his game and helped WF win. Griffis has played meaningful snaps in 4 college games and 2 of those games were against FCS schools. Last Saturday was his first road start. Even with his experience in the program, it's going to take game reps to raise his game. Think he will get there.
The whole team raised their game in the 2nd half. Every aspect was better in the 2nd half, even the defense which played pretty good the whole game, took it to another level in the 2nd half.

The whole team raised their game in the 2nd half. Every aspect was better in the 2nd half, even the defense which played pretty good the whole game, took it to another level in the 2nd half.

Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

There were some throws on the money that Grimes dropped or did not come back for. Ball placement was on point.
I hope we look back at the year and just say “Griffis is good, it just took him 3 games to get there”

I don’t know if he will get there or not but he did a great job getting us across the finish line Saturday. Said it against Vandy the biggest issue Mitch has is this offense relies on a deep threat to keep the defense from stacking the box 8 deep. Sam had that deep ball and you’re gonna get annihilated one on one downfield with Sam there. Mitch hasn’t shown that yet and I think it’s the major macro issue as far as game plan is concerned. Can he get there? Absolutely. Will he? No idea.

Again, I'm not sure how you teach pocket presence. I guess there are some coaching techniques but teaching someone internal timing and instinct is damn near impossible.

Can Mitch improve? ABSOLUTELY he can! Will he be "that guy"? I have my doubts but hope he proves me wrong!!

Yeah, I just went back and Griffis was definitely solid in the 4th quarter and was getting the ball out on time and with some anticipation, so some room for optimism & hope. The 3rd and 11 to Banks on the first 4th quarter drive stood out to me the most.

Yeah, I just went back and Griffis was definitely solid in the 4th quarter and was getting the ball out on time and with some anticipation, so some room for optimism & hope. The two conversions on 3rd and long to Williams and Banks stood out to me the most.

Your post reminded me of 2006. It was hot, we were playing Duke, people were bored and the team absolutely sucking swamp ass and then we blocked a field goal to win that game.

Three months later.... many of us were in Miami. So....

That second half defense, if we see it all four quarters of games, will win a lot of games.

The most concerning part about the game is that we saw old dominion second half ability and we were somehow down 17-0 to that team at halftime and it could have easily been 23-0. That’s the second worst team ability we will see all year after Elon. They had no chance of moving the ball on offense

The most concerning part about the game is that we saw old dominion second half ability and we were somehow down 17-0 to that team at halftime and it could have easily been 23-0. That’s the second worst team ability we will see all year after Elon. They had no chance of moving the ball on offense
21 of ODU's points were scored while Wake was on offense. That absolutely has to be cleaned up for Wake to get many more wins.

Back