• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Thread: ODU 12:00 noon 9/16 ESPN2

Definitely need more "on schedule" quick throws. Much of that is on Griffis, but some is on coaching re: the longer developing routes we've discussed, at times. More slants & shallow crosses should help a lot, though Grififs' height could come into play more there. And even a straight go route to Grimes/Banks can be quick hitting, as we often see in the red zone.

It's hard for me to believe that the plays we are running are vastly different from what we did the past several years under Hartman, where he consistently got the ball out quick to his outside receivers. My hypothesis (hard to validate from the TV angles) is that while Hartman was very comfortable throwing to guys before they got open, Griffis currently lacks the confidence/anticipation to do so.

It was likely the same type of play call as the pick-6, based on the defense that Elon and ODU were playing (think that the MLB was deeper for Elon), but that's just a post-snap read that Mitch has to make. He's got plenty of room to make that throw.
I don't think he does tbh! Which is why I was fine with him not throwing it. MLB is closer for Elon (6 yards) than ODU(7 when Mitch first pumps). That's not a throw you really want someone to loft with a safety over the top of it because it's much easier for that one to be errant. Has to be a bullet out of his hand and leading the receiver, which is why the Elon MLB got it pretty much in his face.

I do see when you freeze it at like the 3 second mark that the MLB is bit more centrally located when the throw would've had to be made. It would've had to be a bullet to get there I think and exactly on time. Hard to tell without the all-22 from behind.

yeah that’s the case on a lot of these - it’s hard to tell in real time if there are guys open and griffis didn’t get the ball out or our guys weren’t able to get space

Just rewatched the highlights, and on the pick-6, Demond double-blocked a lineman instead of picking up the blitz, so he didn't touch the guy up the middle at all.

Also, the second touchdown throw to Morin and the TD to Banks were pretty solid throws from Mitch. If we can get him out of the pocket and moving to throw then he seems to be pretty successful. Just has to get comfortable.
its good, that after that game, Demond found the camera and basically said, "we will get better." acknowledging the shortcomings.

That's a good attitude from a youngster.

Last edited:
Good test coming Saturday to see where we stand at large. Touchdown favorites, 6:30 kickoff. Let’s pack the stadium and get to 4-0

Griffis is high on the intangibles…leadership, knowledge of the system, heart/grit. It is hard to not pull for him. However, some of the metrics are very concerning: size, speed, and arm strength. Some of this could be overcome by better decision making unfortunately our line and missed assignments has forced him to make decisions quicker than he should. The bottom line is that Griffis has a lot to overcome and so far he has not shown the ability to compensate for his lack of some metrics at this level. It is only going to get more difficult. Hopefully we will see a better performance on Saturday

Griffis is high on the intangibles…leadership, knowledge of the system, heart/grit. It is hard to not pull for him. However, some of the metrics are very concerning: size, speed, and arm strength. Some of this could be overcome by better decision making unfortunately our line and missed assignments has forced him to make decisions quicker than he should. The bottom line is that Griffis has a lot to overcome and so far he has not shown the ability to compensate for his lack of some metrics at this level. It is only going to get more difficult. Hopefully we will see a better performance on Saturday

What if Mitch’s greatest intangible ? Provide example.

Please don’t say he didn’t hang his head and quit Saturday.

Except for one game last year and a few random mop up snaps, Griffis spent three years in "don't hit me" jerseys. It seems to be taking him a while to adjust to the new reality of being target #1 for opposing defenses. He looked better in half 2 Saturday. That uptick needs to continue to be his trajectory.

i am not giving up on Griffis yet. he played poorly in first half but got things clicking in the second half.

we really need to cut down turnovers if we are going to a bowl...duh!

He's going to need to take a step this week in my opinion. We also need to come up with a plan that moves him out of the pocket and gives him some more time. A lot of that starts with a healthy tight end room and Ellison in the game.

Back