• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Thread: ODU 12:00 noon 9/16 ESPN2

Exactly! Which even Mitch CLEARLY stated in his presser... "I sucked" and "the defense won us the game".
He certainly wasn’t good in first half but the play calling was equally as baffling in the first half. Third & one after running for nine yards and throwing across the field on a 5 yd out pattern was weird. First & goal from the 3 and Mitch goes back to pass with Claiborne in the backfield and rolls left, fumbles and they get 7 the other way? Damn.

Wake hasn't looked good yet against a very weak schedule. I don't think 4-0 will get Wake into the polls even with a bye week before Clemson.
I think you are exactly correct. First four games are weak as water and we should be and need to be 4-0. Now I think we can get Pitt and know we can get VT on the road and State for at least 7 wins. The rest will be tough unless we play much better.

The staff has used the transfer portal with great results on defense. I have no doubt they'd be willing to take a quarterback if they're not convinced that Griffis is the man.
I think they could look at QB but with our mesh RPO I would think bringing in a portal dude would be a hard transition. Need a home grown product who has practiced thus A LOT.

This isn’t Georgia or Alabama, we don’t have All American recruits lined up behind Mitch just waiting to steal his spot. He won the job, and pretty obvious the coaching staff has more trust and patience with him than the posters on this board.
Alabama?

I think you are exactly correct. First four games are weak as water and we should be and need to be 4-0. Now I think we can get Pitt and know we can get VT on the road and State for at least 7 wins. The rest will be tough unless we play much better.
Verdict is still out on Cuse too. Purdue is pretty terrible (even though they beat VT).

Idk the mesh rpo isn't complicated at all and now we don't even run it that much anymore
The Wake slow mesh RPO requires a lot of defensive player reads by the QB. Pre-snap: How many in the box? Any blitzers? Anybody bailing out of the box? Post-snap: LB/safety/nickel key guys. Decide on RB run or pass. If pass, then pass route progression reads. If no open receivers, read line blocking for best QB run route.

The RPO puts a lot on the QB. If it gets down to QB run, the QB has read about half the defensive players. It takes time to learn which guys to read when and how to read them.

Griffis obviously had a terrible day, but the line and RB blocking was pretty poor too in picking up any sort of late blitzes. I think it was mentioned, but on the pick 6, Demond almost completely whiffed on a chip block on the LB blitzing and did nothing to deter him from getting to Mitch. The ball shouldn't have been thrown, but the guy was shot out of a cannon. The play calling didn't do much to alleviate a guy who was already a bit low on confidence, especially in the red zone. The scoop and score should have been a run play (obviously he held the ball way too long trying to do something), and we put too much pressure on him imo.

I know what “or” means.

If you list two things separated by “or”, then in the context of your sentence it means you believe both of them to be plausible.

Now you are apparently admitting that a 5 star is not plausible. If you think your original sentence holds up, then…

That’s a shame for my Wake Forest degree. And Bless your heart.

Also, your original statement was 4 or 5 stars who were in the bench for a power program. These guys are increasing their rating while riding pine. So you clearly were not referring to transfers who increased their value at another school.

So, we’ve established that you don’t understand basic English and that you are full of shit.

I’m going to keep mocking your 5-star comment.
I was a little buzzed last night, but man, you are really dense.

Off the top of my head, with zero research, I can recall Hunter Johnson, a former 5 star, transferring from Clemson to Northwestern, so yeah, it's plausible, if not unlikely. There are probably other examples out there. I think we have a slightly better offensive reputation than NW.

Now, Hunter Johnson also sucked and got benched at NW, which supports Cam's point. You've got 2 different types of players "transferring down" from blue blood programs. Kids that just aren't very good, and won't be quality starters at any P5/FBS school and kids that are buried on the depth chart and want to play right away, particularly for an elite offensive program. I still think we could be a great spot for the latter, though I also don't think that's the culture that Clawson has built around the QB position.

Lol, and after 2 minutes of research, JT Daniels, a former 5 star, transferred to Rice just this year.

And Indiana and Cal got 4 star transfers. I think Wake has a little better program reputation that those 3 programs.

Not sure if it was brought up as I skimmed the final few pages, but the staff might prefer having guys who have been in the system for 2-3 years since it's pretty unique. If we were going to bring in a 4-5 star (if we could land one) QB transfer, then I would expect us to change up the offense a bit. I doubt Ruggiero and Clawson want to do that given the success we've had the past 5 years on that side of the ball running our stuff. Now that could change as the year goes along, but we're still averaging 33 PPG (albeit against a bad schedule so far).

Not sure if it was brought up as I skimmed the final few pages, but the staff might prefer having guys who have been in the system for 2-3 years since it's pretty unique. If we were going to bring in a 4-5 star (if we could land one) QB transfer, then I would expect us to change up the offense a bit. I doubt Ruggiero and Clawson want to do that given the success we've had the past 5 years on that side of the ball running our stuff. Now that could change as the year goes along, but we're still averaging 33 PPG (albeit against a bad schedule so far).
There are a lot of different ways to approach the portal. From what I can tell, Clawson's approach is to emphasize the value of a Wake degree and his commitment to seeing his student athletes through to graduation (and beyond). This then follows with a very low rate of transfers out of the program - I think we are top 5 in the country in keeping players. So, portal shopping at the most prominent position is not likely an approach he will employ.

The Wake slow mesh RPO requires a lot of defensive player reads by the QB. Pre-snap: How many in the box? Any blitzers? Anybody bailing out of the box? Post-snap: LB/safety/nickel key guys. Decide on RB run or pass. If pass, then pass route progression reads. If no open receivers, read line blocking for best QB run route.

The RPO puts a lot on the QB. If it gets down to QB run, the QB has read about half the defensive players. It takes time to learn which guys to read when and how to read them.
Yeah but every QB is pretty well versed on reading the defense pre snap. Post snap requires a little more but nothing crazy.

I'm just not convinced that a veteran QB couldn't pick up our offense in a month easily

I still maintain we're not going to get a 5-star QB to transfer into WF to help our QB situation. We are extremely unlikely to get a 4-star QB to transfer into WF to help our QB situation. And it is obvious that Clawson and company like continuity in the QB room - which would be upset if we took a transfer, potentially requiring us to rely on future transfers. Even if you get lucky once, if you continually need transfers at QB, eventually you probably get a Jurkovec or an Armstrong.

We've gotten some transfer help on the defensive side. Malik Mustapha and Jacob Roberts were not 4-star prospects, out of high school or as transfers.

Calling someone dense because you got buzzed and couldn't understand a simple sentence - cool!

Lol, and after 2 minutes of research, JT Daniels, a former 5 star, transferred to Rice just this year.

And Indiana and Cal got 4 star transfers. I think Wake has a little better program reputation that those 3 programs.
JT Daniels has got to be close to the record for most schools playing starting QB at. Think Rice is his fourth school as QB1

Back