• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Game Thread: ODU 12:00 noon 9/16 ESPN2

Yeah. That’s not happening. And not just because of Clawson; demand is greater than supply.

According to 247, there were 4 five star QB’s in the class of 2022. Three of them - Klubnik, Allar, Wiegman- are starting. The fourth. Simpson, plays for Alabama. Those guys aren’t transferring to WF
OK, do 4 stars.

Me thinking we'll have all kinds of trouble with the GT O and QB.
While Ga Tech dominated TOP with over 39 min, their defense surrendered over 500 total yds and 48 pts to a very good, ranked Ole Miss, and 300 was rushing yds. Tech QB threw for over 300, and they ran for 167 yds. Neither team had a turnover.

Can the Deacs run their 3-headed RB tandem effectively to set up the pass for Mitch, and have no turnovers? Both will be important. Was disappointed we didn’t see Carney yesterday. Agree with others that we need Mitch to be on the move out of the pocket where he has more comfort and field vision.

OK, do 4 stars.
Devin Brown (tOSU), Walker Howard(LSU -> Ole Miss), Gunnar Stockton (UGA), Nick Evers (Okla -> Wisco), Maalik Murphy (Texas), Brady Allen (Purdue -> UL), Kaitlin Houser (Mich St) -> Tayven Jacksen (Tenn -> IU), AJ Duffy (FSU), Holdon Geriner (Aub), Sam Horn (Mizz), Jacurri Brown (Mia), Justyn Martin (UCLA), Zach Pyron (GT)

So: guy who didn't really look good with best receivers in CFB, transfer that's behind a broken man in Spencer Sanders, who knows with UGA QBs, transfer, Murphy probably starts next year if Ewers declares, transfer riding the bench, guy who couldn't beat out Noah Kim, starter, Duffy is fighting for the starter job next year at FSU, Auburn's QBs are just ungood, Horn is alright(?), Brown might start at Miami next year if TVD declares, Martin has gotten passed up by a freshman and a transfer, Pyron wasn't good enough to beat out Haynes King.

So the best option there is maybe a super unproven guy in Stockton or Horn who wasn't good enough to win his QB battle? And that's before even touching the transferring in and losing credits portion of things.

I think we see the flashy lights of Sam/Penix/Nix/Caleb but in reality, the transfer QB market is extremely stinky. 3 reasons for them to enter the portal: they stunk at their old place and need somewhere to go, they want a bag from somewhere, or they already know where they're going.

State was able to get Jacoby Brissett from Florida and then Ryan Finley from Boise State. Those worked out quite well.

After watching the Wake and BC games yesterday I was thinking maybe we’d go 5-7. But then I watched Pitt and Ga Tech and 6-6 is still my pick.

i think after the run of wolford-newman-hartman, it’s pretty understandable if our coaches had a ton of confidence in their ability to develop good qbs internally.

if griffis continues to struggle then maybe they will revisit that belief when going into the offseason

and things can change. Nobody would have figured that BC would outgain FSU by 100 yards after their 1st two games.

But Griffis needs to figure it out and quick.

The staff has used the transfer portal with great results on defense. I have no doubt they'd be willing to take a quarterback if they're not convinced that Griffis is the man.

And you are an asshole
I would remind you that ad hominem attacks are not allowed on this forum. Luckily you went to a tier two law school and you speak a smidgen of Latin and you know what I’m talking about. Attack the post, not the poster

And not a single post complaining that Claiborne only had 11 carries, while Ellison had 16. My what a difference a week makes.
Not directly, but there were plenty of posts complaining that we weren't running the ball when we should have been. Who the RB should have been in those moments was a smaller issue.

Perhaps Griffis turns it around but there is a LOT to be fixed and little time to do it. I don't know HOW you teach pocket presence. An NFL scout once told me that you cannot teach someone to see the field. They either have it or they don't. You can teach them progressions and reading defenses but that God-given talent to see the field is just that.

I hope he proves me wrong and we go 13-0! But the happy feet and holding the ball 6 and 7 seconds is not going to work in most games.

Perhaps Griffis turns it around but there is a LOT to be fixed and little time to do it. I don't know HOW you teach pocket presence. An NFL scout once told me that you cannot teach someone to see the field. They either have it or they don't. You can teach them progressions and reading defenses but that God-given talent to see the field is just that.
I'm sure there is some truth in this, but we have all also seen games where the same QB can look incredible or terrible. Hartman threw 3 picks and had 3 fumbles last year at Louisville as Wake gave up 35 points in the third quarter; there is some variability with almost all QBs from game to game regarding their pocket presence.

ODU brought the house in our first few possessions and the oline did not protect well. That seemed to really get into Griffis' head, and altered his pocket presence for most of the game.

As was pointed out above, Griffis has significantly better stats through his first 6 games than Hartman did. Obviously the time in the program needs to be considered when making the comparison, but I trust Clawson and staff when it comes to football offense. They aren't perfect, but they're really good.

Back