• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Garden and Gun's Ultimate Southern Food Bracket

Put a little garlic powder in your pimento cheese and mixing the kinds of cheese does really really help.

Edit: Paula deen puts cream cheese in hers, I actually think it adds to the pimento cheese but don't over do it.

Soft Shell Crab v Roasted Oysters is a little unfair. Both could make my final 4.

This thread inspired me to get a subscription to Garden and Gun. I found 12 issues for $6.43 online through MagazineDealsNow.com and using a discount code MPS10.

Last edited:
I've heard that a good gumbo and a good boudin are insanely good when they are good. Most of my hate for food from cajun background comes from King Cake. That shit is disgusting.

Not liking cajun food because of king cake would be similar to not liking bbq because of baked beans.

a couple of dashes of texas pete is essential in pimento cheese. just like grandma used to make it.

Soft Shell Crab v Roasted Oysters is a little unfair. Both could make my final 4.

This thread inspired me to get a subscription to Garden and Gun. I found 12 issues for $6.43 online through MagazineDealsNow.com and using a discount code MPS10.

Softshell crab is the sheeet. Headed to the Nol-ya tomm and will defs be eating some of that and some crawdaddies.

Not a fan of roasted oysters. The only way Oysters should be served in shell should be fresh and raw.

If you are gonna cook them, fry them and stick them in a po boy.

ETA: pic of my soft shell crab benedict from Stanley on Jackson Square a few months ago.

330z9dy.jpg

Last edited:
I love a good oyster roast when you either steam or roast them till they just open. Slap that on a saltine with some cocktail sauce/texas pete and you are good to go.

Softshell crab is the sheeet. Headed to the Nol-ya tomm and will defs be eating some of that and some crawdaddies.

Not a fan of roasted oysters. The only way Oysters should be served in shell should be fresh and raw.

If you are gonna cook them, fry them and stick them in a po boy.

Agreed. Steamed oysters are the worst. Don't be a pansy. Eat them raw.

A friend of mine makes a pimento cheese that I'm pretty convinced is the best pimento cheese on earth, and I'm someone who grew up on pimento cheese. That said, it is a "secret family recipe" that she refuses to share. GAH.

Its a really awesome magazine.

Country Ham Biscuits are going to lose in Round 1??!! What the heck?

I voted Brunswick stew, because Low Country Boil should NEVER be called Frogmore Stew. (Unless you are ignorant.)

And Brunswick Stew IS Lowcountry

Agreed. Steamed oysters are the worst. Don't be a pansy. Eat them raw.

I do several oysters roasts a year with 3-5 bushels per. The nice thing about an oyster roast is that you can accommodate all types of preferences. You have to get the things open and a little wet heat does the trick. Some get pulled off and opened as soon as they loosen up and are basically raw. Others I can leave on longer until they are "cooked". For some reason some people prefer this (not me). The left over ones are always good for frying. I still steam them a little to make it easier to open. I would love to see some you "pansies" open a bushel of oysters with no heat to help the process along.

I went Pulled, Mac (i prefer Turnips over Collards and if you've had
my moms mac n cheese, you wouldn't even hesitate), Cornbread (if
Brisket wins I'm giving up on the South), Bbq Hash (its delicious, a
staple in Augusta GA), She Crab (if you've ever had a great bowl of
this stuff you'll know its better than any shrimp n grit),
Oysters,
Brunswick, Boiled pnuts, Tomato Pie (should have been up against
something else, Mater pie is a sweet 16 dish IMO), Deviled (this was
my first Sophie's Choice), CF Steak (my 2nd Sophie's Choice), Cobbler,
Catfish, Red beans, Boudin, Gumbo (the Cajun bracket sucks as a whole,
I'd vote for tomato pie over alllll of that stuff.)

Can't argue with most of your choices, but the She Crab Soup is where I definately agree. Losing pretty badly when I voted, I attribute this to many people never having tried it.

Can't argue with most of your choices, but the She Crab Soup is where I definately agree. Losing pretty badly when I voted, I attribute this to many people never having tried it.

i think this is affecting several of the match-ups. some of the less-easily-available dishes seem to be losing just because people have never tried them.

Crawfish boil is awesome. Did it last year over Labor Day. This is a cool bracket, but it makes me sad every time one of my favorite foods goes down.

My hardest choice was between She-crab soup and shrimp-and-grits. They are both my favorite low country dishes. Chose she-crab since we have shrimp-and-grits a lot here. Mmm, got the taste for Charleston tonight....

Back