• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Garden and Gun's Ultimate Southern Food Bracket

Yeah, even though South Carolina is north of me, I'm gonna have to call BS on that one. (Unless people from Charleston are "city-folk")

I am familiar with the real Beaufort (it's in SC), not so much with the community of Frogmore though.

Agreed. Frogmore's nothing more than a traffic stop with two diners on the way out to Hunting Island and Fripp.

I didn't realize that pimento cheese was a southern thing. Sanders Ridge Winery in Yadkin county makes the best p.c. Has a real smoky flavor. Delish!

That makes 2 of us for pimento cheese. I probably like cheese more than I knew... choosing mac & cheese over pulled pork, and pimento cheese over fried chicken. :couch:

I'm realizing I've only had one food in the lowcountry section: Shrimp & Grits. Don't believe I've ever had she crab soup, roasted oysters, soft shell crab, frogmore stew, brunswick stew (possiblyI've had this), hoppin' john or boiled peanuts.

I've had everything 'cept for hoppin'john I think. I'm not sure about frogmore stew, but I think someone alluded to that being the same thing as a low country boil earlier, so if that's the case then I've had that too.

Clearly yankees have been influencing the voting because some amateur hour stuff has gotten into the 2nd round.

for anybody who was looking for a REALLY easy way to make pimento cheese, HT shredded cheese is buy 2, get 3 free this week.

certainly not fancy, but super easy/cheap.

Clearly yankees have been influencing the voting because some amateur hour stuff has gotten into the 2nd round.

I don't know if your judgment of Southern food should be considered given that you based your whole assessment of Cajun/Creole on King Cake (which is delicious btw).

You guys must be talking about a different tomato pie than what I think of because I associate it with New Jersey

HALP...inform an ignorant yank*

*not really to both

I don't know if your judgment of Southern food should be considered given that you based your whole assessment of Cajun/Creole on King Cake (which is delicious btw).

Actually I asses it as all overrated. King Cake is the glaring example. Gumbo/Boudin can be pretty good but I just hate that Cajun gets a whole bracket, its like giving the non-BCS schools a chance in a 4 team college playoff. Doesn't really make sense due to the body of work of the other categories.

but that region has arguably the biggest food city in the South (among contenders like Atlanta and Charleston), let alone the country

I would also argue that something like gumbo is way more popular nationally than something like hoppin john

That makes 2 of us for pimento cheese. I probably like cheese more than I knew... choosing mac & cheese over pulled pork, and pimento cheese over fried chicken. :couch:

Totally with you on this, RTQ. Pimento cheese over fried chicken was a no brainer for me, but the pulled pork/mac and cheese match up was really tough.

Brunswick Stew (especially from Smithfields) is incredible and better not lose to freaking Hoppin John. What a joke.

Is mac & cheese a southern dish? I've seen it all over the country and never presented as belonging to any particular region, let alone the south.

Absent poll skewing, this is going to wind up pulled pork vs fried chicken.

Wtf beignets? I mean...those are alright, but pretty much every other item on there is more south iconic. Beignets are a NOLA only thing. Plus oyster po boys PWN.

Back