• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gaudio Firing

Based on what I've come to understand over the years, the "culture" argument made early was true. Wellman really did want to go after "4 year players", whatever the hell those are. Dino was unwilling. We've heard confirmation of that from insiders and past players. The issue is that Wellman, after realizing the disaster of the first few games, shifted the culture argument to mean something else. Suddenly misdeeds were being made public, players were being alienated/pushed out, etc, etc. A scapegoat was created.
That's sort of what I think too, but I think both "culture" arguments were being made from the start. Wellman used it publicly in the way you note but Bz used it the other way right out of the gate, which he's done everywhere he's been. When the losing started, Wellman just agreed with Bz. That tells me Wellman agreed with Bz to some degree from the start.

These lines are telling:

"It has to be someone who can take over the program and reach the goals and objectives we have," Wellman said. "We're not out to win the press conference. I'm not saying we won't, but that's not the priority. I want someone for long-term success."

"The person we hire may or may not have a national championship under his belt or a conference championship. I don't know," Wellman said. "But I will be absolutely convinced that the coach can do the job at Wake Forest. The fit is really important at Wake Forest. We can't have someone going to change the values or the ideals or the standards of this university. We have to have a representative of the university, rather than someone changing the university."

This leads me to believe Bz was clearly the guy from the start. Any talks with Brad Stevens were merely lip service, as these statements more or less affirm his feelings about hiring Bz. Wellman really thought Bz was the guy who could build a winning program at WF while emphasizing his beloved "values" and "culture." We now know that the only values and culture this athletic department displays are ones that protects the AD at all costs, no matter what lies are told and people are destroyed in the process. Ron Wellman's culture is a disaster and any person associated with WF should be appaled and ashamed of his behavior.

Brad Stevens was not going to be the coach here.

Dino Gaudio was fired for what happened off the court, not on the court....I thought this was public knowledge.

Yes, Wellman is too egotistical to admit [Redacted] was a bad hire.

I'm hearing the coaching search has quietly already begun. One of the big donors is a good friend of mine. He mentioned that there have been meetings (not with coaches) but with some sort of headhunter types to discuss the process. I know that RW has not used this type of service in the past but from my pals' inner-circle conversations, it makes sense.

Wake Forest is 5-27 in February and March under Jeff [Redacted].

You act like that's a bad thing....Per Ron wellman's 'State of the Union', it appears there are tons of coaches that have shitty records, no fans in the seats, and can't get a guy to be coherent behind the mic. What's your problem?

I don't like being lied to and/or having my intelligence insulted. I'm weird like that.

I'd be curious to read the exact words regarding culture from [Redacted]'s first press conference and Clawson's first press conference. I suspect they are extremely similar.
Why suspect when you could actually read them?

It just makes it worse that Wellman knew what he was doing the whole time when he fired Dino. Bzzz was the man the whole time. Tear.

Pride and cultural values are not a bad thing...

I can remember the days of the FSU Criminoles and the endless parade of Miami players having issues (football) and how they were perceived nationally. We were all proud our players seemed to be above all of that.

I remember when Wake was one of only five NCAA schools that had never been under investigation (the closest we came was when we gave a t-shirt and sneakers to the basketball player who ultimately ended up at UNC, but opened the door for Duncan).

I can remember telling Dave Odom how proud I was of the interviews provided by our players - they were all respectiveful, literate, seemingly nice young persons and great representatives of our school.

I remember a special about pre-season Wake football with interviews given by Grobe and Lobo following the 2006 season (I believe). I remember how Grobe talked about his relationships with his players which extended beyond football. I remember thinking - wow - this guy is the perfect representative of what Wake Forest is all about.

I remember listening to Skip interviews, and thinking how he was such a great man and such a great representative of the University.

Listen to the Arnold Palmer's of the world who still has school pride after all of these decades.

It counts for something, it is real - it should not be dismissed so easily.

Nor, should it be used as merely a cheap excuse by the AD.

(And, PhillyDeac, I for one do not know the publicly disclosed issues off the court that led to Dino's ouster. Are you referring to player's troubles or are there issues related directly to Dino?)

I can remember the days of the FSU Criminoles and the endless parade of Miami players having issues (football) and how they were perceived nationally. We were all proud our players seemed to be above all of that.

I remember when Wake was one of only five NCAA schools that had never been under investigation (the closest we came was when we gave a t-shirt and sneakers to the basketball player who ultimately ended up at UNC, but opened the door for Duncan).

I can remember telling Dave Odom how proud I was of the interviews provided by our players - they were all respectiveful, literate, seemingly nice young persons and great representatives of our school.

I remember a special about pre-season Wake football with interviews given by Grobe and Lobo following the 2006 season (I believe). I remember how Grobe talked about his relationships with his players which extended beyond football. I remember thinking - wow - this guy is the perfect representative of what Wake Forest is all about.

I remember listening to Skip interviews, and thinking how he was such a great man and such a great representative of the University.

Listen to the Arnold Palmer's of the world who still has school pride after all of these decades.

(And, PhillyDeac, I for one do not know the publicly disclosed issues off the court that led to Dino's ouster. Are you referring to player's troubles or are there issues related directly to Dino?)

Wake was actually put on probation under Odom for the issue you reference. It was a "mild" probation in that there was no TV ban, but it was not just an investigation. Wake was found guilty and punished.

I thought it was that Wake provided Maktar with an interpreter and the interpreter committee some minor violations.

None of this is anywhere close to being a justification for the hiring and retention of Buzz.

The point is that the things you mention (which of course should be valued) are not mutually exclusive with winning. We are being told, in effect, that they are.

I'm hearing the coaching search has quietly already begun. One of the big donors is a good friend of mine. He mentioned that there have been meetings (not with coaches) but with some sort of headhunter types to discuss the process. I know that RW has not used this type of service in the past but from my pals' inner-circle conversations, it makes sense.

If what your friend says is true, sounds like Wellman burned up a lot of goodwill with the Buzz hire. Seems that those whose opinion matters don't trust Wellman to make the next hire either. Guess the lunatic fringe is not so out there as some want to believe.

We had a NCAA violation in '83. IIRC, it was for having a press conference to announce Mark Cline's commitment.

That was under Carl Tacy.

Back