• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gaudio Firing

How many of us would love to be 16-17 in the month of February at this point?

Lol that was considered a #6 recruiting class. Geez - and of course only 1 of the 5 made it to junior year

Everyone here should email andy katz to write a followup to the linked article titled "my, how four years of losing can change you"

RW ... chairman of the men's NCAA basketball selection committee

The culture bullshit started at [Redacted]'s first presser. Wellman knew people hates the hire so he came up with a new spin. It's all complete and total shit.

I believe that Ron Wellman is too egotistical to admit he made a mistake hiring Jeff [Redacted]. When things started going south with [Redacted], I agree with those who say Wellman (and maybe some of his Athletic Department cronies) came up with this culture bullshit to try to justify the job [Redacted] is/was doing. Also, I think Wellman gets highly pissed when someone questions his decisions.

Think about Jim Caldwell. He got 8 seasons (7 were losing) before he got fired. If he had been fired sooner, Wellman may have been forced to admit he made a mistake hiring him in the first place.

As far as hiring Bz, I still thinks it goes back to that ass-whipping that Bz's Air Force team gave us in 2006. When Skip died, Wellman felt he needed to promote an assistant, and since Battle's wife was ill, Dino was the next man up. When Dino's teams tanked in March, Wellman thought a change was needed, and mistakingly thought Bz would take us to the top.

I believe that Ron Wellman is too egotistical to admit he made a mistake hiring Jeff [Redacted]. When things started going south with [Redacted], I agree with those who say Wellman (and maybe some of his Athletic Department cronies) came up with this culture bullshit to try to justify the job [Redacted] is/was doing. Also, I think Wellman gets highly pissed when someone questions his decisions.

Think about Jim Caldwell. He got 8 seasons (7 were losing) before he got fired. If he had been fired sooner, Wellman may have been forced to admit he made a mistake hiring him in the first place.

As far as hiring Bz, I still thinks it goes back to that ass-whipping that Bz's Air Force team gave us in 2006. When Skip died, Wellman felt he needed to promote an assistant, and since Battle's wife was ill, Dino was the next man up. When Dino's teams tanked in March, Wellman thought a change was needed, and mistakingly thought Bz would take us to the top.

That's a good prescription for making dumb decisions, and in the case of an AD leads to extra needless losing seasons.

lol you're an asshole. You must have kids or something huh. How much of this type of shit do you have to go to? For you or any other dads on the board, how many animated movies have you seen this past year?

Not only do you go to animated movies but you literally know every word to every song on this soundtrack because 5 year old daughter is obsessed with it. Keb Mo has been replaced with Queen Elsa. It's a sad reality.

The culture bullshit started at [Redacted]'s first presser. Wellman knew people hates the hire so he came up with a new spin. It's all complete and total shit.

Based on what I've come to understand over the years, the "culture" argument made early was true. Wellman really did want to go after "4 year players", whatever the hell those are. Dino was unwilling. We've heard confirmation of that from insiders and past players. The issue is that Wellman, after realizing the disaster of the first few games, shifted the culture argument to mean something else. Suddenly misdeeds were being made public, players were being alienated/pushed out, etc, etc. A scapegoat was created.

I'd be curious to read the exact words regarding culture from [Redacted]'s first press conference and Clawson's first press conference. I suspect they are extremely similar.

When you think a coach is doing a great job, culture denotes pride that your school can compete without cutting corners. When you think a coach is doing a horrible job, culture is an excuse the belittles your predecessor's success and forgives your own failure.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the culture-speak from these coaches. It's the whole "being a good coach" thing that's the problem with one of them.

I don't believe for a minute that our basketball staff has ever worked as hard as our football staff just worked over the past month.

I believe that Ron Wellman is too egotistical to admit he made a mistake hiring Jeff [Redacted].

I totally agree with this. I think that ego is what got us in trouble in the first place. I sincerely believe Wellman thought he was a lock to get Brad Stevens, so he fired Dino and was going to get his man, only to watch on the sidelines as Stevens signed a long term extension with Butler. In that moment, he had to come up with a backup plan and for whatever reason it ended up being [Redacted]. Despite the setback with Stevens there were far better options available out there and the situation at Wake could have been very different.

I just hope the big money backers have finally had enough of this losing culture and force Wellman's hand, granted I have zero expectations or excitement about another Wellman led coaching search for mens BBall.

I think Wellman is finally out of the mindset that the 50 something coach is the "safe" choice.

I don't believe for a minute that our basketball staff has ever worked as hard as our football staff just worked over the past month.

Hell, it took our staff six days to get down to Birmingham to try and convince Haas to honor his commitment. By that time the deal was done.

Not only do you go to animated movies but you literally know every word to every song on this soundtrack because 5 year old daughter is obsessed with it. Keb Mo has been replaced with Queen Elsa. It's a sad reality.

You are definitely a bad ass. Mine are the themes to Pokemon. Is there a song for Minecraft? That's all I ever here about these days.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Back