• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

General Election Thread: Two Weeks Out

Of course all bird death is tragic and should be always avoided, but to say that wind power is "killing all your birds" is a stretch. I posted this last week: http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...gs-are-bigger-threat-to-birds-than-wind-power

If environmentalists were truly concerned about bird populations they would launch a full scale nation wide feral and out door cat extermination program. Wind turbines are pretty far down the list of major threats. By some estimates, cats kill 3 billion birds annually in North America, wind turbines take out about 300k. Now I suppose some wind projects in specific locations could be especially problematic, eg you wouldn't want to put a big old wind farm on the out skirts of Aransas National Wildlife refuge, where about 50 of the worlds last 200 whooping cranes spend the winter, but, in general, there are much bigger issues for birds.

just in NA. That's a bloodbath

Two things:
1) of course you didn't say "all the birds" only an idiot would say that. Trump said it.

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/290093-trump-wind-power-kills-all-your-birds

2) it's "Canada Geese" not "Canadian Geese". And, they are a nuisance in many locales but there're protected under the international migratory bird act and it is very hard to mess with them. There are increasing efforts to control local geese populations, but unfortunately the geese that actually do still migrate to Canada are experiencing pretty sever declines so wholesale goose slaughter is not ideal.

Wonderful response. My most sincere apologies for my poor use of language - must be due to my Southern heritage. I shall endeavor to use more exacting language in the future. But I still hate the fucking geese. Maybe the reason for their sever [sic] declines in Canada is that they're infesting effin' Cville. Still think we should kill and eat them. They're a bit gamey, but not that bad if prepared correctly. I mean, not nearly as fantastic as a great duck confit, but still quite edible.

100% Harambe

on foreign policy, economic, domestic policy, healthcare, education, electoral issues, social, immigration, and criminal issues.

82% Gary Johnson

on economic, domestic policy, foreign policy, healthcare, education, and electoral issues.

73% Donald Trump

on foreign policy, immigration, criminal, education, and healthcare issues.

69% Jill Stein

on foreign policy, domestic policy, social, science, and electoral issues.

67% Darrell Castle

on immigration, healthcare, and education issues.

55% Hillary Clinton

on social and electoral issues.

It depends on your source of information. Estimates range from 450 million to 3.7 billion. Either way it is a mother fucking shit ton of dead birds.

Sounds like cats are far more dangerous than ISIS.

Wonderful response. My most sincere apologies for my poor use of language - must be due to my Southern heritage. I shall endeavor to use more exacting language in the future. But I still hate the fucking geese. Maybe the reason for their sever [sic] declines in Canada is that they're infesting effin' Cville. Still think we should kill and eat them. They're a bit gamey, but not that bad if prepared correctly. I mean, not nearly as fantastic as a great duck confit, but still quite edible.

Sorry for my "sever" typo. Must be because of my northern heritage and my previously mentioned low IQ.

I accept that they are annoying and gross, but the rules are governed by 100+ year old international treaty. Here you can learn a bit more about Geese management in VA (I am presuming "cville" is for Charlottesville):

http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/v...ei-redir=1#search="goose management virginia"

It is a bit of an old resource, but still explains the problem fairly well.

This one is slightly newer, but still a bit old:

https://pubs.ext.vt.edu/420/420-203/420-203.html#

You could do worse than spend the next 15 minutes on Billy West's Twitter feed listening to him reading Trump quotes in his Zapp Brannigan voice (from Futurama, if you don't know).

Example:

Last edited:
I don't think illegal immigrants should be allowed to vote and I think everyone should have a valid ID to vote, if that's what you're referring to.

And I don't think that makes me closed minded or intolerant. I respect and try to understand the views from everyone else on all of these topics/policies as well.

??? that's not at all what I was talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerrymandering

You could do worse than spend the next 15 minutes on Billy West's Twitter feed listening to him reading Trump quotes in his Zapp Brannigan voice (from Futurama, if you don't know).

Example:

these are absolute gold

You have never made a modest, obvious criticism of her.

I mean, bsf4l's rhetoric has gotten pretty extreme, but this just isn't honest. You and a handful of others have been aggressively supporting Clinton (and aggressively criticizing critiques of Clinton) since the primaries. That's cool and everything, but don't pretend like bsf4l hasn't made "modest, obvious criticisms" against Clinton.

ETA - though, this, too:

Fair enough I was definitely hoping for some imaginary internet points. I still don't think your characterization is correct though. It seems to me that most people that are supporting Hillary (here anyway) accept her because she is the least bad option. Her honesty is questionable of course and a lot of her policy positions are half way and weak kneed, but of her two "legitimate" opponents, one is a lunatic with tiny hands and the other has some pretty extreme policy positions. I am really mad that I have to vote for her, honestly, but Trump scares the shit out of me and Johnson, at least for now, really has no chance. I was hoping Jill Stein would be a nice protest vote for me like Nader was in 2000, but she has turn into a bit of a nut job her self. 350 million citizens and these are the 4 choices we have...that is fucked up. I am not trying to personally insult you, but, people flip out when you post because you post some tin-foil-hat-wearing garbage that you have no credibility when you do post a legitimate criticism of her. That's what I think anyway.

ETA, because why not -
2523882943.jpg

Last edited:
I was; but will no longer call myself one until Dump goes away.

What policies of the Republican Party do you agree with over the Democratic Party's policies instead?

I wasn't surprised to see you so far from Trump's numbers or close to Hillary's numbers (she is pretty moderate), but the Jill Stein numbers kind of surprised me.

Back