• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Georgia kicker's dad calls out Kirby Smart for not giving scholarship

He released a statement about his dad and the scholarship situation. He's the only one that actually looks good in this situation.
C1dmSlIW8AI5XZj.jpg

A good kicker is worth a scholarship.

Yeah I don't understand big programs not using one scholarship on a good kicker. Wake has almost always had a scholarship kicker (though I believe Weaver was initially a walk-on).

You look at what happened to Ohio State with their walk-on kicker, and it makes you scratch your head

The Dad's statement that Kirby chose to denigrate his son's performance, rather than just honestly note that he needs the open scholarship, is what stands out to me.

Pretty sure he can transfer without sitting out a year because he's a walkon.

I'm sure the coach at whatever school he might attend is chomping at the bit to offer him a scholarship and meet his dad.

Smart looks like a moron here, as does the kids dad. The kid, as a freshman, went 14-18 ( with no missed PATs. Hell, if he's at NCSU we win at least 2 more games including Clemson. Give the kid his scholarship and recruit the other positions better.

Missed a 42 yarder against Tech. Would have won that game. Full disclosure, it was in the first quarter.

He honestly doesn't have a big leg, which is why he's a walk on.

His dad's been complaining about this since November, trying to get Smart to honor Richt's commitment that if he won the starting job, he'd get a scholarship. Dad's just a dick.

There was no way in hell he was going to get a scholarship before national signing day anyway. Georgia's got a big class coming in and it's going to be a very good one. I'm sure Smart wants some flexibility on signing day and for a couple of weeks afterward. Face it, you're a walkon and you'll stay a walkon until the coaches decide otherwise. I'm sure Kirby didn't want to tie up a scholarship for three years when 1) he's pretty sure he can find another kicker who is as good or better and 2) he doesn't want to miss on some 4-star WR who hasn't made up his mind yet.

Dad's just a dick.

Like most things in life, it's not that easy or straightforward.

A D-1 walk-on may transfer to another institution and not sit out a year only if:

a) he was not a "recruited athlete" under the NCAA definition (preferred walk-ons are "recruited athletes" if they took an official visit (paid by the school they are visiting), if a coach had an in-person visit with the recruit or with the recruits parents or if a coach had a telephone conversation with the recruit (yes, a telephone conversation initiated by the coach triggers the recruited athlete rule, an email or letter does not); many/most D-1 football walk-ons qualify as a recruited athlete under that definition even if the don't get a full ride).

b) he did not compete during a game for his school and did not practice more than 14 days (obviously the UGA kicker practiced for more than 14 days and competed for UGA)

c) he accepted a full or part scholarship

So, the UGA kicker would have to sit out a year to play at another FBS school. He could apply for a waiver to play immediately, but that usually involves a claim of some sort of hardship (e.g., coming home to be near a sick parent) or if he graduated from the school he initially attended.

Yeah I don't understand big programs not using one scholarship on a good kicker. Wake has almost always had a scholarship kicker (though I believe Weaver was initially a walk-on).

You look at what happened to Ohio State with their walk-on kicker, and it makes you scratch your head

At a top tier program, a kicker gets a scholarship that would otherwise go to a 3* or 4* prospect. At a lower tier program, that scholarship would have only gone to a 2*.

Missed a 42 yarder against Tech. Would have won that game. Full disclosure, it was in the first quarter.

He honestly doesn't have a big leg, which is why he's a walk on.

His dad's been complaining about this since November, trying to get Smart to honor Richt's commitment that if he won the starting job, he'd get a scholarship. Dad's just a dick.

There was no way in hell he was going to get a scholarship before national signing day anyway. Georgia's got a big class coming in and it's going to be a very good one. I'm sure Smart wants some flexibility on signing day and for a couple of weeks afterward. Face it, you're a walkon and you'll stay a walkon until the coaches decide otherwise. I'm sure Kirby didn't want to tie up a scholarship for three years when 1) he's pretty sure he can find another kicker who is as good or better and 2) he doesn't want to miss on some 4-star WR who hasn't made up his mind yet.

Dad's just a dick.

Eh, I mean Smart should honor Richt's commitment though. I don't think it's wrong for the dad to push for that

Eh, I mean Smart should honor Richt's commitment though. I don't think it's wrong for the dad to push for that

No he shouldn't. The dude got fired. Players transfer when the coach who recruited them leaves town all the time.

Ultimately though, it does leave the Dawg's kicking game in a precarious position if Blankenship splits. And I don't know if Smart's in a position to offer a scholarship now after overplaying his hand in the meeting with Blankenship and his father. I really think he would have gotten the scholarship if he had proved himself as the kicker going into next season by being head and shoulders above whatever other walkons were in camp this summer.

We had a punter dad a few years ago who would not shut up about his son getting a full ride and catudeac ate that shit right up. Bolles kid. Wolfman or something. Don't think he lasted all four and definitely didn't arrive on scholarship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like most things in life, it's not that easy or straightforward.

A D-1 walk-on may transfer to another institution and not sit out a year only if:

a) he was not a "recruited athlete" under the NCAA definition (preferred walk-ons are "recruited athletes" if they took an official visit (paid by the school they are visiting), if a coach had an in-person visit with the recruit or with the recruits parents or if a coach had a telephone conversation with the recruit (yes, a telephone conversation initiated by the coach triggers the recruited athlete rule, an email or letter does not); many/most D-1 football walk-ons qualify as a recruited athlete under that definition even if the don't get a full ride).

b) he did not compete during a game for his school and did not practice more than 14 days (obviously the UGA kicker practiced for more than 14 days and competed for UGA)

c) he accepted a full or part scholarship

So, the UGA kicker would have to sit out a year to play at another FBS school. He could apply for a waiver to play immediately, but that usually involves a claim of some sort of hardship (e.g., coming home to be near a sick parent) or if he graduated from the school he initially attended.

Remember, this is all about the student athletes.

We had a punter dad a few years ago who would not shut up about his son getting a full ride and catudeac ate that shit right up. Bolles kid. Wolfman or something. Don't think he lasted all four and definitely didn't arrive on scholarship.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Completely forgot about that kid and his dad. Alex Wulfeck. He was a grad transfer to ND when Kinal came in.

Back