• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Georgia kicker's dad calls out Kirby Smart for not giving scholarship

I agree...

Replying to Ph, I was pointing out that "top Schools" not scholorshipping a kicker because they get better prospects, 3* and 4*. The top kickers are usually 3*, so not scholorshipping a 3* kicker to have your DL #8 who is a 3* is probably not going to help your program.

But DL #8 is going to be expected to be DL #3 his Jr and Sr years and be an important part of the two-deep rotation.

UGA has luxuries we don't have. I'm not going to bash them if Smart believes he risks nothing by this move. If the kid wants a scholly he should transfer to a school like Wake who would give him one with his record.

Sure you think that. And I think that. But the coaches of the top programs would rather take a chance on an elite player at another position than spend that ship on a kicker. Those programs also have the luxury of holding tryouts for kids who can earn a ship down the road.

I don't think big schools ignore kickers/punters. I think it depends on the coach. Bama's punter was scholorshiped out of high school and I think he's the best pro prospect in college right now, any age. Florida State in the last decade or 2 has recruited and scholarshiped top tier kickers. They have 4 current starters in the NFL? (Janikowski, Gano, Hopkins, Aguoyo)

Kicker 1 will be Kicker 1 all 4 years.

I think Smart believes he is still looking for Kicker 1, or maybe he'll be glad to give this guy a scholarship in a month or two.

But yeah, if he can inherit Blankenship as a walkon, he can get someone else to play the game too.

Blankenship just isn't that great of a kicker (full disclosure I am a UGA grad). He never kicks the ball through the end zone on kickoffs and he has a pretty weak leg. He was a feel good/funny story for a few weeks this season due to his rec specs and doing a post game interview with his helmet on but his dad is a total nut case who has been pushing this issue all year. Check out rodrigoblankenship.com to get a full taste of his dad's insanity.

Just noticed his dad took down the website claiming it had been hacked. I'll attach some of the best quotes from the website below (referencing his son's high school soccer team):

"However, and despite the substandard coaching the team had to endure during Rodrigo’s tenure, the 6-1, 190-pounder was a veritable automaton regardless of how far out of position he was placed."

"Even though his teammates were substantially outscored and outplayed, Rodrigo’s standards of excellence were never compromised. He finished the season averaging well under one error per game, his touch efficiency remained near-perfect at 99.8 percent and his pass completion percentage rose steadily, ending at more than 93 percent after completing more than 98 percent of his passes over the final three games."

"For the season, Rodrigo was dispossessed only once for a grand total of two for the entire three seasons of varsity competition."

"his teammates rarely capitalized on the long bombs deep into the attacking half."

Summary: Rodrigo isn't very good and his father is absolutely insane.

Last edited:
I don't think big schools ignore kickers/punters. I think it depends on the coach. Bama's punter was scholorshiped out of high school and I think he's the best pro prospect in college right now, any age. Florida State in the last decade or 2 has recruited and scholarshiped top tier kickers. They have 4 current starters in the NFL? (Janikowski, Gano, Hopkins, Aguoyo)

Not all big schools but some clearly do.

I think schools want to avoid what happened with our scholarship long snapper getting benched.

Smart could also handle this situation by recruiting and giving a scholarship to a "better" kicker.

Yeah I don't understand big programs not using one scholarship on a good kicker. Wake has almost always had a scholarship kicker (though I believe Weaver was initially a walk-on).

You look at what happened to Ohio State with their walk-on kicker, and it makes you scratch your head

I know for a fact Ohio State has like the #1 rated punter as a high school recruit on their team as a frosh this year and he doesn't even play because he sits behind another more experienced punter. Don't buy the no-scholly thing.

I know for a fact Ohio State has like the #1 rated punter as a high school recruit on their team as a frosh this year and he doesn't even play because he sits behind another more experienced punter. Don't buy the no-scholly thing.

I thought Maggio was the #1 rated punter out of high school? I have no doubt he would have sat behind Kinal had we had them both this season. Heck, he sat behind Weaver for several games this season.

I don't follow the logic. The fact that they used two schollys on punters doesn't change the fact that they didn't use one on a kicker

I thought Maggio was the #1 rated punter out of high school? I have no doubt he would have sat behind Kinal had we had them both this season. Heck, he sat behind Weaver for several games this season.

I've seen 1-8 ranks for him, but this is based mostly on amount of camps attended. So of the kickers/punters that have attended (probably multiple) camps, he's top 10. But I certainly don't think he's top 10, based on his offers.

Back