• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Georgia kicker's dad calls out Kirby Smart for not giving scholarship

Was that the dude who could barely punt 40 yd line drives?

i would wait until spring and change schools if a scholarship was not given. you have to give credit to the kid for being a walk-on for a few seasons...doing all the drills, etc.. it seems he played well enough for a scholarship.

The dad needs to meet footballmom42.

No he shouldn't. The dude got fired. Players transfer when the coach who recruited them leaves town all the time.

Yeah, but it would be bush-league to pull the scholarships of players who had been recruited there by Richt. This isn't much different.

I want to say he was the guy that left because of his girlfriend. Might have been a different special teams player though.

I thought that was some dude from Alabama. Got injured in a boating accident or something and then left?

I want to say he was the guy that left because of his girlfriend. Might have been a different special teams player though.

Caldwell or something. Never kicked in college after a boat accident. Left for Auburn... for a girl.

Last edited:
Caldwell or something. Never kicked in college after a boat accident. Left for Auburn... for a girl.

Think it might be Jimmy Newman (from Oxford Alabama) you're thinking of. Was at Wake three years, played two, then left in 2013.

Pretty sure he can transfer without sitting out a year because he's a walkon.

Many state schools use walk-ons as their kickers, figuring they can always get a good one from the many high schools in their state. If not they find really good soccer players to walk-on. Plus many state schools have a plethora of "preferred walk-ons" due to it being so cheap to go to school and many of the best players really wanting to go to their favorite in-state school they grew up loving vs. getting a smaller 1AA type scholly or going to a private school to play like Wake, Duke or BC to play. We really don't have much chance to get many walk-ons at our price of $65,000.

At a top tier program, a kicker gets a scholarship that would otherwise go to a 3* or 4* prospect. At a lower tier program, that scholarship would have only gone to a 2*.

The top kickers in the country are usually 3* prospects.

Ultimately though, it does leave the Dawg's kicking game in a precarious position if Blankenship splits. And I don't know if Smart's in a position to offer a scholarship now after overplaying his hand in the meeting with Blankenship and his father. I really think he would have gotten the scholarship if he had proved himself as the kicker going into next season by being head and shoulders above whatever other walkons were in camp this summer.

If it means more L's for UGA, hope the kid bolts.

So what ? If Kirby has a 3* kicker coming in, that's who will get the scholarship.

I agree...

Replying to Ph, I was pointing out that "top Schools" not scholorshipping a kicker because they get better prospects, 3* and 4*. The top kickers are usually 3*, so not scholorshipping a 3* kicker to have your DL #8 who is a 3* is probably not going to help your program.

I'm sure DawgNation gives a shit about how some StateFan thinks this should play out.

I would hope they don't. it's a message board. I made a post with my opinion. Get over it.

Sure you think that. And I think that. But the coaches of the top programs would rather take a chance on an elite player at another position than spend that ship on a kicker. Those programs also have the luxury of holding tryouts for kids who can earn a ship down the road.

Back