• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

GermanWings Flight 9525

DeacsPop

Resident Old Man
Reaction score
Breaking news now says one pilot was locked out of the cockpit before crash. I am afraid this is as sinister a development as one can imagine. So tragic.

Also read that some event may have incapacitated the pilot in the cockpit (sudden depressurization, etc), so it's too early to conclude something sinister went down. But yeah, I have an uneasy feeling about this.

Press conference says the co-pilot voluntarily and willfully kept the captain out and crashed the plane. Wow.

Marseille prosecutor Brice Robin says pounding could be heard on the door during the final minutes as alarms sounded. He said the co-pilot "voluntarily" refused to open the door, and his breathing was normal throughout the final minutes of the flight.

He identified the pilot as a German national and who had never been flagged as a terrorist.

___

12:51 a.m. (1151 GMT 7:51 EDT)

French prosecutor says Germanwings co-pilot appeared to want to "destroy the plane." Prosecutor says information was pulled from the black box cockpit voice recorder, but the co-pilot did not say a word once the captain left the cockpit. "It was absolute silence in the cockpit," he said.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/10ff...t-official-says-1-pilot-apparently-locked-out

Crazy news. One of the things that always eased my fear of flying is that the pilot wants to land too. Not in this case, apparently

Also read that some event may have incapacitated the pilot in the cockpit (sudden depressurization, etc), so it's too early to conclude something sinister went down. But yeah, I have an uneasy feeling about this.

No. That's not what happened. He intentionally crashed the plane. He can be heard breathing normally on the flight voice recorder.

No. That's not what happened. He intentionally crashed the plane. He can be heard breathing normally on the flight voice recorder.

Well, you do breathe normally when passed out, yes? There's got to be some other indicator.

So you people really think the French investigator had a press conference that the whole world is watching and announced to the world that after the pilot left the cockpit, that the co-pilot intentionally increased the descent of the plane without setting a leveling out point, intentionally locked the pilot out which would require disabling of the keypad, and continued to breathe normally; but the investigator is possibly wrong. If I were a defense attorney I'd love to have a rube like you on my jury.

When a reporter was reading out that report during my commute this morning, it nauseated me. It seems like there should be SOME way to open a cockpit door from the outside. Even if it's like a key that the captain is carrying or something. Awful. Can't imagine how helpless he felt on the other side of that door.

When a reporter was reading out that report during my commute this morning, it nauseated me. It seems like there should be SOME way to open a cockpit door from the outside. Even if it's like a key that the captain is carrying or something. Awful. Can't imagine how helpless he felt on the other side of that door.

Yeah, him and the other 148 people screaming.

On Morning Joe this morning, someone said, "can you imagine as a passenger seeing the pilot beating on the door, yelling for the co-pilot to open it, and feeling the plane descend sharply?"

That's a terrifying thought.

It's what happened after 9/11. We locked the doors so terrorists can't get in. If there was a way to still get in, they'd find it, whether it were a key or code or something else.

When the pilot leaves, they say a steward/ess is supposed to enter the cabin as a secondary in case something happens.

The radio said there are multiple settings of the door lock - one that the captain would be able to override from the outside and one that he cannot. Maybe they should make the plane automatically transmit a distress signal if it gets put into the un-openable setting. Though that might not do any good anyway.

^^^ A 2nd person enters the cockpit with US airlines, not necessarily with international airlines.
Also I saw the keypad has a manual override on the inside that can override it for 5 minutes. So the co-pilot must have reset it twice.

Unfathomable what it would be like to see a pilot trying to break the door down to the cockpit.

Unfathomable what it would be like to see a pilot trying to break the door down to the cockpit.

I wonder if he had any help from some brave passengers.

What a horrible tragedy. What's even more horrible is if we never find out why the co-pilot did it. We'll know if he had ties to terrorism, but what if he had a mental illness?

I wonder if he had any help from some brave passengers.

Wouldn't really matter. The door and lock are built to withstand an explosion, let alone 12 passengers or 12 terrorists.

Back