• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Get used to seeing that zone the rest of the year, no shooters on this team.

Yeah, Stith graduated in 92 and hung around the Association for about a decade. Was coaching HS and now is an assistant at ODU. I'd think that most ACC fans would be surprised to know he is UVA's all-time leading scorer, not Ralph. Maybe not the most physically talented athletes to play the game but few were more fundamentally sound. His kid is a 4* and is the same size (6'5"), but I don't know much else about him.

Stith had the Joel record for points in a game for forever. May still have it, not positive.

31yVQU5XPdL.jpg

Virginia was fifth nationally in defensive efficiency prior to last night, but that doesn't excuse how horribly we played.

The main problem with the theory that we will see a lot of zone is that other teams feel they have superior talent. They don't think they'd have to go to gimmicks to beat us/

More importantly, with the exception of Syracuse, not that many ACC teams really play zone. Wasting time practicing a zone to play us is a waste of precious in-season practice time.

We may see a couple of minutes of zones against some teams, but it's unlikely the better teams will play much more than that (unless they get in foul trouble).

Stith had the Joel record for points in a game for forever. May still have it, not positive.

stith and sam cassell share the record for "most times fucking the deacs is the ass."

well, used to share it. bz has established a new record kind of like cy young's wins.

Yeah, Sam Cassell was to us what Chill was to Dick and Caroliina.

Folks...we play poor on the road and good at home. That won't change this year. We will lose to Pittsburgh and then beat State. Why watch?

Folks...we play poor on the road and good at home. That won't change this year. We will lose to Pittsburgh and then beat State. Why watch?

Getting blown out on the road and winning close at home isn't sustainable. We already barely beat Richmond at home and UNC has cut it to a 3 point game playing as poorly as they did. We continue this level of play all year and its hello 6-12.

UNC would have beat us if Roy wasn't so damn stubborn about man-to-man D. We consistently got easy buckets vs UNC that just wouldn't be there in a zone defense.

Racer,
UNC went to a zone a few times in our game and we scored rather easily against it. UNC was not very aggressive on defense at all against us.

Yep, UNC played a fair amount of zone against us. They played a 2-3, 3-2, and 2-3 trap. I think the real defensive mistake on their part was continuing to trap the ball handler, even after we had beaten it a few times for easy buckets. Their trap created easy scoring situations for us outside of our normal offense.

Racer,
UNC went to a zone a few times in our game and we scored rather easily against it. UNC was not very aggressive on defense at all against us.

Yeah, but it was a trapping zone. It's a zone designed for use against good outside shooting teams as opposed to a zone designed to force outside shots. It played into the way we scored all night. That said, it's still Roy's stubborness. He doesn't teach zone and doesn't like it. He only pulls it out due to foul trouble, etc, and not as a real strategy to beat another team. If Roy had recognized we were tearing up his man to man, packed it in in a 2-3, taken away driving lanes and forced us to play from outside, they would have won. Our 57% shooting percentage

I thought we also killed State last year when they went to a 2-3. We exploited the short corner and hit cutters at will.

Yep, UNC played a fair amount of zone against us. They played a 2-3, 3-2, and 2-3 trap.

Noted, I was drinking and watching from a bar, but the analysis I read in multiple places after the game seems to jive with what I remember.

http://www.news-record.com/news/local_news/article_20801af4-7631-11e3-8f92-0019bb30f31a.html
The reality is, however, that North Carolina fumbled its advantage just as much on the defensive end in the first half and beyond. Wake Forest (11-3, 1-0) shot 57.1 percent inside the three-point arc, mainly because most of its shots were right at the rim.

Missing shots at the rim like UNC did is hard to repeat consistently. Playing poor defense is much easier to repeat, and that’s the last thing Williams wants.
“Right now, we’ve got to do a better job guarding the basketball,” he said.

Jeff [Redacted] said his team’s spacing was a reason the Deacons found so many driving lanes.

Williams switched his team into a zone defense twice. The Tar Heels tried to do some trapping at the perimeter in the zone but Wake often broke it down and then broke for the rim.
“Whether it’s play zone, or do more traps or all of the above, we definitely have to do a better job of guarding the basketball,” Williams said.

http://www.collegehoopsdaily.com/unc-basketball-2014-top-10-questions/
9) Will Roy Williams employ a zone defense? Going back to the Wake Forest game, the Deacons repeatedly beat the UNC defenders off the dribble. Despite Wake not being a strong outside shooting team, Coach Williams stayed with the man defense. So the Deacs continued attacking the rim, converting layups and drawing fouls. This UNC basketball team hasn’t played great man-to-man defense. But Roy is consistent, he’s made no bones about the fact that he doesn’t like playing zone, and never will.

Cumberland,
You are correct, we did the same against UNC a couple of times when they settled back into the 2-3.

Yeah, I remember UNC playing zone on several 2nd half possessions.

Yeah, I remember UNC playing zone on several 2nd half possessions.

I seriously must have been watching a different game. Ed Hardin also makes mention of only seeing zone a couple times:

http://www.news-record.com/sports/article_66783d9e-768a-11e3-9ecf-0019bb30f31a.html
But at the other end, in the half court where UNC’s depth and length should’ve broken the Deacs, it was Wake using the old Chapel Hill backdoor from the wings that did in the Heels. [Redacted] spaced his offense, played both his point guards at the same time and picked apart every defense Williams could come up with, including a couple of stints in a seldom-used zone.

A couple of stints of zone could be consistent with several possessions.

The deal was that we were able to score off any zone they put out there so there was no reason to stay in them very long, further, be very skeptical of anything Ed Hardin writes. He may be the worst writer around. He "covered" one of our earlier games and was gone from his seat 10 minutes into the game because UNC had a late game on TV. Talk about mailing in you reports.

Back