• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Get used to seeing that zone the rest of the year, no shooters on this team.

Clemson has never won in Chapel Hill. Think about that.

Pack line, zone. It doesn't really matter. Just force us to take jump shots, and we can't do shit. And it's not gonna get much better until the 2016 class is gone, unless some of them magically learn how to shoot.

You don't need to make 3 pointers to beat a zone or a pack line defense (although that is one way to do it). A zone can be effectively attacked with a high-post initiated offense, interior passing, and offensive rebounding. Pack line can be beat with short jumpers and aggressive drives.

Wake shot 4-17 on threes tonight. VCU beat UVA shooting 5-17 on threes and Wisconsin beat UVA shooting 5-23 on threes.

I just looked it up, and UVA averaged 29.5 points in the first half of games this year. If we had just done an average job on defense, we would have only been down about 5 points at the half. I realize Wake's offense looked bad, but UVA will do that to a lot of teams. To me, the lack of defense is what makes Buzz's teams bad. As cville pointed out, [Redacted]'s last 6 teams have finished last in the B-12 and ACC in FG%D.

Wow. That game brought Rafi over to BuzzOUT. Welcome to the club.

Sorry, man. I don't know you. Just judging by your posts.

Maybe Rafi is just trying to post honest assessments but they sometimes cast some good light on Buzz and you misinterpret them?

CMM has been in a shooting slump for awhile. When he is not scoring, WF really struggles to score.

The pack line man , is a match up zone. UVA was happy for Wake to shoot Jumpers

No it's not. The pack line is still a man. It emphasizes pressuring the ball and everyone else playing off their man and helping and rotating when a fellow defender gets beat off the dribble. UVA also hedges a lot and doubles good offensive post players. It's similar to what Odom and Holland used to do. The effect of a pack line is a lot of long offensive possessions because it's harder to get a quick open shot inside of 10'. Given the state of today's game with guys leaving earlier and the emphasis on athleticism and less on shooting ability, I think the pack line is a wise choice because it usually results in late low quality shot attempts or well contested drives. It also frustrates teams that want to be up tempo. The only problem I see with it is you often leave lesser teams in games within say 6-12 points midway through the 2nd half because games usually end up being lower scoring. And playing it may end up making you miss on burger boys who want to be in higher scoring games. That said, Bennett took over a bare cupboard, got 2 highly ranked recruits who did not pan out and still has had good teams in years 3 and 4. Their sophomore class has 3 4*s, their freshman class 2 3* PGs and the current class for next year has a 4* wing (Stith's kid), a 3* wing and a big from New Zealand who no one has seen. So he's getting enough 3*s and 4*s to stay competitive in the conference and make the postseason.

C-ville,

Great explanation. The pack line defense is not a zone.

Codi can't shoot a lick. It's pitiful. He might be the next Ish, only he is slow too.

Codi isn't our problem. No one other than Williams can reliably shoot an outside shot. Codi is a scorer even if he's not great from the outside. Codi might come off the bench if we had more talent at guard, but we just don't.

I think McKie has the Enigma of the Year Award pretty much sewn up. That guy just flat disappears for long stretches, and then re-emerges to jack up a three.

... and CMM can't throw one in the ocean at the moment and I'm not sure how Williams will get a shot off against competent ACC defenders.

I thought our first possession last night was very telling. UVA turns over on their 1st and we go down and Codi has a wide open three. He hesitates, not ready, passes off, and we pass the ball around until we TO. I felt it was a shot we had to take, even with a miss. That mentality got us down 11-0. Later, as outside shots were taken/missed, all our potential offensive re-bounders, headed back up-count while the ball was still in the air.

If you can't score, you have to play defense. Skip's early teams could out score anyone. This team certainly cannot. I don't think that Dino started with the pack line, but he did implement it when it became clear that his teams couldn't just out score other teams. .

IMO, the real difference in the game last night. was that UVA didn't oblige us and play just as badly as we did (a la UNC).

If you can't score, you have to play defense. Skip's early teams could out score anyone. This team certainly cannot. I don't think that Dino started with the pack line, but he did implement it when it became clear that his teams couldn't just out score other teams. .

IMO, the real difference in the game last night. was that UVA didn't oblige us and play just as badly as we did (a la UNC).
Seriously. I laugh when people said we had something to do with UNC playing poorly. No, we had very little to do with it. UNC missed wide open 3s, committed unforced turnovers, missed putbacks off of offensive rebounds, Roy didn't go to zone when it's blatantly obvious that we are poor against the zone, etc etc.

If you think running the pack line with those last 2 teams under Dino that ran it you are a [Redacted].

Last edited:
Our lack of shooting skills really puzzles me. This seems to have been a problem with many Wake teams over many years. They have been obvious exceptions, of course, but it seems like I remember thinking in the past that our team was 1 or 2 reliable shooters away from being really good. So many times I remember seeing a Wake player drive into the lane, get cut off and pass out to a wide open player near the 3-pt line - I get a momentary thrill, thinking "great - a wide open shot" and then I see who received the pass and remember that he can't shoot...

Shooting is the most basic skill there is. Kids all over the country, and the world, grow up shooting at baskets in their driveway, the local gym, their school, etc. Remember the coach in "Hoosiers" saying "I know you guys can shoot" and not letting them shoot at practice while they worked on other stuff? I don't know why it is so hard for us to recruit shooters...?

Let's remember Coron and Travis aren't here next year. Our shooters next year are CMM, Cav, Miles, and Rondale Watson! WEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

We are a terrible halfcourt team. Can't shoot and don't have any true post presence. Our only hope is transition offense and the fact our big men can pass/cut well when plays break down. We are only good in helter-skelter situations.

stith's KID is going to uva? holy crap i'm old.

Yeah, Stith graduated in 92 and hung around the Association for about a decade. Was coaching HS and now is an assistant at ODU. I'd think that most ACC fans would be surprised to know he is UVA's all-time leading scorer, not Ralph. Maybe not the most physically talented athletes to play the game but few were more fundamentally sound. His kid is a 4* and is the same size (6'5"), but I don't know much else about him.

Back