• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gifts from Santa

Gifts from Santa:

• Total voters
+1. I am floored. Some people have really, really shitty parents. i mean, how lazy/cheap is it to not buy separate wrapping paper for Santa?

Um, you're kidding, right? It had nothing to do with laziness or cheapness and my parents were decidedly not shitty. It's a tradition on both sides of my family that Santa gifts were unwrapped so you could get the excited expression when the kid(s) come downstairs and see what Santa left them.

Lighten up.

I don't think I would have gotten to keep any presents if it was ever discovered I snuck down to the tree. So I definitely never did that.

Christmas morning we'd all wake up (upstairs), and gather together as a family and read the story of the Birth of Jesus in the Bible aloud, each taking turns. Then we'd walk downstairs to the tree in age order, parents first. We'd open stockings first, then have a quick nibble of breakfast like a danish then open presents in an orderly fashion. My sister liked to be the distributor of gifts as she could give out more to other people and have a stockpile for herself. One gift opened at a time. Sometimes it would take hours. That was awesome.

wow, this sounds like the exact opposite of awesome. it is exactly how i picture christmas in the Randy Edsall household.

Um, you're kidding, right? It had nothing to do with laziness or cheapness and my parents were decidedly not shitty. It's a tradition on both sides of my family that Santa gifts were unwrapped so you could get the excited expression when the kid(s) come downstairs and see what Santa left them.

Lighten up.

absolutely not. that should be borderline child abuse. kids like opening presents. do you bother to take them out of the walmart bag before placing them under the tree?

absolutely not. that should be borderline child abuse. kids like opening presents. do you bother to take them out of the walmart bag before placing them under the tree?

Kids like playing with presents even more than opening them. And there are still plenty to open, trust me.

And it's a Target bag, not Wallyworld. :D

how does that even work for multiple kids?

Unwrapped. So I would come out on Christmas morning and see all the cool stuff Santa brought. Then I'd rip into all my other presents.

wow, this sounds like the exact opposite of awesome. it is exactly how i picture christmas in the Randy Edsall household.

But it made Christmas last! I can't imagine the letdown if everyone ripped into their pile of presents all at once; it would take maybe 10 minutes to open them and then Christmas would be over, just like that.

how does that even work for multiple kids?

did you and your siblings have the exact same toy preferences?

granted, i was the only girl, so mine was always pretty easy to figure out. and my brothers were over 6 years apart in age, so they never asked for similar stuff. but it was pretty straightforward in our family.

But it made Christmas last! I can't imagine the letdown if everyone ripped into their pile of presents all at once; it would take maybe 10 minutes to open them and then Christmas would be over, just like that.

It wasn't over "just like that." Now you have bawse things to play with, your family is there, you hang out and have a good time. Parents get their drink on. All around, all day fun.

did you and your siblings have the exact same toy preferences?

granted, i was the only girl, so mine was always pretty easy to figure out. and my brothers were over 6 years apart in age, so they never asked for similar stuff. but it was pretty straightforward in our family.

2 brothers, so yes, there was overlap.

I was an unwrapped family and will probably continue that.

Also, one of the best things my parents did to keep me believing in Santa was to give repeat gifts. I opened a present from them for something Santa already got me and they claimed they didn't know Santa would get it for me. That definitely kept me thinking.

It wasn't over "just like that." Now you have bawse things to play with, your family is there, you hang out and have a good time. Parents get their drink on. All around, all day fun.

Christmas was always just my parents, sister and me. Not some crowd of fun family to hang out with. I suppose I can't really remember being excited about Christmas toys, that was so long ago.

I was an unwrapped family and will probably continue that.

Also, one of the best things my parents did to keep me believing in Santa was to give repeat gifts. I opened a present from them for something Santa already got me and they claimed they didn't know Santa would get it for me. That definitely kept me thinking.

That is smart.

I can't imagine walking into the room and just having unwrapped presents laying on the couch. Did you parents even bother taking off the price tags?

stock-vector-santa-claus-6549976.jpg

Look at this unwrapped gift Santa is bringing! Oh wait...

Back