• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gifts from Santa

Gifts from Santa:

• Total voters
We were an unwrapped family. We would actually open most of our stuff on Christmas eve. We would go to my maternal grandparents in the morning, open stuff, then we would go to the lovefeast, and then do dinner at my paternal grandparents house with a few more gifts. We then did Santa at home on Christmas morning,so basically no presents got unwrapped at home. I think it is pretty funny that however you did it as a kid is the only right way for everyone.

nope. unwrapped is 100% wrong. i feel comfortable that i would feel this way no matter what my parents did.

I was an unwrapped family and will probably continue that.

Also, one of the best things my parents did to keep me believing in Santa was to give repeat gifts. I opened a present from them for something Santa already got me and they claimed they didn't know Santa would get it for me. That definitely kept me thinking.

This happened to me once -- I had the opposite reaction. I was like WTF why didn't Santa know my parents got me this

I can honestly say this topic is one that my wife and I fight about each year. I am so pissed at myself for giving in the first time when we had kids, because now they are unwrapped and there is no going back. This topic should really be up there on the "choosing a mate" checklist. Way ahead of religion or smoking or coke/pepsi.

This is funny because I was going to say something similar. My dad (from NC) always had his Santa gifts unwrapped and my mom (from NJ) had them wrapped. Mom won out the debate and so my brother and I always had our Santa gifts wrapped. My dad still bitches about it.

This is funny because I was going to say something similar. My dad (from NC) always had his Santa gifts unwrapped and my mom (from NJ) had them wrapped. Mom won out the debate and so my brother and I always had our Santa gifts wrapped. My dad still bitches about it.

My family was from NC, and we wrap.

is this unwrapped gift a southern thing?

Nope. I wonder if there is a socioeconomic correlation? I could logically argue one for each: can't afford wrapping paper, or can't afford as many gifts so you cherish the ones you give.

Nope. I wonder if there is a socioeconomic correlation? I could logically argue one for each: can't afford wrapping paper, or can't afford as many gifts so you cherish the ones you give.

I'm not certain, but I think the unwrapped set is predominantly Southern, while the wrapped set is a good mix of Northern and Southern posters.

The funny thing is that whichever way you did it as a kid the very certainly the "right" way. I just think it is mind bogglingly dumb to see it all at once instead of savoring the opening of presents. My wife thinks that seeing a bunch of wrapped presents under the tree is boring and the kids loose out on the initial visual of santa "coming."

We started with unwrapped until i was about 8 years old. Then "Santa" switched it up.

True Story: My dad has dressed up as Santa every year for the last 5-10 years. My brothers and I need to give my parents some grand kids pretty soon. On second thought, I think I'll just keep practicing.

The funny thing is that whichever way you did it as a kid the very certainly the "right" way. I just think it is mind bogglingly dumb to see it all at once instead of savoring the opening of presents. My wife thinks that seeing a bunch of wrapped presents under the tree is boring and the kids loose out on the initial visual of santa "coming."

Ask your wife why you should ever wrap any presents?

100% of gifts wrapped. even small stocking stuffers. parents had different paper for Santa's gift. definitely think unwrapped is DUMB. i love unwrapping presents. my mom has gotten in the habit of wrapping a lot of things (shirts, etc) in one box and i told her this year i want everything separate just cause its more fun to unwrap a lot of boxes vs. only a few

Last edited:
100% of gifts wrapped. even small stocking stuffers. parents had different paper for Santa's gift. definitely think unwrapped is DUMB. i love unwrapping presents. my mom has gotten in the habit of wrapping a lot of this (shirts, etc) in one box and i told her this year i want everything separate just cause its more fun to unwrap a lot of boxes vs. only a few

Amen.

Rofl, we had tons of wrapping paper. The second is more likely. We always had a good amount of loot just "from Santa" so unwrapped it was pretty awesome to see it all in a pile that you had to kind of dig through (and at the same time my brothers and sisters were all doing the same thing). Plus part of the adventure was figuring out which pile belonged to whom, especially when you have a twin. For the most part it was mostly small-medium type gifts in terms of importance, w/ one big gift thrown in that you didn't always find or see right away (of course, the year it was a bike being an exception).

So for you wrappers, did you just get to run down the stairs/into the room/whatever and then just start frantically opening your santa gifts? How did they keep the santa gifts separate? Part of the reason I like the unwrapped way is because it distinguished the santa gifts from the parents/family gifts, which got to have the sense of decorum and appreciation for individual gifts one would want while opening those.

i think you're missing our point. only the santa presents are unwrapped. in my family, santa gave the one single biggest present to each child. ALL of the rest of the presents were wrapped and came from other family members or friends (we weren't allowed to open gifts from our friends until christmas morning). you're not seeing everything at once. you're just seeing one (or a couple) of presents at once, and then opening everything else.

i think you're missing our point. only the santa presents are unwrapped. in my family, santa gave the one single biggest present to each child. ALL of the rest of the presents were wrapped and came from other family members or friends (we weren't allowed to open gifts from our friends until christmas morning). you're not seeing everything at once. you're just seeing one (or a couple) of presents at once, and then opening everything else.

Or a giant pile of smaller loot (books, stuffed animals, nerf toys) w/ a big present mixed in, in my case.

Rofl, we had tons of wrapping paper. The second is more likely. We always had a good amount of loot just "from Santa" so unwrapped it was pretty awesome to see it all in a pile that you had to kind of dig through (and at the same time my brothers and sisters were all doing the same thing). Plus part of the adventure was figuring out which pile belonged to whom, especially when you have a twin. For the most part it was mostly small-medium type gifts in terms of importance, w/ one big gift thrown in that you didn't always find or see right away (of course, the year it was a bike being an exception).

So for you wrappers, did you just get to run down the stairs/into the room/whatever and then just start frantically opening your santa gifts? How did they keep the santa gifts separate? Part of the reason I like the unwrapped way is because it distinguished the santa gifts from the parents/family gifts, which got to have the sense of decorum and appreciation for individual gifts one would want while opening those.

Santa gifts weren't separate. Just part of the pile of wrapped fun.

They were tagged "To Tuffalo[or Tuffalo-Bro/Sis/Mom/Dad] From Santa." Someone still has to write who the gift is for, so not wrapping a Santa gift doesn't really remove much risk of kids discovering the big secret.

oh - well yeah, they say "To: [RTQ] From: Santa"

also Santa's handwriting looks just like my Mom's. WEIRD!

I explained what my parents did in detail a few pages back, but the wrapped Santa presents were in separate piles.

My dad signed the Santa presents and tilted it so Santa looked like a lefty.

Also he wrote a note to us each year the same way.

Mom signed the rest.

Back