• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gingrich Detonates Inconvenient Truth re War on Poverty

Wow, you are really attaching yourself to Newt's condemnation of mayors. I hear ya. So now its the fault of the mayors?

because Newt decreed it so, I suppose?

I'm attaching myself to the facts and the results.

How is the sixth decade of the War on Poverty looking in Detroit? New Orleans? Atlanta?

At what point will the results matter?

eta:

70% of top ten lowest unemployment rate states are red states. 70% are right to work states. Respectively, the ten best unemployment rates rank (the in effective tax burden against the other 51 jurisdictions) as follows:
North Dakota 35th highest burden (out of 51)
South Dakota 49th highest burden
Nebraska 45th
Utah 26th
Hawaii 16th
Iowa 33rd
Vermont 13th
Wyoming 46th
Minnesota 7th
Kansas 22nd

70% of bottom ten are blue (including bottom six). Only 3 of these 10 are right to work states (including, laughably, Michigan).
Rhode Island 6th highest tax burden in the country
Nevada 42
Michigan 18th
Illinois 11th
DC 31
Cali 4th
Mississippi 37
Kentucky 26
Tennessee 48
New Jersey 2
Arizona 40

==> As a matter of statistical fact, stronger unions and higher rates of taxation are predictors of higher rates of unemployment and the opposite is true. The lowest three unemployment rates in the country average the eighth lowest tax burden in the country; whereas the sixth, 2nd and fourth highest tax rates all fall in the bottom ten percent of employment. Policies matter.

The most predatory and regressive tax in our State--the lottery--was forced upon a majority of North Carolinians against their will (according to public opinion polls at the time) by Dems in a manner that made Obamacare looked bipartisan. It's so indefensibly cruel to our poorest citizens that it should be illegal (and incidentally, is, unless you are the government).

Last edited:

How is the sixth decade of the War on Poverty looking in Detroit? New Orleans? Atlanta?

When do we get to compare the war on drugs and its results?

eta:

70% of top ten lowest unemployment rate states are red states. 70% are right to work states.

70% of bottom ten are blue (including bottom six). Only 3 of these 10 are right to work states (including, laughably, Michigan).

The most predatory and regressive tax in our State--the lottery--was forced upon a majority of North Carolinians against their will (according to public opinion polls at the time) by Dems in a manner that made Obamacare looked bipartisan. It's so indefensibly cruel to our poorest citizens that it should be illegal (and incidentally, is, unless you are the government).

Okay. I'll play along and assume that these results are purely the fault of Dems in a conspiracy…no Dem mayors in a conspiracy…no incompetent policies…no…whatever.

So what are these great policies that would reverse this trend that Dems are willfully ignoring for some reason?

EDIT: I think I can guess, but I will defer to you and Newt's expertise on the matter..

Last edited:
Okay. I'll play along and assume that these results are purely the fault of Dems in a conspiracy…no Dem mayors in a conspiracy…no incompetent policies…no…whatever.

So what are these great policies that would reverse this trend that Dems are willfully ignoring for some reason?

EDIT: I think I can guess, but I will defer to you and Newt's expertise on the matter..

What the fuck don't you understand about bootstraps?

See my edits on the correlation between right to work laws and low state tax burdens with lower unemployment and the inverse being true. All drawn from empirical data posted by the BLS and Tax Foundation. In the spirit of week 17 of the NFL season, you are what your record is, right?

Is there a better explanation for why Californians (46th nationally) are less employable than undesirable bigots on the Bayou of Louisiana (20th)?

There are myriad explanations to retro-fit into the statistic you are using to attempt to prove your anti-union, anti-entitlement, supply-side philosophy.

One could argue, using the same numbers, that since the messiah Ronald Reagan and the new GOP mastered political messaging and swung the political compass way back to the right, nothing good has happened for the nation's middle and lower economic classes.

One could argue that national - much more so than local or state - policies on energy, health care, defense spending, taxation, corporate welfare, trade, and deregulation of the financial sector in the past 30 years have had a much greater influence on unemployment and wealth inequality than "high" local and state taxes on the wealthy due to collective bargaining and public sector pensions. Not to mention globalization.

But go ahead and compare Louisiana and California to make your point. I love your shit, man. I'm a fan.

There are myriad explanations to retro-fit into the statistic you are using to attempt to prove your anti-union, anti-entitlement, supply-side philosophy.

One could argue, using the same numbers, that since the messiah Ronald Reagan and the new GOP mastered political messaging and swung the political compass way back to the right, nothing good has happened for the nation's middle and lower economic classes.

One could argue that national - much more so than local or state - policies on energy, health care, defense spending, taxation, corporate welfare, trade, and deregulation of the financial sector in the past 30 years have had a much greater influence on unemployment and wealth inequality than "high" local and state taxes on the wealthy due to collective bargaining and public sector pensions. Not to mention globalization.

But go ahead and compare Louisiana and California to make your point. I love your shit, man. I'm a fan.

If anything, national and globalization factors would funnel prosperity towards the more interconnected hubs of commerce in New York, California and Mass, and away from the backwater states. I'm guessing California isn't taking tips on globalization from the Dakotas. Certainly energy policies (some of which I am not personally enamored with) are driving jobs in certain areas, but they aren't driving jobs down in California and Rhode Island. California has a stifling high tax rates and an anchored unemployment rate to match. It's not because of California's failures to leverage the growth engines of technology and globalization; it is horrific in spite of California leading in those areas. The jobs are being chased out to friendlier climes.

jhmd found the glitch in the Matrix. Good game everyone.

Mayors. Man, if only we'd known all along.

What is your response to the data I posted?

That I agree with you that we need a stronger federal government and less responsibility to local governments. We are simpatico in this. The era of small government is over.

If anything, national and globalization factors would funnel prosperity towards the more interconnected hubs of commerce in New York, California and Mass, and away from the backwater states. I'm guessing California isn't taking tips on globalization from the Dakotas. Certainly energy policies (some of which I am not personally enamored with) are driving jobs in certain areas, but they aren't driving jobs down in California and Rhode Island. California has a stifling high tax rates and an anchored unemployment rate to match. It's not because of California's failures to leverage the growth engines of technology and globalization; it is horrific in spite of California leading in those areas. The jobs are being chased out to friendlier climes.

I must have missed when so-called backwater states became more prosperous than NY, CA, and MA. Just because SC and LA are being used for cheap labor doesn't mean they're prosperous.

I must have missed when so-called backwater states became more prosperous than NY, CA, and MA. Just because SC and LA are being used for cheap labor doesn't mean they're prosperous.

If only we had someone with a PhD in Sociology who could prove this point with stats.

But they don't have teachers unions, so their education systems must be much better.

Detroit has elected eight consecutive Democrats as its Mayor. It is in bankruptcy.

D.C. has its ninth straight Democrat Mayor serving. Bottom 10 public school system in America and a top 10 murder rate to match.

New Orleans has elected 14 consecutive Democrats as its Mayor, including Ray Nagin twice.

Atlanta: 9 straight. Can't even keep the Atlanta Braves in...Atlanta.

Chicago hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1927. Has a gun violence rate reminiscent of Pakistan.

Top six cities for highest murder rate have Dem mayors.

Those are the facts. The well-intended Progressive agenda is not working where it is being tried.

Honest question. Can you provide a similar list of the cities lead by Republican mayors who are financially secure, don't have gun violence, and are cranking out Einsteins?

Back