• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gingrich Detonates Inconvenient Truth re War on Poverty

That's an honest question?

Can you provide a similar list of the cities with Republican mayors who are operating at a profit, have decreased gun violence, and have improved their educational systems?

Better?

Detroit has elected eight consecutive Democrats as its Mayor. It is in bankruptcy.

D.C. has its ninth straight Democrat Mayor serving. Bottom 10 public school system in America and a top 10 murder rate to match.

New Orleans has elected 14 consecutive Democrats as its Mayor, including Ray Nagin twice.

Atlanta: 9 straight. Can't even keep the Atlanta Braves in...Atlanta.

Chicago hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1927. Has a gun violence rate reminiscent of Pakistan.

Top six cities for highest murder rate have Dem mayors.

Those are the facts. The well-intended Progressive agenda is not working where it is being tried.

#science

you really have a gift my friend. You want to come to Vegas with me and count cards, Rain Man style?

Yes, leadership is rarely at issue when evaluating the impact of public policy.

It's clearly THE factor in how these cities reached their current predicaments. Fix the mayoral problem and BOOM welcome to the gravy train, bitches. Choo fucking choo.

It's clearly THE factor in how these cities reached their current predicaments. Fix the mayoral problem and BOOM welcome to the gravy train, bitches. Choo fucking choo.

Your skillful use of hyperbole has caused me to reconsider the opinion I sarcastically expressed in my earlier post. You're right. It doesn't matter who we elect to mayoral positions. The results will be the same regardless.

Choo fucking choo.

I'm attaching myself to the facts and the results.

How is the sixth decade of the War on Poverty looking in Detroit? New Orleans? Atlanta?

At what point will the results matter?

eta:

70% of top ten lowest unemployment rate states are red states. 70% are right to work states. Respectively, the ten best unemployment rates rank (the in effective tax burden against the other 51 jurisdictions) as follows:
North Dakota 35th highest burden (out of 51)
South Dakota 49th highest burden
Nebraska 45th
Utah 26th
Hawaii 16th
Iowa 33rd
Vermont 13th
Wyoming 46th
Minnesota 7th
Kansas 22nd

70% of bottom ten are blue (including bottom six). Only 3 of these 10 are right to work states (including, laughably, Michigan).
Rhode Island 6th highest tax burden in the country
Nevada 42
Michigan 18th
Illinois 11th
DC 31
Cali 4th
Mississippi 37
Kentucky 26
Tennessee 48
New Jersey 2
Arizona 40

==> As a matter of statistical fact, stronger unions and higher rates of taxation are predictors of higher rates of unemployment and the opposite is true. The lowest three unemployment rates in the country average the eighth lowest tax burden in the country; whereas the sixth, 2nd and fourth highest tax rates all fall in the bottom ten percent of employment. Policies matter.

The most predatory and regressive tax in our State--the lottery--was forced upon a majority of North Carolinians against their will (according to public opinion polls at the time) by Dems in a manner that made Obamacare looked bipartisan. It's so indefensibly cruel to our poorest citizens that it should be illegal (and incidentally, is, unless you are the government)

So if the lottery is so terrible, why haven't the God-Fearing, America-Loving 'pub's who run this state put the lottery to bed? Which party brought the lottery to SC? How about Virginia? How about Tennessee?

Your skillful use of hyperbole has caused me to reconsider the opinion I sarcastically expressed in my earlier post. You're right. It doesn't matter who we elect to mayoral positions. The results will be the same regardless.

Choo fucking choo.

Skillful use of hyperbole...you flatterer, you.

for a seemingly smart dude, jhmd has a really tough time with correlation/causation, necessary/sufficient, and a whole mess of fallacies

And metaphors in thread titles. And a basic understanding of the length of human history.

Reactions: ONW
The job creators are on it.

for a seemingly smart dude, jhmd has a really tough time with correlation/causation, necessary/sufficient, and a whole mess of fallacies

You've got me there. I am obviously not enlightened enough to share your appreciation of the graceful nuances of high unemployment. How provincial of me.

It's weird what happens when you actually look at the results of policies. Okay Captain Causation: why are auto plants opening in the right-to-work south, and closing in the unionized rust belt? Any theories that wouldn't make a climate skeptic look intellectually curious by contrast?

Last edited:
where are we with this?

If only we could measure unemployment in high taxes states versus unemployment in low tax states, and contrast the results. Then we could do the same for union versus right to work states. Someday, maybe.

I must have missed when so-called backwater states became more prosperous than NY, CA, and MA. Just because SC and LA are being used for cheap labor doesn't mean they're prosperous.

They have JOBS, Ph. The things Detroit used to have, before unions, mass unemployment and bankruptcy.

Would you rather be employed and feeding your family (and with a defined contribution plan than you can realistically count on) or looking to a bankrupt local government of union from a shuttered factory for an entitlement program (to money that isn't there)?

Besides, I never said the low tax right to work states became more prosperous. There is much more aggregate prosperity in NY and California, but I could have sworn you guys were concerned about wealth disparity. The difference is the people on the bottom in low tax/right to work states actually have a chance with the greatest social program on Earth: an American job (with the upward mobility that doesn't come with a subsistence entitlement check, unless of course you promise to become more dependent by having more children you can't afford to feed, then the check does tick upward a little bit).

Last edited:
Can you provide a similar list of the cities with Republican mayors who are operating at a profit, have decreased gun violence, and have improved their educational systems?

Better?

While it is tempting to contrast NYC under Rudy and Bloomberg versus their predecessors, I'd rather focus on why---if the experiment of big government and collectivism is God's gift to the disenfranchised---it isn't working where it has been continuously deployed for half of a century? Dems have controlled the local governments for 50 years in places like Detroit, New Orleans, D.C., and Chicago. To what effect?

Red states Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, Idaho and each of the Dakotas are 8 of the top 15 states for lowest unemployment rate as of November 2013. You might be against drilling (I'm not a vocal advocate for it), but I guess we share that luxury as neither of us are the unemployed parent of minor children.

To those people, and many like them around the country, I would want my government to enact policies that attract employers. Without further adieu, the states that aren't doing that (a/k/a the bottom 10% for employment rates in the United States):
46. California. - While the highest individual income tax in the country isn't great, it's probably the weather that drives away jobs.
47. Michigan - Doesn't have much labor left to organize.
48. DC - Noted Republican stronghold.
49. Illinois - That's 49th without Gary, IN.
50T. Nevada - A great place to rent a hotel room, but if you can't afford it just buy a house instead.
50T. Rhode Island - Might be DFL in jobs, but has the 6th highest tax burden. Globalization is a bear, isn't it?

Unemployment is the lowest in places of energy exploration, low taxation and a right to work. Unemployment is the highest in big union and high tax states. Those are the facts.

Last edited:
You've got me there. I am obviously not enlightened enough to share your appreciation of the graceful nuances of high unemployment. How provincial of me.

It's weird what happens when you actually look at the results of policies. Okay Captain Causation: why are auto plants opening in the right-to-work south, and closing in the unionized rust belt? Any theories that wouldn't make a climate skeptic look intellectually curious by contrast?
Clearly mayors.

Not really "on it" per se. From what I can surmise it's more of a passive activity where you wait for the job destroyers to drive them to you.

Then your actual premise is that these are not new jobs, right? From a local perspective, 100 jobs leave Detroit for Greenville, SC, that's bad for Detroit and great for Greenville. However, it's a scratch for the country at best. It's a boost for the margin of the company, but probably a loss in employee total compensation nationally. That company income is realized on Wall Street, so the wealth in NY increases.

If only we could measure unemployment in high taxes states versus unemployment in low tax states, and contrast the results. Then we could do the same for union versus right to work states. Someday, maybe.

so still nowhere? got it.

Back