• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gingrich Detonates Inconvenient Truth re War on Poverty

Still waiting on that list of cities...

jhmd has proven with science that states with valuable energy resources under their soil are likely to have active energy exploration sectors. science also proves that red states like Jesus more, and Jesus put the oil under the Jesus-loving red states, so elect Republicans so your state will also have oil.

ETA: also, if your city has a Democratic mayor, it is guaranteed not to have oil under it. That's science.

UnoCAL says hello. Plenty of natural resources in California. It's local management that's proving to be the problem.

Ok I hate continuing to respond, but you seem unable to acknowledge that this shit is not a one-way street.

Rich people in states/cities with healthy economies elect republicans who will keep their taxes down. Poor people in states/cities with bad economies elect democrats who will help them while they're hurting.

Pubs could be more helpful to the poor and Dems could be more business friendly.

Supply side econ is incomplete, and doesn't work in some places, but you'd have it cure everything. Unions and entitlements have contributed to state economic woes, and need to be kept in check.

Sorry we haven't solved our macroeconomic problems on this thread yet jhmd. Your sardonic histrionics got us halfway there, WHO CAN LEAD US HOME?

Only one of these approaches is working. As an insightful political observer from the State of Alabama once noted, ‎"Poor people have been voting for Democrats for the last 50 years and they're still poor."

Alabama. Reddest of red states. Poorest of poor states. It's the mayors, stupid.

UnoCAL says hello. Plenty of natural resources in California. It's local management that's proving to be the problem.

Do you care to provide any kind of backup for this conclusive statement?

California is the #3 oil producing state, behind Texas and Alaska, has more oil refineries than any state other than Texas, and is second only to Texas in the number of oil and gas jobs in the state. http://www.nbcnews.com/business/reason-its-called-texas-tea-most-oil-rich-states-682011Are you trying to make an argument that if the dad gum Democrat mayors would just get out of the way, California could beat Texas despite having only half Texas' reserves?

Since this thread is all about rustling jimmies by way of drawing broad conclusions from lists, how about this list of American states by poverty rate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_poverty_rate

Let's look at the bottom of the list and how they voted in 2012 shall we?

40 Tennessee Republican
41 South Carolina Republican
42 Arizona Republican
43 West Virginia Republican
44 Oklahoma Republican
45 Arkansas Republican
46 Texas Republican
47 Alabama Republican
48 New Mexico Democratic
49 Louisiana Republican
50 Mississippi Republican
51 District of Columbia Democratic

But I'm sure all the mayors in those states are Democrats so it's probably their fault.

Still waiting on that list of cities...

The OP noted the Speaker's observation that the greatest centers of poverty in this country are Democrat Party strongholds, have been for quite some time, and yet remain centers of poverty. Even if you agree with Townie's belief that the Dems arrived on the scene after economic hard times and antibusiness policies play no role in unemployment, why aren't the Democrats who get elected delivering on the faith placed in them to turn things around?

Since you asked, here's your list of unemployment by cities (which not surprisingly looks a lot like the state-by-state breakdown):

http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

California metropolitan areas comprise 7 of the bottom 8. Los Angeles, who hasn't elected a Republican mayor in quite some time but does have the humble distinction of recently electing a gentlemen who failed the bar on all four of his attempts, checks in at #313.

If you look here -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_income

Of the FIFTEEN states with the lowest median income, I believe all fifteen have Republican governors (at least 13-14 do). Fire all the slackers!

Do you care to provide any kind of backup for this conclusive statement?

California is the #3 oil producing state, behind Texas and Alaska, has more oil refineries than any state other than Texas, and is second only to Texas in the number of oil and gas jobs in the state. http://www.nbcnews.com/business/reason-its-called-texas-tea-most-oil-rich-states-682011Are you trying to make an argument that if the dad gum Democrat mayors would just get out of the way, California could beat Texas despite having only half Texas' reserves?

I already have. Fact: California is in the bottom five of unemployment nationwide despite it's natural resources. I'm showing you---whether you wish to see it or not---that its high tax rate is squandering its natural advantages. It's certainly not a lack of mineral resources.

The OP noted the Speaker's observation that the greatest centers of poverty in this country are Democrat Party strongholds, have been for quite some time, and yet remain centers of poverty. Even if you agree with Townie's belief that the Dems arrived on the scene after economic hard times and antibusiness policies play no role in unemployment, why aren't the Democrats who get elected delivering on the faith placed in them to turn things around?

Since you asked, here's your list of unemployment by cities (which not surprisingly looks a lot like the state-by-state breakdown):

http://www.bls.gov/web/metro/laummtrk.htm

California metropolitan areas comprise 7 of the bottom 8. Los Angeles, who hasn't elected a Republican mayor in quite some time but does have the humble distinction of recently electing a gentlemen who failed the bar on all four of his attempts, checks in at #313.

I do not see an example of a Republican mayor successfully turning around a city...still waiting...

dude, he doesn't need to give evidence of alternatives. just dem mayors:apocalypse:: pub mayors:unicorn blowjobs

I already have. Fact: California is in the bottom five of unemployment nationwide despite it's natural resources. I'm showing you---whether you wish to see it or not---that its high tax rate is squandering its natural advantages. It's certainly not a lack of mineral resources.

That argument is laughable on its face. If anything, California is doing more with less gas reserves than most other states, since it has the second highest number of petro-jobs, behind only Texas, despite having only half of Texas' oil reserves. You are using a stat created by economic factors almost completely divorced from oil and gas and using it to support a poorly formed, ideologically based argument. I am sure you will come up with some add on post to try to get the last word out of this abject failure. Have at it.

923 detonating inconvenient truths all over jh's thread

jhmd will now change the topic enough to keep arguing, likely by coming up with a different economic indicator.

One thing I love about these jhmd threads is that he doesn't realize that when other conservatives don't join to support his point that he needs to just quit.

Another inconvenient truth: The mayor of Yuma, Ariz., which tops the nation's unemployment rate among MSAs at a staggering 31.9% is, of course, a Republican.

Could it be that all those high-unemployment MSAs rank at the bottom because their economies are highly dependent on migrant workers, which skew the data?

Back