• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gingrich Detonates Inconvenient Truth re War on Poverty

from the same bls report, here is the yearly job growth for 2012

North Carolina................| 3,961,700 | 4,047,400 | 85,700

2011 it looked like we increased 20K jobs. Roughly 50K average for the two years.

So apparently the scenario of a car manufacturer having to make layoffs and cutbacks is purely hypothetical and without factual basis, in a conversation about Detroit. Good to know. Also good to know that legislated tax code is perfectly suitable to be bent and broken, yet more arbitrary legislations and laws are untouchable.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

So apparently the scenario of a car manufacturer having to make layoffs and cutbacks is purely hypothetical and without factual basis, in a conversation about Detroit. Good to know. Also good to know that legislated tax code is perfectly suitable to be bent and broken, yet more arbitrary legislations and laws are untouchable.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Got it. Detroit is shithole because businesses laid off low skilled workers. The education system is incredibly corrupt and in shambles - meaning Detroit's citizens are remaining low skilled for the foreseeable future. The city has set up and maintained for decades a tax system that has contributed to it no longer having a tax base. But heaven forbid we offer incentives for anyone who might want to employ Detroit's low skilled residents to set up a business that might employ them in Detroit.

Check out this story. http://www.freep.com/article/20131219/NEWS01/312190121/Ilitches-Red-Wings-Joe-Louis-settlement

On the one hand, apparently the owner of the Red Wings was supposed to pay Detroit up to $80 million for some TV rights over the last 30 years, but Detroit can't figure out if it has received the money or not. But at least Detroit and the taxpayers of the state of Michigan have managed to subsidize some part time concessions and janitorial work for all those laid-off auto workers. It'll only cost the city and state something a few hundred million - Detroit gets to pay $12.8 million a year for 30 years. I'm sure that the Red Wings will still be happy with that stadium and won't ask for anything else over the next 30 years.

What a perfect storm of municipal incompetence, private greed, crony capitalism, and pure unbridled robbing the taxpayer blind.

nobody read my 4000 word post on the past century of economic policy :(

Check out this story. http://www.freep.com/article/20131219/NEWS01/312190121/Ilitches-Red-Wings-Joe-Louis-settlement

On the one hand, apparently the owner of the Red Wings was supposed to pay Detroit up to $80 million for some TV rights over the last 30 years, but Detroit can't figure out if it has received the money or not. But at least Detroit and the taxpayers of the state of Michigan have managed to subsidize some part time concessions and janitorial work for all those laid-off auto workers. It'll only cost the city and state something a few hundred million - Detroit gets to pay $12.8 million a year for 30 years. I'm sure that the Red Wings will still be happy with that stadium and won't ask for anything else over the next 30 years.

What a perfect storm of municipal incompetence, private greed, crony capitalism, and pure unbridled robbing the taxpayer blind.

Almost as good as the $57 million that went missing from the public school system in Detroit - that one is being investigated by the FBI.

How do you fail to account for 80 million USD?

Then there's this gem about potentially building a $500 million USD light rail line - this one is actually funny. The journalist they interview in this thing is hillarious. "Light rail?"

Last edited:
Almost as good as the $57 million that went missing from the public school system in Detroit - that one is being investigated by the FBI.

Amazing, isn't it?

Nowling said this week that the amount the Ilitches owe may be inflated and incorrect.

“There’s a level of urban legend anytime the subject of how much the city is owed is discussed,” Nowling said. “Getting to the bottom of it can be troublesome and difficult.”

The city has been unable to accurately calculate how much it should be paid because Olympia has provided so little information about its revenues, according to a auditor general’s report from 2007.

They let this state of affairs drag on for over 30 years.

Got it. Detroit is shithole because businesses laid off low skilled workers. The education system is incredibly corrupt and in shambles - meaning Detroit's citizens are remaining low skilled for the foreseeable future. The city has set up and maintained for decades a tax system that has contributed to it no longer having a tax base. But heaven forbid we offer incentives for anyone who might want to employ Detroit's low skilled residents to set up a business that might employ them in Detroit.

No. It's because of the mayors. Obviously.

Nobody ever said anything like this. Why do you constantly make things up?

One of the worst things that has happened to cities is allowing Enterprise Zone laws expire.

Then there's this gem about potentially building a $500 million USD light rail line - this one is actually funny. The journalist they interview in this thing is hillarious. "Light rail?"

That state representative wasn't serious, was she? That had to be a joke. Right? 3:30 to 4:30 would be funny if it was so sad.

Also, what was that expert consultant on city planning talking about? What's a "business climate"? He lost me on that one.

Other than the fact it's nearly landlocked, takes more money to ship and receive materials than Charleston, and frozen half the year?

Did you miss this part?

LOL. I'm not as obtuse as a few of you are here trying to argue that Detroit's leadership didn't sow many of the seeds that has left the city a wasteland. You want to pretend that a city that loses 60% of its population, has the highest tax rates allowed by law, has the worst schools in the nation (despite paying its teachers well above the national and its own state averages), can't provide basic services and has an atrocious safety record is only in that condition because of the auto industry. Crap, ONW is trying to pontificate about Detroit being landlocked (it has a world class port that lets ships get to the ocean) and being in a cold climate. I especially find that last one funny as I sit here within the Minneapolis city boundaries tapping away on my keyboard in my living room.

Since nothing else seems to sink in - the metro area of Detroit has over 4 million people. The unemployment rate of the metro area a year ago was 9.9 percent. The unemployment rate in Detroit is by some estimates over 50%. Pull Detroit out of that equation and the metro area is probably not all that far off the national average. In 1950 the metro area population was 3 million and in Detroit it was close to 2 million. Today the metro area is over 4 million and Detroit has 700,000.

The people who paid the bills in Detroit voted. They all moved and it doesn't look like most of them left the state.

You do understand the meaning of the word nearly right?

You gotta love folks who defend one government body by pointing out that other government bodies are also inept.

This thread has gone total Chernobyl/Detroit.

Back