• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Going to Work Sick

Do you go to work while you are sick?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Voted no, but I'll go in if I don't have anything communicable.

I dont know if it is a teacher thing, but every mother fucker comes in with the plague. They make a quip like "oh I am not wasting sick days when I am actually sick." It fucking infuriates me. I have had to take two days off, miss cloud nothings, and delay my spring cover crop planting because an asshole "colleague" came in while sick. Asshole even refused to cover his mouth while he is hacking a lung everywhere. I fucking hate people who do this.

I caught a cold two weeks ago. Felt real bad the first Monday so I didn't come in, but after that for a few days was that "I don't feel great but I'm probably well enough to go in" and was likely contagious. I went from working at Big Four accounting where generally it didn't matter where I was working to a small family owned manufacturer that is still very old fashioned and expects people to be in the office for work, even though I'm fully capable of working remotely for a few days. So as my way of protest I came in sick and if other people get sick, it's because of the dumb company policy.

Also I should say the reason I probably got sick in the first place was one of my clerks had a cold first and did the same thing

I don't get sick very often but when I do I can't always tell if it is a cold or just bad allergies. I go in if I feel well enough to work.

Different given my context - but unless I'm bleeding out, I'm not skipping a Sunday. I might keep my distance from people, but I don't have someone who I can fallback on to give a sermon. During the week, I have the same amount of work to do, regardless of how many days I work. So if it really seems contagious, I'll work from home, but I don't take sick days. I also have my own office and can quarantine myself pretty well.

I dont know if it is a teacher thing, but every mother fucker comes in with the plague. They make a quip like "oh I am not wasting sick days when I am actually sick." It fucking infuriates me. I have had to take two days off, miss cloud nothings, and delay my spring cover crop planting because an asshole "colleague" came in while sick. Asshole even refused to cover his mouth while he is hacking a lung everywhere. I fucking hate people who do this.

Fuck, man.

Hahaha. I'm a teacher, and have actually said this. I'm a shitty person. That being said, if it's something that is contagious, I generally stay home.

How does one determine this?

You always hear people saying 'I'm not contagious' but are you really sure?

am-i-contagious-1296x2442.png

if businesses weren't so draconian about time off, people being out while sick would be less of an issue

If I'm too sick to focus and or am contagious (more than a cold) then I won't go.
That being said, I've only missed two days of work in 10 years. One was during a flu epidemic (swine flu i believe) where we were explicitly instructed to stay home if we felt the least bit bad....I felt kinda crappy one day, thought I might be coming down with the flu, but it was just a cold and the next day I felt noticeably better (wouldn't have taken off had we not been explicitly instructed to do so). Missed a day about a month ago because I got a nasty 24 hour stomach bug from my son...I could barely get off the floor, much less drive to work.

Unless I'm puking/shitting uncontrollably or bleeding out, I'll be there. I'm currently an educator, so one of those little shits probably gave it to me anyways. I don't get any sick days.

What about hourly workers with unpaid sick leave?

If it's a run of the mill cold then yeah. I usually don't ever get things worse than that so I rarely use sick days. If there's fever or puking then nah. Bacon's too sick to focus is a good baseline.

Back