• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Interesting choice. I've never used a finished bourbon for a cocktail. Let me know how it turns out.

This manhattan mix with angels envy was great. Mixing the vermouth really brought out a smoky flavor and a lot of sweetness from the bourbon. I tried the Angels Envy on the rocks and it was great too. But in the manhattan you could really taste some complex flavors that just weren't there until mixed. Drank 3 last night. Drinking one now.

Never circled back to comment on this thread after my wedding, but we really enjoyed the bottle of Willet 9-Year Single Barrel that I picked up to sip before the ceremony.

Was our 18yr single barrel? If not, that could be the price difference. Either that or 1992-1995 were awesome years.

http://www.state-journal.com/local ...-bourbon-stolen-from-buffalo-trace-distillery

I think their pricing is a little off on the Van Winkle Rye.

MORE THAN $26K IN RARE BOURBON STOLEN FROM BUFFALO TRACE DISTILLERY
Franklin County Sheriff Pat Melton says theft may have been an inside job
By Kristina Belcher, Published: October 16, 2013 12:32PM

Sheriff Pat Melton said his office is conducting an investigation after more than $26,000 of rare bourbon was reported stolen from Buffalo Trace Distillery.

“Right now we are looking at it as an internal theft,” Melton said.

Melton said Buffalo Trace reported Tuesday that 65 cases – with three bottles per case – of Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 20 Year bourbon and nine bottles of Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye were taken.

Pappy Van Winkle’s Family Reserve 20 Year bourbon is worth about $130 a bottle. According to the Buffalo Trace website, it is the top rated bourbon whiskey in the world with a 99 out of 100 rating by the World Spirits Championship.

Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye is aged for 13 years and is worth about $25 a bottle.

Melton said the bourbon was stolen over the last couple of months.

“I think it’s going to be a tough case to solve,” Melton said. “You got about 50 employees that had access.”

Buffalo Trace representatives could not be reached for comment.

“It will be a challenge but we’re going to do the best we can,” Melton said.

Been visiting new ABC stores trying to find different bourbons...

Finally found one near my work that doesn't just carry Four Roses Small Batch seasonally. Grabbed that and Russell's Reserve Small Batch 10 YR OLD which I've never tried before.

Thoughts on the RR? (Sipping Four Roses right now)

Man, it's been a while since I had the RR, but I remember liking it. If my memory is correct, it's a little sweet up front with some warmth/spice on the finish. Good bourbon though.

I went pretty simple last night - Makers Old Fashioned. Nothing fancy, but probably my go-to cocktail when I'm out.

Lucky day. Stumbled upon Colonel E H Taylor SINGLE BARREL

this shit is on a whole different level

This is pappy level

Had a buddy I hadn't seen in a while bring a fifth of Blanton's to me at the tailgate yesterday. Life is good.

Big fan of EH Taylor. The rye is even better than the single barrel in my opinion. But agree that it is a tad over priced. And the price is rapidly going up around here. More than $10 in the last couple of months.

How many shakes of bitters do most of you use in your manhattans? I usually buy angostura. Some of those flavored bitters catch my eye but have some chemical additives like propylene glycol (toxic).

Thoughts?

Big fan of EH Taylor. The rye is even better than the single barrel in my opinion. But agree that it is a tad over priced. And the price is rapidly going up around here. More than $10 in the last couple of months.

agree with this. i had a groupon for like $20 off a $75 purchase at a nice liquor store and it made eh taylor the perfect price

How many shakes of bitters do most of you use in your manhattans? I usually buy angostura. Some of those flavored bitters catch my eye but have some chemical additives like propylene glycol (toxic).

Thoughts?

I usually just do a couple of dashes...nothing too precise. I always keep Angostura, Peychauds, and Fee Bros Orange bitters on hand. Occasionally I'll pick up something different, but those are my regulars.

I usually just do a couple of dashes...nothing too precise. I always keep Angostura, Peychauds, and Fee Bros Orange bitters on hand. Occasionally I'll pick up something different, but those are my regulars.

Same. I typically use a mix of Fee Bros Original and Orange, but I've also got some Bittermans Xocolatl Mole bitters and The Bitter Trute Grapefruit bitters that make a nice change as well. The Mole bitters are really interesting.

I use Fee Bros Cherry and then don't bother with the cherry garnish

Back