• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

The only thing to learn is what you like. There's no one "right" way to drink a Bourbon, and the mistakes you make while finding out what you prefer aren't exactly unenjoyable.

I enjoyed the Wild Turkey. Will try it with just ice this evening and then pick up the Four Roses this weekend to compare. I have to learn the art of sipping instead of chugging!

I enjoyed the Wild Turkey. Will try it with just ice this evening and then pick up the Four Roses this weekend to compare. I have to learn the art of sipping instead of chugging!

I would also suggest the following bourbons to try:

Weller Special Reserve or Old Weller Antique (wheated bourbon)
Buffalo Trace, Elmer T. Lee, Four Roses Small Batch, Old Forester Signature, or Old Grand Dad BIB (rye based bourbon)
Rittenhouse BIB or Sazerac Rye (rye whiskey)

All of these should be under $30 and would be a good introduction to the three main styles of American whiskey. If you want Tennessee Whiskey you can always go with Jack Daniels or George Dickel (I'd recommend Dickel No. 12). Once you figure out the style you like you can explore other offerings within that category. Or, if you're like me, it all tastes good and you end up spending way more on whiskey than you should!

The only thing to learn is what you like. There's no one "right" way to drink a Bourbon, and the mistakes you make while finding out what you prefer aren't exactly unenjoyable.

Agreed, absolutists bother me.

I just did a one finger pour last night with 2 cubes. I am going to have to start drinking this stuff outside during the winter. It definitely warms you up! I'm going to save the rest until this weekend (only bought the 375 ml bottle) and compare to the Four Roses.

Just opened up a bottle of 10 yr Eagle Rare from Buffalo Trace. Tasty. Lots of caramel and fruit on the front end and a little banana? and some oak at the finish. Poured two fingers and two cubes into a mason pint.

Solid and ambitious choice for a first Bourbon IMO. At that price point, give Four Roses Single Barrel a try for your next bottle. Better yet, pick up a bottle now so you can drink them back to back and decided for yourself. It's my favorite, that's easily available, in the $35-40 range.

For some reason none of the ABC stores in Cabarrus county (at least near Concord/Kannapolis) carry Four Roses.

I got it once towards Salisbury in Rowan County I think, but the guy at the ABC store near my work put my name down to reserve a bottle of Four Roses when they get their order in for the Christmas Season

Saw some Stagg Jr. In my store yesterday, didn't pick it up though

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1381018445705.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1381018445705.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
It's been a scotch day for me. Ardbeg Corryvreckan to start, then on to a 1991 Lagavulin special bottling and then to Dalwhinnie 15 year. Not sure what to end my night with, but my pops has a lot to choose from.

For some reason none of the ABC stores in Cabarrus county (at least near Concord/Kannapolis) carry Four Roses.

I got it once towards Salisbury in Rowan County I think, but the guy at the ABC store near my work put my name down to reserve a bottle of Four Roses when they get their order in for the Christmas Season

Drive South. Mecklenburg stores have Single Barrel and Small Batch. You can even check for stock before you go on the Meck ABC website.

Tell me about the 4 Roses small batch vs the single barrel. Worth 8 more dollars? Worth trying both?

Tell me about the 4 Roses small batch vs the single barrel. Worth 8 more dollars? Worth trying both?

I prefer the Single Barrel but others on here prefer the Small Batch. Four Roses has 10 different recipes, consisting of either the high rye recipe or lower rye recipe and one of five yeast strains.

Single Barrel is the OBSV recipe and is 100 proof.

Small Batch is a blend of OBSO, OBSK, OESK, and OESO and is 90 proof.

O = Designates produced at the Four Roses Distillery in Lawrenceburg, KY.
E = The mashbill that is 75% corn, 20% rye, 5% malted barley.
B = The mashbill that is 60% corn, 35% rye, 5% malted barley.
S = Designates straight whiskey distillation.

V/K/O/Q/F = Yeast strain used to create flavor characteristics.

Last edited:
The 2013 BTAC has been released. Good luck in your search.

Any personal preference on these? I have the inside track on scooping something for once in Pa, but I have not had any of these. I love the cheaper Weller, Eagle Rare, and Sazarac bottles. I'm inclined to go Weller as I really enjoy the wheat aspect. I'm sure Pa will fuck me once again, and I will be left with nothing. We shall see.

Any personal preference on these? I have the inside track on scooping something for once in Pa, but I have not had any of these. I love the cheaper Weller, Eagle Rare, and Sazarac bottles. I'm inclined to go Weller as I really enjoy the wheat aspect. I'm sure Pa will fuck me once again, and I will be left with nothing. We shall see.

I think that WLW is the best. Followed by GTS, then Saz 18, then THH, then ER17.
**The order of Saz 18 and THH goes back and forth.

Of course taste is always subjective.

In a spot with Elijah Craig and Jefferson 21 year olds ($135 each) is either one a must have?

Making manhattans tonight. Got some Angels Envy for 45$. Bourbon is finished in port wine barrels and read some good reviews. Mixing with Dolin sweet red vermouth and Angostura bitters. Getting excited.

I have some Johnny Black that I'm going to drink tonight? It is probably entry level or whatever, but I DON'T CARE IT IS DELICIOUS and I am a whiskeynoob.

Last edited:
Making manhattans tonight. Got some Angels Envy for 45$. Bourbon is finished in port wine barrels and read some good reviews. Mixing with Dolin sweet red vermouth and Angostura bitters. Getting excited.

Interesting choice. I've never used a finished bourbon for a cocktail. Let me know how it turns out.

Hit the rare breed this weekend. Very spicy. Enjoyed it immensely.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

Back