• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

fair enough

just a few weeks out from the antique collection. any word on which ones are good this year, b&d?

Here's the press release. It's notable that the Eagle Rare 17 is really 19 years old (when bottled)...distilled in 1993. Although, with that said, the last few ER17 releases have been distilled in 1993, so it's possible that they tanked it in stainless steel tanks to keep it from aging once it hit 17 years and was the right profile.

For what it's worth, WLW has always been my favorite, but some years (like 2009) were EXTREMELY hot tasting to me. My personal favorite release was 2007.

BUFFALO TRACE DISTILLERY RELEASES 2013

ANTIQUE COLLECTION

FRANKFORT, Franklin County, Ky (Sept. 10, 2013) Whisky lovers rejoice, Buffalo Trace Distillery is releasing its 2013 Antique Collection in late September. The highly anticipated collection will once again feature five limited-release whiskeys of various ages, recipes and proofs. Here’s what ardent fans can expect:

Eagle Rare 17 Year Old
The previous edition of this bourbon was honored with a Gold Medal at the 2012 International Wine and Spirits Competition. The 2013 edition was distilled in the Spring of 1993 and has been aging on the 2nd, 3rd and 6th floors of Warehouses I and K. The barrels selected for this batch were actually aged for 19 years, and the taste has been described as dry, with hints of oak, leather, and tobacco.

George T. Stagg
The 2012 release of this perennial favorite was named the “World’s Best North American Whiskey” at the 2013 World Whiskies Awards. The 2013 George T. Stagg was found in Warehouses I, K and Q. This uncut, unfiltered bourbon was distilled back in the spring of 1997 and weighs in at 128.2 proof, not as strong as some years, due to the location of the barrels on lower floors. “We sample many barrels throughout the year to find the best ones to create George T. Stagg. It just so happens this year, most of the barrels had been stored on lower floors. The temperature remains cooler down low where it balances the mature flavors from the wood and in turn the proof climbs slowly from the entry proof. The quintessential George T. Stagg taste is there – a big, bold whiskey that is easy to sip,” said Harlen Wheatley, master distiller. Although still highly allocated, Buffalo Trace did begin to start putting more barrels away back in 1997 for future George T. Stagg releases. This whiskey tastes of fudge, vanilla, and tobacco.

Sazerac Rye 18 Year Old
Last year’s release was awarded a 95 rating and Liquid Gold Award in Jim Murray’s 2013 Whisky Bible. This 2013 rye whiskey release was aged in Warehouses K and is described as mellow spice, vanilla sweetness, mint, and a dry finish.

Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye
Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye is an uncut and unfiltered straight rye whiskey. The 2012 edition was named “World Whisky of the Year” in Jim Murray’s 2013 Whisky Bible. This year’s Handy was distilled in the spring of 2007, aged on the seventh floor of Warehouse K and weighs in at 128.4 proof. The flavor has been described as toffee, clove, and allspice.

William Larue Weller
William Larue Weller is the Antique Collection’s uncut, unfiltered, wheated recipe bourbon. The previous edition was named the “Second Finest Whisky in the World” in Jim Murray’s 2013 Whisky Bible. The 2013 offering was distilled in the spring of 2001 and aged on the third and fourth floors of Warehouses M and P. This William Larue Weller release registers in at 136.2 proof. It tastes of dates, caramel, and brown sugar.

The Antique Collection was introduced more than a decade ago and has become a cult favorite among whiskey connoisseurs. Since 2000 these whiskeys have garnered numerous awards from such notable publications as Whisky Advocate Magazine, Spirit Journal and Jim Murray’s Whisky Bible.

The 2013 Antique Collection whiskeys will be available in limited quantities starting in late September or early October. Suggested retail price is $70 each.

Last edited:
I am in serious need of a trip to the liquor store. All I have on my shelf right now is either uber high-end or stuff I bought on a whim that I just hate. Nothing for copious daily consumption, and nothin I will make a manhattan or rye negroni with.

And b&d, I am going to stop being lazy and post my tasting notes from a couple of weeks ago soon.

Pouring some Jefferson 10 Year Rye from a barrel selected by my local liquor store. It's pretty good stuff.

Does it have a barrel number listed? The Jefferson Rye that we picked has a lot of flavor even though it's not a high proof.

It doesn't. Just says bottled for Schneiders. They did say they bought the whole barrel. And a barrel of bourbon. But I agree about the depth of flavor. It's got a nice spice to it, but yet it's smooth. I'm liking my second glass even more.

Went on a nice little bourbon spree over the weekend in the NC mountains. Mostly a wine drinker, so I bought a few bourbons I had never tasted and then tried to sample different bourbons when I was out.

Started with some Blanton's on Wednesday night, before some high school buddies rolled in on Thursday. Picked them up at the Asheville airport and headed to the Grove Park Inn for some cocktails on the lower patio. Woodford Reserve and then the Bulleit Rye before heading to dinner. Finished the night at the house with a bit of Blanton's. Friday afternoon was golf and beers, then a few Knob Creek's with dinner. On to the pub after dinner and enjoyed several tastes of Jefferson Reserve. Threw in a couple Mount Gay and sodas on the lake on Saturday afternoon and for the 'Bama/aTm game, then some Buffalo Trace Old Fashioneds for the night games and poker.

All of the bourbon I drank was with two ice cubes or neat (except for the OFs). The clear winner for me was the Jefferson Reserve. Have to say the least impressive for me was the Blanton's (given the price). The OFs were a good way to sustain the back end of 12-hours of drinking. Have no idea what that says about my palate but with Fall weather coming, looking forward to adding to the knowledge base!

Last edited:
Picked up bottle of Noah's Mill last night

May have sampled a tad more than I anticipated.

Went on a nice little bourbon spree over the weekend in the NC mountains. Mostly a wine drinker, so I bought a few bourbons I had never tasted and then tried to sample different bourbons when I was out.

Started with some Blanton's on Wednesday night, before some high school buddies rolled in on Thursday. Picked them up at the Asheville airport and headed to the Grove Park Inn for some cocktails on the lower patio. Woodford Reserve and then the Bulleit Rye before heading to dinner. Finished the night at the house with a bit of Blanton's. Friday afternoon was golf and beers, then a few Knob Creek's with dinner. On to the pub after dinner and enjoyed several tastes of Jefferson Reserve. Threw in a couple Mount Gay and sodas on the lake on Saturday afternoon and for the 'Bama/aTm game, then some Buffalo Trace Old Fashioneds for the night games and poker.

All of the bourbon I drank was with two ice cubes or neat (except for the OFs). The clear winner for me was the Jefferson Reserve. Have to say the least impressive for me was the Blanton's (given the price). The OFs were a good way to sustain the back end of 12-hours of drinking. Have no idea what that says about my palate but with Fall weather coming, looking forward to adding to the knowledge base!

I see you added the price qualifier. I completely agree with you on the Blanton's. I've had some good bottles and some that are very, very average. I struggle to wrap my head around it sometimes because there doesn't seem to be a clear taste profile to me. Then you factor in the price and, for me at least, there are many other bourbons at a better price point that I reach for more often and are just as good to me. For a similar price, I prefer Rock Hill Farms. They are basically the same bourbon (both from Buffalo Trace), but RHF is 100pf.

Blanton's also has a release called "Blanton's from the Barrel" and I've only had it once and it was much better IMO...but I do like a higher proof.

There are actually five different current Blanton's releases (I think)...only one of which is available in the USA:

Green Special Reserve - 80 pf
Original - 93 pf
Silver - 98 pf
Gold - 103 pf
Straight From the Barrel - cask strength

Picked up a bottle of Willet Pot Still Reserve and a bottle of Elmer T. Lee. I liked the Elmer T Lee a little more than the Willet, but both were good.

I've been into three shops recently that have the run-of-the-mill Willett Rye going for $70. GTFO with that shit. I like it just fine at the normal $35-$40 range, but at $70 that's just taking advantage of the fact that there isn't any other Willett available.

I've been into three shops recently that have the run-of-the-mill Willett Rye going for $70. GTFO with that shit. I like it just fine at the normal $35-$40 range, but at $70 that's just taking advantage of the fact that there isn't any other Willett available.

Yep...another reason for you to pick up a couple of those 6yr Willetts @ $55, Buckets!

Last edited:
Back