• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

A buddy and I just cracked open a bottle of Old Grand Dad BIB from 1992 (before it was a Beam product). Any one else pouring some bourbon tonight?

yvy6e8ym.jpg

A couple college buddies and I are going on a golf/bourbon excursion in Kentucky in a couple weeks. I'm working on the details and so far I have stops at Town Branch Brewing and Barrel House Distillery in Lexington (both near our hotel), Four Roses in Lawrenceburg, Woodford in Versailles, Buffalo Trace in Frankfurt (for the late-night ghost tour) and Willett in Bardstown. Our itinerary is pretty tight since we have to squeeze in golf each of the three days we'll be there, but let me know if anyone has good suggestions on other things to see/do while we're in the area. FWIW, we're staying in Lexington and will just be bombing around in a couple rental cars. Figured everyone gets to take a turn being the DD one day, which seems fair.

A couple college buddies and I are going on a golf/bourbon excursion in Kentucky in a couple weeks. I'm working on the details and so far I have stops at Town Branch Brewing and Barrel House Distillery in Lexington (both near our hotel), Four Roses in Lawrenceburg, Woodford in Versailles, Buffalo Trace in Frankfurt (for the late-night ghost tour) and Willett in Bardstown. Our itinerary is pretty tight since we have to squeeze in golf each of the three days we'll be there, but let me know if anyone has good suggestions on other things to see/do while we're in the area. FWIW, we're staying in Lexington and will just be bombing around in a couple rental cars. Figured everyone gets to take a turn being the DD one day, which seems fair.

When you're at Four Roses pick up one of the gift shop Single Barrel bottles (not the standard Single Barrel 100pf bottle but the cask strength one)...they are usually outstanding. I picked up a 13 yr bottle back in November....I wish I bought a few more.

I'd skip going to Willett and go to Heaven Hill or Maker's instead. There's not a ton to see at the Willett distillery, but there are a few bottles in the gift shop. Since your schedule is tight Heaven Hill might be the one to see, but I think Maker's is the better tour (if you are driving from Bardstown you drive past HH on your way to Willett - they are about a mile from each other on Hwy 49/Loretto Rd).

When you're at Four Roses pick up one of the gift shop Single Barrel bottles (not the standard Single Barrel 100pf bottle but the cask strength one)...they are usually outstanding. I picked up a 13 yr bottle back in November....I wish I bought a few more.

I'd skip going to Willett and go to Heaven Hill or Maker's instead. There's not a ton to see at the Willett distillery, but there are a few bottles in the gift shop. Since your schedule is tight Heaven Hill might be the one to see, but I think Maker's is the better tour (if you are driving from Bardstown you drive past HH on your way to Willett - they are about a mile from each other on Hwy 49/Loretto Rd).

We are playing golf in Bardstown that morning and the Willett distillery looked like it was the closest, but I will check out Heaven Hill as well. The Maker's distillery looked like it was a few miles outside of town, plus their web site says they'll be on a scheduled shutdown during our visit, so the distillery won't actually be running. Since we're tight on time I didn't think it would be worth the drive out there if there wasn't much going on.

Thanks for the heads up on Willett. Think I may re-arrange our schedule for that day.

I stopped hunting for Pappy a while ago, but I thought I'd go ahead and post this here for people that hope to have a slight chance of possibly getting a bottle, maybe....if they are lucky.

(Follow "Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery" on Facebook - they will post updates as they ship allocations. Sorry to the folks in alcohol control states.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old Rip Van Winkle Distillery
8 hours ago near Louisville, KY

Just a reminder as to how the timing works for the release of product. We make our wholesalers aware of their allocations on Oct 1st. From there it is up to them to place their, order, schedule pickup and get inventory out into their respective markets. So, stock can hit store anywhere from mid October to late November depending upon how quickly the wholesaler acts.

A buddy and I just cracked open a bottle of Old Grand Dad BIB from 1992 (before it was a Beam product). Any one else pouring some bourbon tonight?

yvy6e8ym.jpg

I remember some of the older old grandad I had at your place. That was some fantastic stuff.

I remember some of the older old grandad I had at your place. That was some fantastic stuff.

That was OGD BIB bottled in 1984. Much better than the bottle pictured above, although obviously some similarity. I thought that one from 1984 was outstanding also.

Not a bourbon, but after watching Augie in Covert Affairs give a bottle of Templeton Rye, I had to pick one up for myself to try.

I like templeton a lot, but I really wish it was higher proof. 80 proof just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Was sipping on some Basil Hayden yesterday. Can't put my finger on why, but I really don't like that stuff. Not even a little.

I like templeton a lot, but I really wish it was higher proof. 80 proof just doesn't do it for me anymore.

Was sipping on some Basil Hayden yesterday. Can't put my finger on why, but I really don't like that stuff. Not even a little.

It has the Beam funk and is too low proof. I'm right there with you on this one.

At $90, it's actually a pretty good value compared to some of the other top 10. Has anyone had #8? At $30, it sounds like a steal:
#8: Elmer T. Lee Single Barrel, 45%, $30

Yeah, ETL is pretty good...I posted on here about a month ago when the real Elmer T. Lee passed away at the age of 93 (scroll down to post 1907 - http://www.ogboards.com/forums/showthread.php/2721-Good-bourbon/page96).

I usually keep a bottle around and my group just did a private barrel of it which is outstanding. I only bought two bottles of it and wish I got more!

I did include ETL on that list that was quoted on the first page of this thread...I just wish the proof was higher (they had a 107pf release years ago) but it still carries good flavor even with the lower proof.

Last edited:
Back