• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

picked up a bottle of this in MB along with a bottle of Templeton Rye. Have yet to meet a rye I did not like.... Russell's Reserve, Knob, Whistle Pig, Templeton. Have not tried this one yet, on tap for this week. The Templeton was great but nothing touches Whistle Pig yet. They had the Pig for $109 in MB, I picked mine up in NJ for $69. So has anyone given this one a try yet?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/larryolmsted/2012/10/25/a-brand-new-rye-whiskey-that-will-turn-heads/

I've had it before and it's not bad. The whiskey is sourced from LDI, which is the same place that Templeton, Bulleitt, High West, etc source their rye whiskey.

I have yet to see a bottle of the Four Roses LE SB in any of the liquor stores I frequent. I try to mix it up, but no luck so far.

Went to the Wasmund's distillery today. It's not my favorite whiskey, but seeing the process is always interesting. Their operation is very different from other distilleries I've been to.

Found a little six year Willett at my local spot, very tasty

Went to the Wasmund's distillery today. It's not my favorite whiskey, but seeing the process is always interesting. Their operation is very different from other distilleries I've been to.

I'm still hoping for some tasting notes.

I'm drinking some Jefferson Rye single barrel while watching per-season football tonight. I hate Sunday nights.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Trying some Elijah Craig Small Batch tonight...one of the few I haven't tried from the local ABC store.

Four Roses Single Barrel kind of Saturday. Anyone else pouring?

Went to the Buffalo Trace distillery today in KY. Beautiful place. Sampled the mash before it is aged in the barrel. Was actually pretty tasty but 145 proof.

Pouring some High West Rendezvous Rye after get back into Chicago tonight. On the rocks with a touch of water, really smoky, robust and grassy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Glad this thread is around. I saw it before but don't tend to drink a lot of bourbon so didn't really dig in. The wife and I drink wine mostly. My brown liquor choices are usually either Mount Gay Rum (Summer) and Jameson (Winter). But I have 4 high school buddies rolling in to town on Thursday for a long weekend in the mountains, 2 of which are big bourbon drinkers. Reading through this thread for some good ideas to supplement the Knob Creek I have in the bar already and getting pretty fired up about all of the different styles of bourbon out there and all of the knowledge being dropped in this thread.

Probably looking at Blanton's or Jefferson Reserve (15 yr) for the weekend. I am going to hit the Tower on Piedmont in Atlanta to see what they have available. Any other good spots in the ATL with good bourbon selections?

Glad this thread is around. I saw it before but don't tend to drink a lot of bourbon so didn't really dig in. The wife and I drink wine mostly. My brown liquor choices are usually either Mount Gay Rum (Summer) and Jameson (Winter). But I have 4 high school buddies rolling in to town on Thursday for a long weekend in the mountains, 2 of which are big bourbon drinkers. Reading through this thread for some good ideas to supplement the Knob Creek I have in the bar already and getting pretty fired up about all of the different styles of bourbon out there and all of the knowledge being dropped in this thread.

Probably looking at Blanton's or Jefferson Reserve (15 yr) for the weekend. I am going to hit the Tower on Piedmont in Atlanta to see what they have available. Any other good spots in the ATL with good bourbon selections?

If you're up for a drive, head to Conyers and go to Sigman Bottle Shop. I haven't been out there in a year or so, but they have/had the best selection that I've found in Atlanta. Tower is good, as is the Total Wine in Alpharetta or Kennesaw (I'd rate Tower slightly higher in terms of selection).

Try a Rye Bourbon to go against the wheats you are looking at. 4 Roses, Buffalo Trace, Sazerac, etc. In my opinion, it makes a better cocktail.

Blantons is made at Buffalo Trace distilleries. It is aged for less time in a metal covered building to speed up ageing vs the buffalo trace which are in brick buildings and get 4-5 years longer in the barrel.

Both are bottled on the same line though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

B&D - Thanks for the confirmation on Tower. It is 10 minutes from my house and by far the most convenient. I will keep the others in mind if I am ever in those areas.

DeacWatcher/Drdeac - Thanks for the info on Buffalo Trace. Based on some of the other comments on this thread, I think I will give that a shot.

I just got an email ad from my local total wine for some bourbon specials. Have any of you guys tried any of these:

Chestnut Farms (looks overpriced): http://www.totalwine.com/eng/produc...&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=chestnut_farms

Two Stars: http://www.totalwine.com/eng/produc...m_medium=email&utm_campaign=two_stars_bourbon

Winchester: http://www.totalwine.com/eng/produc..._medium=email&utm_campaign=winchester_bourbon

STAY AWAY, BUCKETS! Don't be lured in by Total Wine's specials and help them move merchandise.

Chestnut Farms - don't know anything about it but it's from Sazerac, so likely distilled at Buffalo Trace...definitely looks overpriced.

Two Stars - nothing says quality like "2 stars"...at least it's better than 1 star! Also looks to be from Buffalo Trace (maybe).

Winchester - sourced bulk whiskey...not from South Carolina...that's just where's it's bottled. Aged two years. If you like watered down, raw, barely aged whiskey, maybe give it a try if it's less than $10...

fair enough

just a few weeks out from the antique collection. any word on which ones are good this year, b&d?

Back