• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Had a Hirsch 20 bourbon tonight. While it's a nice enough bourbon, it's not my style. I'm not 100% sure of the proof, but I'm pretty sure it's only 80pf (at least that is what is tasted like). And there was waaaaay to much oak. Basically an oak bomb. I have a 25 year Hirsch rye at home that I have the same issue with. I guess there are people that gravitate towards this style, but not me. I'm still interested in trying the gold foil Hirsch 16, but I think I'm otherwise done with dropping decent money on this brand.

For JDawg and others that are in/near Baltimore, I've heard that Kings Liquor (on Pulaski Hwy east of 95) has a private barrel of OWA for $25 and a limit of 5...not sure how much is left though. Might be worth a phone call or swing by if you're in the area. I've also heard that Chaps Pit Beef is a great spot and it's only a few miles west of them - kill two birds with one stone!

Good looking out but they're closed on Sunday :(

This has come up before but I can't find the page. How does one go about pre-making a bottle of manhattans?

Just go with 2:1 or 3:1 rye/bourbon to sweet vermouth. You can add a little water if you'd like. You can also add bitters (2-3 drops/dashes per three ounces) - I prefer to add bitters when I pour into the glass so I can choose from the different options.

Keep the mixed bottle in the fridge.

(Do a 2:1:1 of rye to sweet vermouth to Campari for a boulevardier.)

Last edited:
I haven't heard good things - it's very young and aged in 30 gallon barrels...I haven't tried it myself though. Give it a try and let us know what you think!

It was fine for me. That said, I'm not very picky. It was pretty grainy I'd say, and my first impression was that I wouldn't spend the $ on it.

headed to Ireland in a couple of weeks. the only thing I know about Irish whiskey are Jameson and Bushmill's. What should I be on the lookout for? anything I should look at to bring home with me (duty free or something)?

headed to Ireland in a couple of weeks. the only thing I know about Irish whiskey are Jameson and Bushmill's. What should I be on the lookout for? anything I should look at to bring home with me (duty free or something)?

Green Spot and Yellow Spot, although they both might be available over here now...I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find some good recommendations.

Red Breast.

Green Spot and Yellow Spot, although they both might be available over here now...I'm not sure. I'll see if I can find some good recommendations.

Green spot is now available in the States, as of maybe a year ago. Yellow spot, however, is not, and is very good. I would defs recommend picking up a bottle. You may also be able to find some Middleton offerings that you can't get here. My parents brought me back a bottle of Middleton's Very Rare Distiller's Edition (or something like that) which was unavailable in the states.

Here's what a buddy recommended if you're going to Dublin:

If he goes to Dublin, he should look for the Celtic Whiskey Shop. Plenty of private casks. They will ship back to the USA.

Yeah, the Celtic whiskey shop is where my parents got the Middletons. My pops has ordered other stuff from them online and been pleased.

Word. Thanks. We watched the Dublin episode of The Layover and Bourdain went to some whiskey bar that has like a hundred labels including their own private label. Might have to check it out.

Also visiting Cork, Kilkenney, Killarney, and Galway.

I turned 18 in Dublin and to celebrate drank a litre of Teachers Irish Whiskey. Then I got on a boat to cross the Irish Sea the next day. I threw up on the deck of that boat all the way to Wales.

I ordered a few bottles of absinthe a couple of weeks ago and it just cleared US customs today. WOOT! Get at me wormwood!

Back