• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

It’s that time of year again - the advent calendars are arriving…

Went for the Boutique-y Whisky one this year and tacked on the Tequila/Mezcal one for the wife.

Anyone get one of the ultra-rare options?

Bought a bottle of Blue Note today. Never had it and I don't think it's hard to find it anything, but figured I'd check it out. It was $35 in SC. Also bought a backup bottle of Heaven Hill BiB for $55. Just bought a Weller 12 from a family friend for $65 which seems like a good deal given how hard it has been to find the last couple years.

Bought a bottle of Blue Note today. Never had it and I don't think it's hard to find it anything, but figured I'd check it out. It was $35 in SC. Also bought a backup bottle of Heaven Hill BiB for $55. Just bought a Weller 12 from a family friend for $65 which seems like a good deal given how hard it has been to find the last couple years.
$65 for Weller 12 doesn't seem bad at all. I think MSRP on OWA is like $45 now. If you're in SC, check out Six & Twenty. Picked up a Total Wine barrel pick of the Six & Twenty 5 grain whiskey and was very impressed.

It’s that time of year again - the advent calendars are arriving…

Went for the Boutique-y Whisky one this year and tacked on the Tequila/Mezcal one for the wife.

Anyone get one of the ultra-rare options?
We went with the single cask version this year. Curious how you like the Boutique-y one. I really liked it a few years ago, but it wasn't my dad's favorite. And those ultra rare ones are bonkers. Like $11,000 or something or something cray like that.

Just got the big bottle of Buffalo Trace for $58. Not bad considering there are places down here that want $70 for the smaller bottles.

Just got the big bottle of Buffalo Trace for $58. Not bad considering there are places down here that want $70 for the smaller bottles.
I've finally got to the point where I can get as much Buffalo as I could ever need for $30 a bottle. A few months ago that wasn't the case, but work travel has opened up a lot of bourbon doors. I brought about 25 bottles back from TN last month for friends and family. But yes, $58 is great for a big buffalo.

I've been drinking a lot of EC Barrel proof recently. Stuff is great.

That's a great deal. The cheapest I've seen (the regular bottle) anywhere in Boston is $49.

$65 for Weller 12 is....off the chart. I can't find it around here on the ground for under like $300 and the cheapest I see on winesearcher that isn't auction is like $249

I also saw a bottle of Blanton's at $125 but not paying that and some Elmer T Lee bottles that were already spoken for. I haven't seen those in years.

Going back to Creamy's post above, it is strange that certain states have a surplus of Buffalo and other states have almost none.

That's a great deal. The cheapest I've seen (the regular bottle) anywhere in Boston is $49.

$65 for Weller 12 is....off the chart. I can't find it around here on the ground for under like $300 and the cheapest I see on winesearcher that isn't auction is like $249
Yeah, I wouldn't be getting W12 for less than $175 if it weren't for my friend hooking it up. He had a few bottles.

I also saw a bottle of Blanton's at $125 but not paying that and some Elmer T Lee bottles that were already spoken for. I haven't seen those in years.

Going back to Creamy's post above, it is strange that certain states have a surplus of Buffalo and other states have almost none.
I won't spend more than $90 on Blantons. Currently have 3 bottles and I paid MSRP for 2 of them and $90 for my 3rd. It's all over the place for $150-$200 and it blows my mind. There are so many better bourbons.

I was really late to the game trying Angel's Envy Rye. That shit was like drinking a cinnamon gingerbread cookie. Absolutely delicious.

I won't spend more than $90 on Blantons. Currently have 3 bottles and I paid MSRP for 2 of them and $90 for my 3rd. It's all over the place for $150-$200 and it blows my mind. There are so many better bourbons.
Blantons and ETL have gone the way of allocated bottles in Colorado - so much hype, yet such a let down for my palate.

Yeah all of these bottles are highly allocated in Massachusetts (and I'd imagine the same for New York based on the prices I see while sorting). Could write an entire book on it obviously, but the secondary market (Facebook marketplace, etc. popping up even more in earnest during Covid) is putting retailers in a weird spot pricing wise. They get it at a low price themselves, but they don't get many bottles period, have to buy up other lower end stuff to even get an allocation, and then the secondary market is selling it for $$$ so it's a tough pricing model to maximize return.

Yeah all of these bottles are highly allocated in Massachusetts (and I'd imagine the same for New York based on the prices I see while sorting). Could write an entire book on it obviously, but the secondary market (Facebook marketplace, etc. popping up even more in earnest during Covid) is putting retailers in a weird spot pricing wise. They get it at a low price themselves, but they don't get many bottles period, have to buy up other lower end stuff to even get an allocation, and then the secondary market is selling it for $$$ so it's a tough pricing model to maximize return.
It's wild how different it can be...I've got a good friend in MA and we met up in DC recently and went to Jack Rose to try out some stuff and catch up and he was telling me all about how hard and expensive it can be to find certain bottles....part of the Jack Rose trip was to try some things he was considering buying.

To each their own but Blanton's is not worth $90.

Back