• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I don't disagree, but you're not likely to find it for under $90 without a good hookup. The cheapest I see online anywhere listed is $99 (California).

To each their own but Blanton's is not worth $90.
100% agree. It's worth ABC MSRP prices and that's it. I just wanted to have a 3rd bottle in my cabinet, so I got sloppy with the $90 purchase. I keep track of every bottle I buy in the Booze app, and track how much I spend on each bottle, which will give me the average per bottle. It's a cool app and helpful to keep track of what I like and don't like.

Johnson City had a EH Taylor Small Batch drop last month. I got 2 bottles for $70 each, which is about $20 more than MSRP. But nice to have a couple in the cabinet, and I could flip them both for $100 easily.

Randomly found a special reserve on the shelf in Johnson City too for only $38 which was a huge surprise.

Johnson City had a EH Taylor Small Batch drop last month. I got 2 bottles for $70 each, which is about $20 more than MSRP. But nice to have a couple in the cabinet, and I could flip them both for $100 easily.

Randomly found a special reserve on the shelf in Johnson City too for only $38 which was a huge surprise.
i've found some places that don't price gouge out here, but you have to be a pretty frequent flier to luck into finding bottles (which I'm not anymore).

100% agree. It's worth ABC MSRP prices and that's it. I just wanted to have a 3rd bottle in my cabinet, so I got sloppy with the $90 purchase. I keep track of every bottle I buy in the Booze app, and track how much I spend on each bottle, which will give me the average per bottle. It's a cool app and helpful to keep track of what I like and don't like.
No shame. I paid $80 for a Weller 12 at some shithole gas station in Kentucky about 8 years ago. Wife made me do it.

Bourbon game these days is all about relationships and timing. It's honestly similar to being in Sales as a profession. Hunting for new business/bourbon...Maintaining relationships and schmoozing business owners...Being at the right place at the right time. A lot of similarities.

Sometimes I envy the people who walk into the ABC store, buy a handle of Evan Williams and walk out with a smile on their face. Must be nice to not care about what you drink.

Replace that with wild turkey 101 and that’s me. The bourbon game has been insanity for too long now so I’ll look for a solid barrel proofer every once in a while and move on.

I also drink about 1% of the bourbon I once did, not really a hobbyist anymore.

Was at Costco a few weeks ago and popped into the liquor store part just to see if they had anything interesting, and they had 10 or so bottles of Buffalo Trace sitting at the front counter. $19.99 with a sign that said one per member/customer. So I bought a bottle just so I could pretend it was 2017 again. Odd that it would show up at Costco, given how in demand it seems to have gotten the last 3-4 years.

Finally tried the Whistle Pig piggyback bourbon (bussin with the boys single barrel select if that makes a difference) and well the taste is…complicated. Like if you want a Jim Beam type Bourbon this is not it. There’s vanilla and cinnamon, I almost feel like I have to do a wine tasting type thing saying I’m getting hints of x y and z. Not for me. I get it that’s it supposed to be a cocktail bourbon, but there are surprises here that I was not expecting (much like my meeting with HR).

The bourbon scene has been insane for a while. I've switched to a Canadian Whiskey and Caribbean rum to tie me over until prices stabilize.

The Jack BiB is pretty damn good. $35 a bottle. I'm not a huge Jack guy, but the BiB is surprisingly tasty and available everywhere. Coopers Craft is also a good bottle for $25. If I'm going Evan Williams, I'm going white label BiB for $23 a handle. It's sneaky good.

Had a BiB bourbon night at a friends house last month. Lineup was:

Evan Williams
Jack
Mckenna 10 yr
Heaven Hill 7 yr
Early Times

Did 1/2oz pours of each. General consensus was the $60 Mckenna isn't worth it when comparing to the $20 Evan Williams.

The Jack BiB is pretty damn good. $35 a bottle. I'm not a huge Jack guy, but the BiB is surprisingly tasty and available everywhere. Coopers Craft is also a good bottle for $25. If I'm going Evan Williams, I'm going white label BiB for $23 a handle. It's sneaky good.
The Jack Triple Mash is very good! Their SiB is fantastic also and arguably one of the best SiB's for the money. It is better than Blanton's.

The Jack Triple Mash is very good! Their SiB is fantastic also and arguably one of the best SiB's for the money. It is better than Blanton's.
I really like the Triple Mash too. Havent tried tried the SiB yet, but it's on my to do list.

Since we're talking Jack, one of my all time favorite pours is a Barrel Proof, Single Barrel Jack that some local guys picked out. Proofed out at just over 130 and yet still so fucking smooth. Really, really great drinker - been nursing that bottle because I don't want it to end.

Yeah the single barrel Jack is great. We have a couple bottles from when my wife competed in a cocktail event down there last year. Definitely a little hot and you can tell the proof is up there but it's tasty.

Back