• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Yeah I don't know if it's a case of the three-tiered distribution system, that NC (I believe still?) has government run liquor stores, a combination, or just the local market. Buffalo Trace recently went up $2, but for the last 4 years at least it's been around $25 from the distributor.

Like I said earlier, I've seen a wide price range on BT and Eagle out on shelves but haven't seen one lower than $49 for BT. Saw $40 for Eagle (although it's mostly $50-75). BT is just all over the place...seen it up to $90-100 from $49. I'm sure if you wandered into the right random corner store you could find it for like $45 or so, but I'd doubt it's anywhere for less than that in the state.
I've heard the NC ABC system has a strained relationship with BT or whatever distributor they get BT products from. Don't know if that's true, but it's crazy that Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare have become "allocated" bottles in NC when you can walk in to stores in other states and buy as many as you want.

I’m a day late because of work travel, but here is my Jesus Whiskey Day 1. Went with a single cask box this year. So today is a very well known whiskey to me, generally. I have a bunch of bottles collecting dust on some shelves. Smooth Ambler Old Scout. This one is a 5 year old and comes in at 119.2 pf. I haven’t had a SAOS of any kind in a while, but this is pretty tasty. I get quite a lot of orange in this one as well as some cinnamon. It’s defs a high proof, but more in the way it makes my lips tingle rather than a harsh burn. Good stuff. Not mind blowing, but good.

Jesus whiskey 2 is Gulliver's 47 Toasted & Re-charred Edition (94 pf). This is an English whiskey. Really distinctive flavor. Kinda musty, kinda spicy. Not bad, and kinda growing on me one sip and. It so much the next. I dunno. This might not be my style.

Jesus whiskey day 3 is Caol Ila 9 year old (2011) James Eadie edition (115.2 pf). The peat flooded the room as soon as I cracked the bottle. Heavy menthol smell. Very minty and smoky. A little salty even. There is something very familiar about this but I can’t put my finger on it. I like it but it’s not something I could drink much of in a single sitting. Something more to have on hand for an occasion.

It may taste like that old school brown listerine. Or maybe cepacol throat spray. Or chloroceptic.

Jesus Whiskey 4 is Glen Spey 2009 10 Year Old (Cask#804620) - Berry Bros. & Rudd (114.4 pf). This one is a winner. Bright and fruity. The high proof is certainly apparent, mostly on the nose, but it’s not harsh. Just a nice pleasant burn. A little smoky but also not too much so. This is just a really nice, well balanced scotch. Would defs like to drink again.

Jesus Whiskey 5 is Bruichladdich 26 Year Old 1992 (cask 3841) -The Single Malts of Scotland (109.8 pf). The heat on this one hits pretty hard. It’s super viscous too. But once past the heat there is quite a lot going on here. There is some creaminess and some fruitiness that’s really nice. I don’t say this often, but I think this would be even better at a slightly lower proof. That said, if I had a bottle of it I would happily drink this until I passed out.

Whiskey 6 is Balvenie 12 Year Old Single Barrel - First Fill (95.6 pf). Balvenie is always a favorite so I’m excited for a single barrel. Tastes like the B12 I’m used to but a bit more complex and hotter (but defs not actually hot). I get vanilla and some toastiness from the oak, and a nice sweetness. This one is another winner for sure. If you like the standard 12 year then I would run out and buy one of these (apparently Totes Wine has it). It’s really really good. I might even like it better than the 14 year Caribbean cask, which is one of my fav Balvenies.

Jesus whiskey 7 is Inchgower 10 Year Old 2009 (cask 803609) - Berry Bros. & Rudd (113.4 pf). I can’t stop lolling at the name. I keep seeing Inchgrower and thinking it’s one of those pills they sell at my local sketch liquor store. But this is a new one for me. It’s a boutique Speyside. It is very full bodied and rich. Lots of malt and oats. Some woodsy stuff happening too. It’s really really good. A decent heat to it, but I wouldn’t call it a burn, like in the throat. Just a heat in the mouth but goes down pretty smooth. I really like this one and would like to see what else they’ve got to offer.

Jesus whiskey 8 is Dufftown 12 Year Old 2008 (cask CM262) - The Golden Cask (House of Macduff) (117.6 pf). Another new distillery for me, I think. This one is super light in color but relatively viscous. Got some tropical and honey notes. But hoo boy this stuff is hot. Can feel it the moment it hits my lips all the way down the throat. I think there might be something nice in my glass but it’s hard to tell. Just put some ice in the glass and let it hang out for 30 seconds or so and that made a world of difference. Definitely numbed some of the flavors, but at least now it’s drinkable.

Jesus whiskey 9 is Glen Moray 13 Year Old (cask CM266) - The Golden Cask (House of Macduff) (118 pf). I like this one a lot. It’s got some banana notes and a lot of oats/barley. And it’s not really that hot for being 118 pf. I’d defs do this again.

Baby Jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt whiskey No 10 is GlenAllachie 12 Year Old 2009 (cask 5551) - Drinks By the Dram Exclusive (115 pf). This one is a sherried speyside. It’s a deep caramel color unlike the last few which have been relatively light. The raisiny sweetness from the sherry hits right off the bat, but it’s not overpowering. There is still a lot of malt and some cocoa and Christmas spices. It’s got a nice heat to it, though I’m going to guess that my pops will say it’s a little too hot. For me this is a pretty stunning whiskey. 10/10 would drink again.

Back