• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Very Old Barton is a solid option for the price. I have bottles of the 86 and 100 proof. Will drink either of them on ice and it is a great option for an Old Fashioned.

I was able to get two bottles of Buffalo Trace here in NC recently for $33 apiece (tax included). Not bad on the price, even though it is hard to find.

Made a batch of homemade egg nog a couple of weeks ago using Old Grand Dad Bonded. The cinnamon nose on the OGD works great. Highly recommended for that purpose. Going to make another batch this week to have on hand for Christmas…

986b311f7af5e1ea09fff9c97737bad5.jpg

Having to double up today since I missed yesterday. So Whiskey 11 is certainly new to me: Dailuaine 12 Year Old 2008 (cask 307138) - Moon (Fable Whisky) (109.6 pf). This one is interesting. Light in color but not in flavor. It’s nutty and kinda has a banana pudding thing going on. Kinda sweet kinda spicy. Nice heat to it, defs not overpowering. And no peat or smoke to speak of. Not my favorite whiskey of all time, but I don’t really have any complaints. Just a nice solid pour.

Jesus whiskey 12 is Blair Athol 25 Year Old 1995 (cask 14585) - Xtra Old Particular (Douglas Laing) (115.8 pf). Talk about different in literally every way. Much darker in color with tons of smoke. This was in a sherry cask the full 25 years. I’m getting a lot of stuff here, some of which are new and different. Mushrooms maybe, lots of charred oak but then also some of the dried fruit sweetness from the sherry cask. But overall I can’t recall tasting a whiskey like this. It’s very unique, which I like. Just something different. Good stuff.

Lucky No 13 is Caramel Apple Sauce 1991 (bottled 2018) - Wemyss Malts (North British) (92 pf). This is defs a Scotch I’m not familiar with. But I defs like it. Lots of malt and sweetness and orange. And at 92 pf it’s super duper smooth. Maybe too smooth. It’s nice tho.

Would you guys rather have some of these allocated bourbons cost more but be more readily available or cost less but see it less frequently (or I guess live in California where it's both easy to find and cheap)

Would you guys rather have some of these allocated bourbons cost more but be more readily available or cost less but see it less frequently (or I guess live in California where it's both easy to find and cheap)

My philosophy on that is there is a lot of really good bourbon available that is easy to find here. I’m fine with only seeing the allocated stuff infrequently and paying a fair price for it. Plus, I go down to South Carolina enough that I can find things there that I don’t see as often in NC.

I think I'd like to see more availability, even if that meant a reasonable increase in cost.

I do miss OWA and Rock Hill Farms. Someday, I'd love to have a pour of Pappy. Otherwise, it's not too hard to find great replacements that aren't price gouged to hell. I think I'll stay in CA.

Very Old Barton is a solid option for the price. I have bottles of the 86 and 100 proof. Will drink either of them on ice and it is a great option for an Old Fashioned.

I was able to get two bottles of Buffalo Trace here in NC recently for $33 apiece (tax included). Not bad on the price, even though it is hard to find.

Made a batch of homemade egg nog a couple of weeks ago using Old Grand Dad Bonded. The cinnamon nose on the OGD works great. Highly recommended for that purpose. Going to make another batch this week to have on hand for Christmas…

986b311f7af5e1ea09fff9c97737bad5.jpg
I have a bottle of granddad bonded as we speak. Haven't ever made eggnog. Should I just google and find a basic recipe, or do you have anything particular that you do for your eggnog?

Made an Old Fashioned with EW Bonded(White label) last night and it was alright. For $18 a bottle it's good bang for buck

Define allocated. Around NC, some stores consider OWA, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace as allocated products. None of them are worth more than the MSRP and there are other options equal or better that I can find.

I'd prefer the hoarders and the flippers stop buying it up creating the faux demand.

Made an Old Fashioned with EW Bonded(White label) last night and it was alright. For $18 a bottle it's good bang for buck
I can't go that far down for an Old fashioned or Manhattan. If I am using bourbon for either its Buffalo Trace and if rye well there are many options but has to be at least at the Bulliet or Rittenhouse level. A buddy of mine said that he has started using George Dickel rye but I haven't given that a try yet.

Whiskey 14 is Craigellachie 12 Year Old 2008 (cask 13906) - Old Particular (Douglas Laing) (96.8 pf). Very light in color, but this is what I think of when I think of a typical Scotch. It’s bready and nutty and malty, with just a touch of peat. It’s got a nice heat. It’s not super interesting or overly complex, but there also isn’t anything weird about it. it’s just a nice drinking whiskey.

I've come to accept the fact that I'll likely never be able to acquire the same level of bourbons that I did 5-10 years ago, and that's ok. As much as I would love any of the BTACs bottles, like that WLW, the cost and effort isn't worth it to me. I was recently offered the chance at a local shop to buy Rock Hill Farms for $400, and they thought that was a steal. They also had Lot B for $900, which ain't gonna happen. As much as I love bourbon, the pricing and availability is becoming too much to bother with trying to find any of the prized stuff.

I spent a few days in Oaxaca over Thanksgiving week and have decided that I'm going to lean in heavily to mezcal over bourbon and see how that works out. I've always liked mezcal and I'm just hoping that I can use it to cure my bourbon blues. And there are a number of places near me that I can find some decent bottles so I've been picking them up randomly over the past few weeks and it's been working out pretty well.

Back