• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Getting close to the end now. Jesus whiskey 20 is Allt-á-Bhainne 14 Year Old 2005 (cask 69290) - Infrequent Flyers (Alistair Walker) (119.8 pf). This one is very floral and spicy with lots of honey and cinnamon. Really fucking good. Really hot on the tongue but it doesn’t burn my throat, so I know I’m drinking something high proof but it’s not hard to get down. I REALLY like it a lot and want to find more of it. Nah, I must find more of it.

Last club pick ups of the year. Feel sad about walking away from it, but know that it’s better for me to get off Facebook even if that means leaving the bourbon club behind. Cheers!
2b4b6f08eff8e3791737c19b91e339e3.jpg

I think maybe I'm over the bourbon thing. Drank quite a few different varieties and most were ok, but few got my attention as unique or different. Perhaps that's because bourbons are limited in their ingredients. I thought Walking Stick was pretty original, and there was one from Washington State that had been aged in port barrels that was good too-- not too "porty." But in the end, I found myself always going back to Maker's Mark.

I bought a bottle of scotch (just the basic Glenmorangie 10), and while it was a bit lighter on the tongue than I prefer my bourbon, I thought it was perfectly fine, probably preferable to most of the bourbons I've had.

I’m the same basic bitch as you. I’ve had lots of bourbons I like as much as Makers but only one or two very expensive ones I like comfortably more. On the flip side, I’ve had lots of bourbons that aren’t nearly as good to me as Makers then I’m mad I spent the money.

Bottom line……I pretty much only buy/drink Makers now.

Jesus whiskey 21 is a bit of a surprise - Peerless 3 year single barrel rye - The Merchants Cask (108 pf). Shocked that a 3 year rye is this deep in the calendar, but I’ve never had Peerless so I’m interested to try it. It packs a bit of a punch, but not too overpowering. I definitely get the rye spiciness but it still drinks more like a non-rye bourbon for me. Curious what the mashbill is. I get a little mint and something like menthol as well as some dried fruit. I really like this. Its not the best whiskey in the box or the best rye I’ve ever had, but it’s good enough for me to pick up a bottle at my local the next time I’m in. I’ve seen it but never thought to pick one up since I’d never had it before.

Funny, the Peerless 3 year was in my box as well - didn't love it. It was like #18 I think.

Picked up a bottle of Makers Wood Finishing Series BRT-02 at the ABC store on Patterson. Haven't opened it yet but hear it's pretty good. Currently sipping on the end of my Elijah Craig Barrel Proof B522. It's hot, but very tasty.

Lucked into a bottle of Elijah Craig 18 at the Davidson county ABC store Monday.

Funny, the Peerless 3 year was in my box as well - didn't love it. It was like #18 I think.
I'll be curious to see if the regular bottling is similar to the single barrel. That said, I just googled it and didn't realize that it was so expensive. $135 at totes wine, which means that my local will be at least $150.

Jesus whiskey 22 is Cataibh 10 Year Old 2010 - Chorlton Whisky (117.2 pf). This is pretty special. It’s salty butterscotch. A bit of orange and vanilla as well. A lot of tingly heat in the mouth but not a terribly harsh burn going down. This is a really nice whiskey and one I would love to have again.

The penultimate 2022 Jesus Whiskey is Caol Ila 9 Year Old 2009 (cask 319291) - Artful Dodger (119.4 pf). This is really nice. Lots of smoke, as you’d expect from Caol Ila, but not overwhelming. I get a decent amount of butteriness and nuttiness and it finishes with this totally different minty menthol thing. Really interesting, like a shapeshifter in a way. A lot going on in this one. And I don’t find the alcohol to be too much given the high proof. A great way to kick off the weekend. Looking forward to see what tomorrow brings.

The final bandy Jesus whiskey is Auchentoshan 30 Year Old 1990 (cask 14568)- Xtra Old Particular (Douglas Laing) (112.2 pf). This is super nice. Not sure I’ve had many 30 year whiskeys at barrel strength and this one holds all of its flavors. Very viscous with lots of nuttiness and oak and malt. Nice honey and tropica fruit as well. I’m always a fan of everything Auchentoshan does, and this one might be the best I’ve had. An exceptional way to end the calendar.

The final bandy Jesus whiskey is Auchentoshan 30 Year Old 1990 (cask 14568)- Xtra Old Particular (Douglas Laing) (112.2 pf). This is super nice. Not sure I’ve had many 30 year whiskeys at barrel strength and this one holds all of its flavors. Very viscous with lots of nuttiness and oak and malt. Nice honey and tropica fruit as well. I’m always a fan of everything Auchentoshan does, and this one might be the best I’ve had. An exceptional way to end the calendar.
I hope this is in mine... Fell behind a few days...

My dad actually was finally selected in one of those ABC lotteries and ended up walking away with a George Dickel 17 Year Old Reserve. Look forward to trying that!

Back