• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Somewhere back in this thread we talked about liquor stores in Nashville. My wife is gonna be there this weekend. Where might she come across the big bottle of Buffalo Trace? There is almost none to be found in upstate SC.

So it’s that time again - Jesus Whiskey! This year my dad, brother and I went with Japanese whiskey calendars, just to change it up a bit. I’m defs gonna have to do some research on these.

Up first is Mars Maltage Cosmo (96pf). This is “a blended malt featuring whisky from the little-known Japanese distillery Shinshu, as well as whiskies from undisclosed Scottish distilleries.” This is definitely on the lighter side. I get orange and chocolate and a little oakiness. Zero smoke or bite. Not mind-blowing but still a tasty dram. Excited to see what else is coming in this calendar.

Jesus whiskey 2 is White Oak Tokinoka Black (100 pf). This is blend of malt whisky (50%) and grain whisky (50%) before being in matured three different types of casks - ex-bourbon, ex-sherry and new oak barrels. The sherry is certainly there bringing some fruitiness. Very smooth. Quite tasty.

Somewhere back in this thread we talked about liquor stores in Nashville. My wife is gonna be there this weekend. Where might she come across the big bottle of Buffalo Trace? There is almost none to be found in upstate SC.
I hope someone told you about Belle Meade which is the same price point but slightly better than BT

Jesus whiskey 3 is Hakushu Distiller’s Reserve (86 pf). I’ve at least heard of the distillery, so that’s a start. I like this one a lot. Grassy and citrus with a touch of smoke on the finish. A nice little bit of spiciness as well. Finishes very smoothly. Not sure how widely available this one is, but it would be a welcome addition to the shelf.

I don’t get the love for Buffalo Trace. I really don’t care for it much at all, especially at the elevated prices people are charging for it. There is a place in my neighborhood that always has it but it’s something like $56 a bottle (750 ml). That’s criminal IMO.

I don’t get the love for Buffalo Trace. I really don’t care for it much at all, especially at the elevated prices people are charging for it. There is a place in my neighborhood that always has it but it’s something like $56 a bottle (750 ml). That’s criminal IMO.
That’s crazy. I just paid $38 for a 1L bottle at my local shop. It’s not my favorite by any stretch, but for mixing, I like it better than some of the other stuff in that same range, assuming normal prices (I think Bulleit was a dollar less and Makers was 3 dollars less).

BT is my favorite at the right price point.

At a shop in Gatlinburg they wanted $160 for a handle of BT and 200 for a fifth of EH Taylor small batch.

That’s crazy. I just paid $38 for a 1L bottle at my local shop. It’s not my favorite by any stretch, but for mixing, I like it better than some of the other stuff in that same range, assuming normal prices (I think Bulleit was a dollar less and Makers was 3 dollars less).
Come on now.

Come on now.
Most things in that $25-$30 per fifth range are generally going to be bourbons that gets mixed with something for me - even if it's just a splash of ginger ale or a bit of sugar, water and bitters. Too many better (some much better) bourbons in my liquor cabinet that I drink neat or on the rocks.

It’s $20 out here

Most things in that $25-$30 per fifth range are generally going to be bourbons that gets mixed with something for me - even if it's just a splash of ginger ale or a bit of sugar, water and bitters. Too many better (some much better) bourbons in my liquor cabinet that I drink neat or on the rocks.
We have another thread for this.

Just because Buffalo trace is unobtainable these days doesn’t mean it’s any better than what it is, assuming you’re suggesting it’s way better than what she’s saying

I'd rather have Wild Turkey 101 than Buffalo Trace. BT definitely isn't worth the secondary prices people are paying or "hunting" around for it. The hype all the Sazerac owned bourbon brands are getting these days is ridiculous.

BT is in most grocery stores, so it's gotta be a wholesale access thing right?
Yeah absolutely. It’s not the easiest thing to get hands on for us and we need to buy other liquor from the portfolio to get it. We just stockpile BT and Eagle Rare. I’d also imagine that $28 isn’t best pricing for stores who are willing to buy like 100 cases at a time or whatever lol

Jesus whiskey 4 is Nikka Days (80pf). I’m familiar with a number of Nikka offerings, but don’t think I’ve had this one. Very light and with such a low abv it’s incredibly something and easy drinking. Not complex at all and some vague hints of citrus and maybe a little peat. It’s not bad but there really isn’t anything to it. I wouldn’t bother with this one.

Whiskey 5 is The Kurayoshi Pure Malt. This is a “blend of whiskies sourced from Scottish distilleries, blended with Japanese whisky and volcanic-stone-filtered water.” This one is quite nice. Dried fruit makes me think there is a sherried whiskey in there somewhere. It’s sweet with a little spiciness and a touch of heat. If there is any peat here it’s very slight. Overall this is a tasty little pour.

Back