• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Whiskey 15 was Akashi White Oak Single Malt. This was the peatiest whiskey so far. Not Laphroig or anything, but still some stuff. It was quite oaky and earthy. Not my favorite but not bottom of the lot. Just a totally decent whiskey.

I think this was the whiskey I picked up a while back. Whatever it was, the wood (oak, I guess) taste I got from it reminded me of some sakes I've had. It felt rather light too. Totally decent is how I'd describe it too. Probably not something I'd drink again unless offered.

Whiskey 20 is Fuyu Blended Whiskey. This one is SUPER sweet. I feel like I can almost taste raw sugar. It’s kind of herbal, like eucalyptus, but overall not much going on. And absolutely zero finish. It just stops cold. Very odd. Not a gross whiskey, but not a good one. This is a hard pass for me.

Jesus whiskey 21 is The Kurayoshi Pure Malt Sherry Cask. This one is sweet up front and a little nutty. Also a little salty. Getting a little smoke, but just a hint. A nice little bite too, though not much of a finish. This is a nice whiskey, though perhaps a little boring. Middle of the road for me.

Jesus Whiskey 17 is Hibiki Japanese Harmony. This is super different from 16. Lots of deep fruit and pumpkin pie spices. Maybe burnt oranges. Some umami funk but it’s nice. Like this one a lot.
I like Harmony too. I still prefer the Hibiki 12, but Harmony was a pretty good replacement.

I switched up my Jesus booze calendar this year and am a little bummed that I can't read wfudkn's reviews while I try them all...

Whiskey 15 was Akashi White Oak Single Malt. This was the peatiest whiskey so far. Not Laphroig or anything, but still some stuff. It was quite oaky and earthy. Not my favorite but not bottom of the lot. Just a totally decent whiskey.

Quoting Whiskey 15 since whiskey 22 is Akashi White Oak Blended Whiskey (as opposed to the single malt). Similar to the single malt, this is very peaty compared to the other whiskies in the box. I get a distinct cake flavor. It’s buttery and maybe a little bit of that almondy/cherry flavor. I like this quite a lot. Definitely better than the single malt, and I would absolutely buy this one if I found it in the wild.

long time!!! welcome back, man. what're you drinking these days?!
Mostly the usual suspects (owa, FR, etc). Along with those my daily drinker tends to be wild turkey 101 and I have been enjoying a lot of the different makers mark single barrel picks.

Last edited:
Really digging the larceny barrel proof and it’s only $50 at SC Costco.

Mostly the usual suspects (Iowa, FR, etc). Along with those my daily drinker tends to be wild turkey 101 and I have been enjoying a lot of the different makers mark single barrel picks.
Welcome back!
Need any help with barrel program planning?

Grabbed a Peg Leg Porker 8 Year Limited Edition today to add something totally different to the collection.

Jesus Whiskey 23 is Miyagikyo Single Malt. Lot going on with this one. A nice peatiness. Not overpowering but still present. I get banana and some menthol and some Christmas spice. I really dig this one. It’s definitely one I would like to have again.

Happy Birthday Jesus whiskey 24 was pretty predictable from the start - Yamazaki 12. Nutty, citrusy, good depth, nice sweetness. Had this one a bunch and it’s always good. While predictable, still doesn’t disappoint. Until next year!

I’d like to try the Miyagiko. Seen a few of their allocated bottlings too and just seems so solid. Thanks for sharing this year. May grab my wife one of these for next year. Seems like such a great gift

Back