• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Jesus whiskey 6 is Yamasaki Distillers Reserve. I’ve had a lot of Yama over the years, not sure if I’ve had this one or not. I get some woodiness and some minty spice. It’s certainly a solid pour.

Jesus Whiskey 7 is Hatozaki Blended. The various whiskies are apparently aged in many different cask types, including sherry, bourbon and Mizunara oak. This is one of the clearest whiskies I’ve ever seen. Almost clear as water. It’s very smooth, with sweet, light fruit like banana. I also taste a little “burnt” from the char on the barrels. This is quite nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whiskey 8 is Nikka’s Yoichi Single Malt. While not as light as whiskey 7, this is still very light in color. I get deep chocolaty and earthy notes on this one. And a menthol like finish. There is a bit of spiciness and a very slight bit of heat. No peat here. This is a tasty pour for sure. Would defs drink again.

Whiskey 8 is Nikka’s Yoichi Single Malt. While not as light as whiskey 7, this is still very light in color. I get deep chocolaty and earthy notes on this one. And a menthol like finish. There is a bit of spiciness and a very slight bit of heat. No peat here. This is a tasty pour for sure. Would defs drink again.

I was hoping you'd get into some of the Nikka Single Malt stuff so I could get your opinion on them. They're very hard to get hands on allocation wise (at least in Massachusetts). We get three a year - this one retails for like $140 MSRP or so and I haven't had the chance to try any of them (Yoichi, Miyagikyo, or either of their peated/non-peated higher end bottles). Thanks!

I was hoping you'd get into some of the Nikka Single Malt stuff so I could get your opinion on them. They're very hard to get hands on allocation wise (at least in Massachusetts). We get three a year - this one retails for like $140 MSRP or so and I haven't had the chance to try any of them (Yoichi, Miyagikyo, or either of their peated/non-peated higher end bottles). Thanks!

For what it’s worth, this was the fav so far for my brother and I, and my dad’s second fav (7 was his) #smallsamplesizedeac. I’ve had a handful of Nikka whiskies over the years and the only one I recall not loving was the Coffee Grain.

Time to see if my last post holds up. Jesus whiskey 9 is Nikka Coffey Grain. I maybe like this better than I remember, but it’s still not my favorite. It’s pretty thick and sweet. Drinks more like bourbon than scotch, which I like, but there is a bit of a funk to it that isn’t my thing. By no means is it bad, but I’m not paying $90 for it (which is what I saw it for at a store in Annapolis earlier today).

Whiskey 10 is Mars Kasei Blended Whiskey. This one is floral, and is pretty bright and crisp. There is a little bit of a funky sweetness going on too. Overall it’s not very interesting. It’s ok. Not great but totally fine. Defs in the bottom tier of the box so far.

Whiskey 11 is more from Nikka. Today is the Coffey Malt, which is different from the ubiquitous Coffey Grain from two nights ago. Never had it before. Whoa this is VERY different from the Grain. This is mega fruit forward. I get strong banana on the back end. Lots of spice like nutmeg and cloves. I couldn’t drink a lot of it in one sitting, but I like it. It’s just…. a lot.

Whiskey 12 is Togouchi Premium Blended. Pretty light bodied with the alcohol pretty prevalent. Light honey sweetness, but almost no real structure or finish. Not great. Wouldn’t seek it out.

Whiskey 13 is The Chita Single Grain from Suntory. It’s a blend of whiskies aged in sherry, bourbon and wine casks. I defs get some kind of melon thing going on, like cantaloupe. It’s really nice. It’s different than the others so far and I like it.

a3037c13b492771bf58056e1cef74299.gif

And I sat in the same seat as ScarJo in this scene at the top floor bar at the Tokyo Park Hyatt. So I got that going for me.

Jesus Whiskey 14 is Mars Komagatake Single Malt 2021 Edition. I like this one quite a lot. It’s pretty aggressive on the front end, but I like that. It’s different than a number of the whiskies so far, which have been more soft and muted. There are some dried fruits from the sherry cask and some herbaceousness (is that a word?). My brother preferred last night’s but I like this better. This is in the top tier of the calendar so far for me.

Whiskey 15 was Akashi White Oak Single Malt. This was the peatiest whiskey so far. Not Laphroig or anything, but still some stuff. It was quite oaky and earthy. Not my favorite but not bottom of the lot. Just a totally decent whiskey.

Was back in DC last night and missed whiskey 16, so catching up. 16 is Hatozaki Pure Malt. Another on that is bordering on clear, but it certainly isn’t muted. Lots of spice and honey and mint. Got a nice little bite to it that’s a little numbing on the lips. And the tiniest little bit of smoke on the finish. I like it quite a lot and would defs drink again.

Jesus Whiskey 17 is Hibiki Japanese Harmony. This is super different from 16. Lots of deep fruit and pumpkin pie spices. Maybe burnt oranges. Some umami funk but it’s nice. Like this one a lot.

The Harmony is excellent. We try to max the bottles we can get on this one every year to sell. Really solid price point for the quality and folks snatch them up quickly

The Harmony is excellent. We try to max the bottles we can get on this one every year to sell. Really solid price point for the quality and folks snatch them up quickly

Yeah, I could see this being really popular across the board.

Jesus Whiskey 18 is Kaiyo Whiskey Cask Strength (106 pf). Never heard of this distillery before. Apparently this is aged in mizunara casks (apparently a Japanese oak)and spent some time at sea in the aging process. I’m immediately thinking of the jabroni Jefferson Ocean, so let’s see. It’s got a deep caramel color. The oak is definitely there but not overpowering. It’s buttery and maybe some burnt orange, and definitely more on the viscous side that some others. A little bite to it but not too sharp. I’m a big fan of it and would buy if I found it.

Well it’s Suntory Time again for Whiskey 19, Suntory Toki. I’m a little surprised that a relatively accessible and inexpensive whiskey is this far along in the box but ¯\(ツ)/¯. There is some fruit in there. Apples and pears maybe, and a little bit of spice. It’s super easy drinking but not really anything special. I put it on par with some $35 Irish whiskies in terms of style. Totally fine, but would have preferred this in the beginning of the box.

Back