• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

I have a bottle of granddad bonded as we speak. Haven't ever made eggnog. Should I just google and find a basic recipe, or do you have anything particular that you do for your eggnog?

b274766c97cbb3d22df19805a00dd5a8.jpg

This is the recipe I use. Yields about a gallon. It turns out {Cousin Eddie voice} really nice.

I've come to accept the fact that I'll likely never be able to acquire the same level of bourbons that I did 5-10 years ago, and that's ok. As much as I would love any of the BTACs bottles, like that WLW, the cost and effort isn't worth it to me. I was recently offered the chance at a local shop to buy Rock Hill Farms for $400, and they thought that was a steal. They also had Lot B for $900, which ain't gonna happen. As much as I love bourbon, the pricing and availability is becoming too much to bother with trying to find any of the prized stuff.

I spent a few days in Oaxaca over Thanksgiving week and have decided that I'm going to lean in heavily to mezcal over bourbon and see how that works out. I've always liked mezcal and I'm just hoping that I can use it to cure my bourbon blues. And there are a number of places near me that I can find some decent bottles so I've been picking them up randomly over the past few weeks and it's been working out pretty well.
I feel the same way. I've been in a bourbon club the last few years and the single barrel picks have been awesome, but I'm finding myself buying less and less bourbon and I'd like to get off facebook (which is where they run the group) so I'm going to leave the group and shut down FB. I'm going to transition back to mainstream bourbons, reasonably priced store picks, and rum. Bourbon game just hasn't been that fun to me in a few years.

I'll ask the question nobody has asked yet: how much did this run you?

It came from an NC ABC store so retail. With tax it was approximately $107. NC ABC gets a lot of grief but if you’re in a fair and honest county it can work pretty well for the buyer.

I feel the same way. I've been in a bourbon club the last few years and the single barrel picks have been awesome, but I'm finding myself buying less and less bourbon and I'd like to get off facebook (which is where they run the group) so I'm going to leave the group and shut down FB. I'm going to transition back to mainstream bourbons, reasonably priced store picks, and rum. Bourbon game just hasn't been that fun to me in a few years

I feel the same way. I've been in a bourbon club the last few years and the single barrel picks have been awesome, but I'm finding myself buying less and less bourbon and I'd like to get off facebook (which is where they run the group) so I'm going to leave the group and shut down FB. I'm going to transition back to mainstream bourbons, reasonably priced store picks, and rum. Bourbon game just hasn't been that fun to me in a few years.
This is me. The place I shop has everything I need (mainstreams) and if he has anything special he will usually let me know, but he also knows I am not going above about $75 for anything.

It came from an NC ABC store so retail. With tax it was approximately $107. NC ABC gets a lot of grief but if you’re in a fair and honest county it can work pretty well for the buyer.
that is so motherfucking reasonable

mazel tov

Jesus Whiskey 15 is Dailuaine 15 Year Old 2005 (cask 13904) - Old Particular (Douglas Laing) (96.8 pf). Oh wow, this hits hard with chocolate and orange. Like eating one of those Lindt truffles. A little bit of oakiness and a nice sweetness. Very very smooth, but still has a robust flavor. This is defs one of my favorites so far. Really solid scotch and one I would love to have again.

Jesus Whiskey 15 is Dailuaine 15 Year Old 2005 (cask 13904) - Old Particular (Douglas Laing) (96.8 pf). Oh wow, this hits hard with chocolate and orange. Like eating one of those Lindt truffles. A little bit of oakiness and a nice sweetness. Very very smooth, but still has a robust flavor. This is defs one of my favorites so far. Really solid scotch and one I would love to have again.
How much was your calendar?

There are a number of different ones that range in price. I think this one was something like $229. Worth every penny for me. It’s one of my favorite things and I look forward to it every year. And my dad, brother and I get the same box every year and have a running daily text chain about what we’re getting. Gets us talking more regularly than we probably would otherwise, which is nice.

What kind of cream?

What does fold in egg whites mean? Is that a fancy word for add in egg whites?

Regular whipping cream as to question 1. As to question 2, pour the egg whites into the rest of the mixture slowly, stirring as you go. Made a fresh batch last night for a get together next week! It keeps longer than you think, too. That 100 proof bourbon seems to be an excellent preservative.

Was traveling over the weekend and forgot my drams, so this is a threefer tonight. So Jesus whiskey 16 is Fettercairn 8 Year Old 2012 (cask 14663) - Provenance (Douglas Laing) (92 pf). Although Scotch, this immediately reminds me of a nice Irish whiskey. Nutty and buttery and pretty sweet. Very smooth and easy to drink. Is very nice to drink, though not going to blow anyone away or really impress. Just something nice to drink.

Whiskey 17 is Tamdhu 8 Year Old 2012 (cask 14665) - Provenance (Douglas Laing) (92 pf). Super strong nose on this one, like a fudge shop. I get toffee and nuttiness and a decent amount of smokiness. It’s super tasty and very different from whiskey 16.

And whiskey 18 is Cherry Bakewell Tart 22 Year Old 1996 - Wemyss Malts (Glen Keith) (92 pf). Smells like a PX sherry, though doesn’t taste like a sherried whiskey (because it isn’t). Lots of fresh fruit, which I guess where the name comes from. A little nutty and a little malty too. This is really an excellent scotch, and one I wish I could have more of. Defs in the top few of the calendar so far.

Jesus Whiskey 19 is Edradour 10 Year Old 2011 (cask 188) - Un-Chillfiltered Collection (Signatory) (92 pf). I’ve had a few Signatory bottlings over they years and they’ve been hit or miss for me. Aaaaaaand, I think this one is a miss. The initial thing I get is a strong butter coffee. There’s a lot of chocolate, but the bitterness is a little too much for me. It’s mellowed out after a couple of sips, but that just might be the heat drowning it out. Confirms that I’ll probs continue to steer clear of random Signatory bottles going forward unless I know for sure that I like one in particular.

I shop but I don't stress in NC. You get lucky ever now and then. In last few years I've gotten George T Stagg, Stagg Jr, Old Fitz BiB among others. All at MSRP. (Old Fitz was a lottery win, the others I got just by showing up - no special relationships). On Friday I popped in a store in Nash County and on the shelf they had Elijah Craig BP C922, EC Toasted Barrel, and Bookers. And I get a lot of single barrel picks through reddit lotteries where you pay up a little but not too much.

I think maybe I'm over the bourbon thing. Drank quite a few different varieties and most were ok, but few got my attention as unique or different. Perhaps that's because bourbons are limited in their ingredients. I thought Walking Stick was pretty original, and there was one from Washington State that had been aged in port barrels that was good too-- not too "porty." But in the end, I found myself always going back to Maker's Mark.

I bought a bottle of scotch (just the basic Glenmorangie 10), and while it was a bit lighter on the tongue than I prefer my bourbon, I thought it was perfectly fine, probably preferable to most of the bourbons I've had.

Back