• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Van Winkle 12 for $40 would be a great deal. I'm pretty sure I've seen ~$60-70 the few times I found it.

Ever since the Maxim article the entire Van Winkle line has gotten jacked up in price. Before that, the Old Rip Van Winkle 12 year (there's really no such thing as a 12 year Pappy bourbon) was $40, Pappy 15 was $60, 20 was $100 and the elite 23 was $185 or so. The 15 is very good, but the 20 and 23 are ridiculous.

Now it just depends on how popular the area is for bourbon. Some places in Jersey still have the above prices - we cleaned out one store a few months ago, snagged 2 15's, 3 20's, and 2 23's at the above prices. The watergate liquor store in DC had a 23 for $299. Too damn popular...

Big fan of the 12, especially value-wise

Reminds me of these:

goetze-caramel-creams-2.jpg

Went to the Catoctin Creek Distillery in Purciville, VA today. Very small operation. Have had their stuff a number of times but still cool to do the tasting there. Their rye is decent and is pretty cheap.

Went to the Catoctin Creek Distillery in Purciville, VA today. Very small operation. Have had their stuff a number of times but still cool to do the tasting there. Their rye is decent and is pretty cheap.

That is my go-to at Boundary Stone when I'm just trying to drink some decent whiskey on the cheap(er). We actually had a talk today about whether or not Purciville was a real place... soooo, good timing on that front. I need to get out there.

That is my go-to at Boundary Stone when I'm just trying to drink some decent whiskey on the cheap(er). We actually had a talk today about whether or not Purciville was a real place... soooo, good timing on that front. I need to get out there.

While Purciville is a real place, there isn't much there. And it's a hike from DC. But the people there are really friendly and the operation is really cool in that they are a zero waste facility. They use the "head" from the distillation process as an industrial cleaner, the "heart" for making the whiskey, and the "tail" gets re-distilled to become the neutral spirit for the base of their gin. The mash is then sent to local farms free of charge because it's an excellent organic feed stock that the cows love (they call it mooshine). I'm sure this is quite common among all distilleries, but cool to see in person.

So I started three batches of homemade marachino cherries for manhattans last night. One has orange peel, one has vanilla and one is regular. I'm going to see how they turn out and will likely combine or try some new things I've seen online like nutmeg, sea salt or almond. They should be ready in about 2 weeks, so I'll report back. Anyone else tried this with good results.

So I started three batches of homemade marachino cherries for manhattans last night. One has orange peel, one has vanilla and one is regular. I'm going to see how they turn out and will likely combine or try some new things I've seen online like nutmeg, sea salt or almond. They should be ready in about 2 weeks, so I'll report back. Anyone else tried this with good results.

Did the same thing a while back. Turned out great. Also picked up a barrel on ebay and did barrel-aged manhattans.

If you haven't tried it, try to find some of this for the vermouth...

VyaBottles.jpg

Did the same thing a while back. Turned out great. Also picked up a barrel on ebay and did barrel-aged manhattans.

If you haven't tried it, try to find some of this for the vermouth...

VyaBottles.jpg

Barrel-aged manhattans sound intriguing so I just hit the google machine. I think I will have to try this.

Vya is good stuff. Punt e Mes also is also an interesting twist on a manhattan. Dolin is what I use most of the time.

I got it from these guys (although I bought it from their ebay store):

http://www.1000oaksbarrel.com/

Sealed perfectly and made the best Manhattan I've ever had. Went with a combination of Regan's and Angustora bitters, Vya Sweet Vermouth, Woodford Reserve Bourbon. I know a true Manhattan is made with Rye but I was serving to a bourbon loving crowd. We did some blind taste tests with identically mixed non-aged versions and it was simple to pick out the winner.

Heard from a friend that he did a barrel-aged Negroni that also turned out great. Looking forward to my next excuse to make 2 liters of a cocktail...

Heard from a friend that he did a barrel-aged Negroni that also turned out great. Looking forward to my next excuse to make 2 liters of a cocktail...

I might have to do a barrel for tailgates this year.

I got it from these guys (although I bought it from their ebay store):

http://www.1000oaksbarrel.com/

Sealed perfectly and made the best Manhattan I've ever had. Went with a combination of Regan's and Angustora bitters, Vya Sweet Vermouth, Woodford Reserve Bourbon. I know a true Manhattan is made with Rye but I was serving to a bourbon loving crowd. We did some blind taste tests with identically mixed non-aged versions and it was simple to pick out the winner.

How do you clean the barrel, if you will at all, before the next batch?

They give you a small pill to put in after a few uses, soda ash or something, fill with water for a few days and you're good. When to clean depends on what you're making - wine you'd clean every time, spirits I think it's every 3-4 uses.

Bought some pre-made, barrel aged manhattens from High West tonight. I'd been hesitant to buy it for a while, but it is actually really good.

Also bought a Willett today. This batch is HOT. It burns like no Willett I've had before... but it's wicked fucking good.

Back