• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Last night I was informed that a shot of Makers in a glass of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout makes it more bourbony if that's what you're going for. I may man up and give it a try in the future

GIBCS is one of the best beers in the world. I love me some bourbon, but I am not going to fuck around with one of my favorite beers ever.

A shot of bourbon makes something taste more like bourbon? No wai!

lol...my point is that its supposed to semi-subtly enhance that flavoring as opposed to just ruining it.

So far through two days of my advent calendar (i resisted the urge to open today's scotch before I left for work - mostly because I would likely have opened it to smell, and would have then likely poured it in a glass and enjoyed it, which probs isn't all that good of an idea at 7:15 on a work day), I've gotten a Yamakazi 12 year, which is always solid, and a steller Glenfarclas 30 year. This advent calendar thing is going to be an annual tradition for me until the earlier of (i) my death or (ii) they stop making it.

I'd like to pick up a high end bottle of bourbon $100-150 as a gift. Eagle Rare 17 and Michter's 10 Single Barrel seem highly regarded. Thoughts?

I'd like to pick up a high end bottle of bourbon $100-150 as a gift. Eagle Rare 17 and Michter's 10 Single Barrel seem highly regarded. Thoughts?

I could test each and tell you which is better. That way you can get it right.

Eagle Rare 17 is good stuff, no doubt. I think I prefer the Michters 10, but at this level of quality it's a matter of personal taste. But if I were spending that kind of money, I might look at a Parker's Heritage Reserve (there are a few varieties, but the last one I got was around $135), or even a 17 yr Willett that will run you in the $120 range.

Thanks dkn and discdude. I can't seem to find the Parker's Heritage 27 anywhere which would have been one of my first choices.

I saw on another thread that you are coming to DC soon. You may be able to find it at Bacchus Wine Cellar in Georgetown. I'm pretty sure I saw it there recently.

I saw on another thread that you are coming to DC soon. You may be able to find it at Bacchus Wine Cellar in Georgetown. I'm pretty sure I saw it there recently.

Oh, and either Ace Beveridge or Schneider's may have it.

Jefferson Presidential Select 18 year. It's wheated and made by Stitzel-Weller who have historically had a very close relationship with the Van Winkle family.

Today's advent goodie was Four Roses Single Batch. The anise flavor I'm getting from it is really interesting. I like it.

Jefferson Presidential Select 18 year. It's wheated and made by Stitzel-Weller who have historically had a very close relationship with the Van Winkle family.

That's a solid whiskey. Excellent suggestion.

being a bourbon noob, is the 4 roses single batch different from the single barrel?

Haven't tried Bulleit yet, but just purchased a bottle of Larceny. Good stuff! Worth a try!

I haven't had bulleit straight up in a while, but it's great in cocktails. For the price, I don't mind keeping a bottle around the house.

dkn I will be in DC tomorrow through Saturday with most of Friday free and a 1PM flight on Saturday so I may try to hit that place in Gtown. If not the Jefferson appears to be available several places online.

Back