• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

First I had a Goose Island Bourbon County Stout.

Then I had Parker's Heritage Cognac Barrel Finished Bourbon.

Good night!

I'll do a full list with short reviews at the end, but yesterday's was a Lagavulin 16 yr. I've had this countless times. My dad loves it, and I like it, but it's not my favorite. It is smooth and I like the texture, but the peat is way overpowering. I know that's right in a lot of people's sweet spot, but Lagavulin takes it to a different level. As an after dinner drink to just relax with it's good, but starting off with it is not a great idea.

I peaked at today's selection but didn't think a 7:00 a.m. drink would be appropriate. It's a Caol Ila 12 year. I've had this a lot as well, though it's been a little while. I recall it being peaty, but nowhere near the Lagavulin. I will see tonight when I get home.

So the Caol was as I remembered. It's a good introductory scotch for those that want to get into good peaty scotch. Way more mild than Lagavulin. The same can be said for today's offering, Dalwhinie 15 yr, except that the Dalwhinnie is superior, IMO.

Today advent whiskey is Jamison. There's really nothing to say about this one.

Was about to pull the trigger on Noah's Mill last night, but ended up going with Four Roses instead. Facepalm

Which Four Roses did you go with? If it's the Small Batch or Single Barrel, I'd say you did much better than Noah's Mill! Noah's Mill just always has a hot taste to me...even the old 15 year stuff that they used to put out (the current bottle is NAS).

Today's advent whiskey is Glanfarclas 105, a cask strength goodie. I'm really digging this, and will have to find a bottle.

I'm new to this forum, but was excited to see a bourbon thread. wfudkn, it looks like you have some good bottles, after a quick scan through through the thread. Love that bottle of Vintage 17. I have one open and another in the bunker. Terrific stuff.

Bears, I got the Single Barrel Four Roses. I'm new to bourbon and having the disposable funds to buy it. I'm lucky I'm so close to Kentucky now.

Bears, I got the Single Barrel Four Roses. I'm new to bourbon and having the disposable funds to buy it. I'm lucky I'm so close to Kentucky now.

I think Four Roses is putting some of the best stuff out right now. The Limited Edition Small Batch (usually around $80ish) is always fantastic, as are the Limited Edition Single Barrels. Four Roses is unique because they have 10 different mashbills (two recipes and five different strains of yeast). You can find the mashbills on the Four Roses website.

Just as an FYI - the standard Single Barrel is the OBSV mashbill.

Drinking a little Wild Turkey Kentucky Spirit from 2002 this evening. The current version is a shadow of what it used to be. This older stuff is very tasty.

I think Four Roses is putting some of the best stuff out right now. The Limited Edition Small Batch (usually around $80ish) is always fantastic, as are the Limited Edition Single Barrels. Four Roses is unique because they have 10 different mashbills (two recipes and five different strains of yeast). You can find the mashbills on the Four Roses website.

Just as an FYI - the standard Single Barrel is the OBSV mashbill.

The generic small batch is one of my favorites out there. I'd love to drink Blanton's every day, but its out of my price range.

The generic small batch is one of my favorites out there. I'd love to drink Blanton's every day, but its out of my price range.

The Small Batch is a good, easy drinking bourbon. It's a blend of four mashbills - OBSK, OBSO, OESK, and OESO. The bottom shelf Yellow Label is a blend of all 10 mashbills.

When we did the bourbon tour, surprisingly the yellow label was my least favorite of all the bourbons we tried. I dont remember exactly why I didnt like it, but it just didnt suit me. Its crazy considering the Small Batch was one of my favorites.

When we did the bourbon tour, surprisingly the yellow label was my least favorite of all the bourbons we tried. I dont remember exactly why I didnt like it, but it just didnt suit me. Its crazy considering the Small Batch was one of my favorites.

I'm not a big fan of the Yellow Label either. It's young and a blend of all 10 mashbills. Just doesn't quite do it for me. Good enough to dump in coke or ginger ale though.

So yesterday's advent offering was a Longmorn 16 year. This is a really nice scotch. Light to medium, nutty, peppy, not too much peat. Seems like it may be difficult to find here in the states.

Back