• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Were you finally approved? Post in the "New to Straightbourbon" section. I know he was behind with regard to approving new members for a while...

Funny you bring it up. I just got approved yesterday. Completely forgot about it until I got an email.

I'm with you. Local store had Eagle Rare single barrel at $20 a fifth. I didn't care much for it at the $30 price point, but it tastes much better now haha.

Bought two bottles of James E Pepper today. One is the 15 yr bourbon, the other is the straight rye. Both are great. Really digging the bourbon right now.

Bears, any insight on Willett barrel 9652?

I haven't heard anything about that one before, Buckets. Is it bourbon or rye? Also, do you know the age and proof? Also, if you know the store where you saw it I can ask some guys I know in LA.

Here's a guy's LA Food and Whiskey blog that I know - sku's recent eats

Last edited:
Went out with a buddy tonight and had some George t stagg and some 146 proof Abraham bowman. Both were pretty spectacular.

I haven't heard anything about that one before, Buckets. Is it bourbon or rye? Also, do you know the age and proof? Also, if you know the store where you saw it I can ask some guys I know in LA.

Here's a guy's LA Food and Whiskey blog that I know - sku's recent eats

the store was beverage warehouse in marina del rey. pretty sure a bourbon, but didn't mark down the proof/age.

this sku guys is cool as shit, would love to go dusting one saturday. the LA whiskey society seems pretty pretentious though.

Very nice. Was the Bowman a rye or a bourbon?

It was bourbon. I liked it better than the Stagg, but I still really liked the Stagg. The Bowman had a little bit deeper flavor and a bit more caramel. And it was relatively smooth despite being so strong.

It was bourbon. I liked it better than the Stagg, but I still really liked the Stagg. The Bowman had a little bit deeper flavor and a bit more caramel. And it was relatively smooth despite being so strong.

Interesting. Bowman and Stagg are both made by Buffalo Trace, but I think the Stagg is the higher corn recipe (like Eagle Rare, Buffalo Trace, and Col. EH Taylor) and the Bowman is the lower corn recipe (like Blanton's, Elmer T. Lee, and Rock Hill Farms). The Bowman is then shipped to the A. Smith Bowman distillery in Virginia and aged there. The difference in weather and location definitely creates a unique product.

Am finally finishing off a bottle of Willet that is just too harsh. 131 proof, and very very hot. I like hot whiskey, but this one is so hot that it overpowers the flavors.

Am finally finishing off a bottle of Willet that is just too harsh. 131 proof, and very very hot. I like hot whiskey, but this one is so hot that it overpowers the flavors.

The William Larue Weller 2009 is like that. Even when you cut it way down it just has a hot/harsh flavor to it.

Back