• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

Had a Zamazaki 18 yr after dinner tonight. It is really fucking good. Very smooth, but still has some nice heat.

Hit the ABC store today, and the only Weller they had was the 107 proof. Good Lord, that is some MAN whiskey. Smooth tasting, then it hits you. I'm feeling the start of a cold, so I've thrown some into my Hot Toddy. I should be feeling no pain by the start of the VCU game at 8pm. Thanks for the tip...It is on sale at the High Point ABC for 19 and change.

dammit bears. now there's another bourbon i've gotta pick up.

(OGD = Old Grand Dad)

It's a near barrel proof bourbon (114 proof) at $20-$25 bucks....not bad at all. I wouldn't be surprised if this gets discontinued in the next year or so (hopefully I'm wrong though).

OGD114, OGD BIB, OGD 86pf and Basil Hayden's use a higher rye mashbill than Jim Beam White, Booker's, Baker's, Knob Creek, etc. The thing that is unique is that OGD114 and Basil Hayden's come off the still at a lower proof than the other products (if I'm recalling correctly). This means more flavor is retained when it goes into the barrel. Basil Hayden's is only 80 proof, so a lot of that flavor is lost due to how much it is watered down...if ever a bourbon was over priced, it's this one. OGD114 is a couple of years younger (6yrs vs. 8yrs), but the proof makes up for the flavor.

This isn't a bourbon that you're going to want to sit and savor for a long time. It's not terribly complex, but it has good flavor, a good proof, and a very nice price.

Here you go, buckets. A picture list of things to pick up. In addition to the Weller line, of course.

u4epu9az.jpg

y8ymeju7.jpg

tuty3y6e.jpg

ymugenez.jpg
- Any Four Roses product Small Batch and above.

Last edited:
LA still had a lot of dusties in some very suspect places. If you're in a ghetto ass store and worried about being shot look for the following gems:

a9asa2a2.jpg

epenarab.jpg
- look for either the smooth dark top or pewter top. Don't pick up the other versions.

navutu3u.jpg
- Make sure any Old Fitz that you buy says DSP-KY-16. This is the Stitzel Weller distillery.

e2yma9ed.jpg

u6y2agep.jpg

eve9a8er.jpg
- Old Grand Dad and Old Taylor from National Distillers (ND). You know it's from ND if the UPC code is 86259.

Last edited:
I tried this at a friends house a few weeks ago, because I'd never had it. It was quite tasty.

It's a rye whiskey, so that means it is at least 51% rye (a lot of ryes are higher than that), but it's just barely above 51%. This makes it drink more like a bourbon than a rye. You can typically find this under $20.

Another rye to look for is Wild Turkey Rye 101. The 101 proof has been discontinued in favor of the WT Rye 81 proof, but the 81 proof is it is not nearly as good. If you see the WT Rye 101 on the shelf I'd suggest you buy it. Should be in the $22 - $26 range.

Last edited:
I generally hit up the big ABC store in downtown Greensboro and their bourbon selection is shit despite it being the largest store in the county (i believe). Does anyone else who lives in Greensboro have better luck at other locations?

Here you go, buckets. A picture list of things to pick up. In addition to the Weller line, of course.

u4epu9az.jpg

y8ymeju7.jpg

tuty3y6e.jpg

ymugenez.jpg
- Any Four Roses product Small Batch and above.

I almost did this pick up, but substitute out the Grandad for Weller Special Reserve.

Here are my quick thoughts on this. Just remember that prices can vary depending on market and taste is subjective.

Under $20
*Rittenhouse BIB (rye whiskey - 100pf)
*Weller Special Reserve (wheated bourbon - 90pf)
Very Old Barton BIB (rye bourbon - 100pf - limited distribution of the BIB version)

$20 - $30
*Old Weller Antique (wheated bourbon - 107pf)
Weller 12 (wheated bourbon - 90pf - 12 years)
Four Roses Small Batch (rye bourbon)
*Buffalo Trace (rye bourbon)
Elijah Craig 12 (rye bourbon - 12 years) - I'm not a huge fan of this one, but many people consider it to be very good
Elmer T. Lee (rye bourbon)
*Old Grand Dad 114 (rye bourbon - 114 pf) - the only Beam product worth buying, in my opinion...I've had some decent Bookers, but that's also a higher price point.
Sazerac (rye whiskey)

$30 - $50
Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 (wheated bourbon - good if you can find it...usually overpriced)
Rock Hill Farms (rye bourbon - 100pf) - I enjoy this one, but it can vary, since it's a single barrel. Also a little expensive for what you get.
Wild Turkey Rare Breed (rye bourbon)
*Four Roses Single Barrel (rye bourbon - OBSV recipe)

$50+
- all of these are limited or yearly releases
*Four Roses Limited Edition Small Batch (rye bourbon) - usually excellent.
*Van Winkle Family Reserve Rye (rye whiskey) - hard to find but very good...the only Van Winkle that I would actually look for
*Buffalo Trace Antique Collection (George T. Stagg, William Larue Weller, Sazerac 18, Eagle Rare 17, Thomas H. Handy) - the only one that I look for is the William Larue Weller. Second and third choice are Stagg and Saz 18. Handy is good, but overpriced for youngish rye whiskey.
*Parker Heritage Collection - I didn't find this years to be particularly good, but some people have said it's one of their favorite whiskeys of all time. Even though I didn't like it, this is a top class yearly release.

I'm sure there are others that I am forgetting.

Off the top of my head (that I have tried):

Lower - Elijah Craig 12 year, Buffalo Trace, Bulleit, Makers
Middle - Blantons, Michters, Bookers, Basil Hayden's, Van Winkle Family Reserve 12 year, Pappy Van Winkle 15
Top - Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year (Highest rated bourbon in the world), Jefferson Presidential Select, PVW 23

tsy, think you could copy this into the first post or something?

tsy, think you could copy this into the first post or something?

Hell, I just copied it and emailed to my phone. That way I always have my Bears and Deacs Approved Bourbon List (TM) when I'm at the store. :)

Kidding aside, I use Evernote to keep track of stuff like this. I have my liquor cabinet inventory stored in there, so when I'm at the store I can check it and and remember that I'm out of rye or stop myself from buying Cointreau when I already have a dusty bottle in the back.

Last edited:
Without having to go back through and find the posts, if you'll get me the post numbers I'll do it.

I already did. Click the arrow in the quotes. it takes you to the post thats quoted.

The_More_You_Know.jpg

Anyways I picked up the Old Weller Antique 107. $21

Not that it's the greatest, but Maker's is on sale in MoCo for you DC terps. 750ML for 18 something, 20 with tax.

picked up a cold so i'm going to try out that hot toddy recipe DeacWatcher posted

Originally Posted by DeacWatcher
These were the directions on the Toddy.

Hot Toddy

In a large cup, combine 1 spoonful honey, juice of ¼ lemon, 1 cinnamon stick, small dash cayenne (optional but recommended) and the tea bag of your choice. Stick 3 cloves into 1 small lemon wedge and add to the cup. Pour in a slug of bourbon, as much or as little as you like. Fill cup with boiling water, stir well and let steep 5 minutes. Savor slowly; repeat as necessary.

Back