• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Good bourbon

NICE! just reserved a bottle of black maple hill from a little shop here to pick up tomorrow

Going over to the dark side tonight (scotch). Springbank 10 in the glass after getting home.

I had lunch today at McCormack and Schmick's and they had a bottle of Johnny Blue. I asked the bartender how often she had to get it down and what it cost...

She had gotten it down three times in the previous week... but it was only $27 a drink.

I would have guessed it would have been a lot more than that.

I had lunch today at McCormack and Schmick's and they had a bottle of Johnny Blue. I asked the bartender how often she had to get it down and what it cost...

She had gotten it down three times in the previous week... but it was only $27 a drink.

I would have guessed it would have been a lot more than that.

I don't get why anyone would ever buy Johnny Walker Blue. It's decent enough, but I wouldn't pay more than $50 for it. Like all Johnny Walker offerings, it's a blend of malts (not even a single malt) and JW Blue doesn't even have an age statement. At least the other whiskies have an age statement on the bottle. Very overpriced and low proof, but I guess someone out there is buying it.

If someone wants to buy some Johnny Walker (especially to store away for a while), pick up all the Green Label that you can (it's the 15 year offering). It was discontinued at the end of 2011 and stocks are projected to run out sometime this year. I'll periodically buy a bottle just to stick away even though I don't drink scotch. Ten years down the road it will be fun to open a bottle that is no longer made.

I was still surprised in a place the inflates prices significantly that johnny blue was only $27... I was expecting significantly more.

I was still surprised in a place the inflates prices significantly that johnny blue was only $27... I was expecting significantly more.

Very true. Although if you think of a standard pour as 1.5oz (not sure what McCormack and Schmick's standard pour is) that would give approx. 15 pours per bottle. 15 * $27 is $407...a 100% markup on the normal price.

Lol @ having to go to Maryland for liquor

some people live there :noidea:

I think I've bought alcohol in Montgomery County exactly once, but I think they have some pretty retarded laws/restrictions so its better than someone in like Rockville going to Howard County or DC.

picked up a cold so i'm going to try out that hot toddy recipe DeacWatcher posted

Originally Posted by DeacWatcher
These were the directions on the Toddy.

Hot Toddy

In a large cup, combine 1 spoonful honey, juice of ¼ lemon, 1 cinnamon stick, small dash cayenne (optional but recommended) and the tea bag of your choice. Stick 3 cloves into 1 small lemon wedge and add to the cup. Pour in a slug of bourbon, as much or as little as you like. Fill cup with boiling water, stir well and let steep 5 minutes. Savor slowly; repeat as necessary.

Its the bomb and I'd like to take credit for it but its from the WSJ.

some people live there :noidea:

I think I've bought alcohol in Montgomery County exactly once, but I think they have some pretty retarded laws/restrictions so its better than someone in like Rockville going to Howard County or DC.

He said DC terps. Not Maryland terps.

I interpreted it as metro area or anybody that would be in MoCo. Thats a cheap price regardless.

Not sure I've seen you weigh in on Black Maple Hill, Bears. One of my favorite bourbons, and a real treat.

Hit the ABC store today, and the only Weller they had was the 107 proof. Good Lord, that is some MAN whiskey. Smooth tasting, then it hits you. I'm feeling the start of a cold, so I've thrown some into my Hot Toddy. I should be feeling no pain by the start of the VCU game at 8pm. Thanks for the tip...It is on sale at the High Point ABC for 19 and change.

Same for Raleigh. Good stuff and thanks for the tip folks

Obviously I meant "DC area Deacs" not "DC terps" so I apologize. The funniest part was they evidently got stuck with bunch of liters of 42 percent Makers. You would think that would be the sale. Nope, 18 for a 750 of the full strength, 30 for a liter of the 42.

Not sure I've seen you weigh in on Black Maple Hill, Bears. One of my favorite bourbons, and a real treat.

Black Maple Hill is sourced whiskey, so you never know what you'll get in the bottle or from which distillery it comes. I've had BMH that is very good, BMH that is just ok, and BMH that is very bad and out of balance. Because of this I usually don't recommend it unless you know what you are getting. For me, the price is usually a little too high to take a chance on when I have other stuff that I know I like and will drink more often.

Last edited:
bears... what is the difference between four roses single barrel OBSF and OESF?

Back